“Adequate, older hotel that needs some staff training” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis
“Adequate, older hotel that needs some staff training”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

My partner (just along for the ride) and I checked in lateish on a Friday night after a very long day - I'd started in Boston, then Chicago and Minneapolis all that day on business. At check in, staff was friendly and prompt, but seemed unable to understand that two men might actually want a king room. We'd been given two doubles, and when I asked about the bed arrangement, the two young guys behind the counter laughed and joked at the idea of giving us one bed - it did not feel at all hostile, just that they could not actually imagine that we were gay.

I did not specifically ask to get a different room, in part because my previous experiences with sleep number beds have not been great so separate beds seemed a sensible choice to try for a restful night. I had a 7:30 meeting in the morning. In the elevator on our way to the room, my partner and I agreed that the desk clerks seemed utterly clueless about the possible existence of gay travelers, at least two men who (I guess) are not 'stereotypical.'

The room was spacious and comfortable (though after two more nights I am still not convinced about sleep numbers -- my partner liked them, so it's really a personal preference thing). The bathroom was one weak spot. Towels were very stiff and ‘nubbly’, the shower head just dribbled, and there was a very unsightly discoloration of the wallpaper to the left of the commode (this was surprising as the room & bath overall had a nice clean feel).

Furniture seems dated but solid and cared-for. I am pretty sure the furniture (not beds or bedding) are the same as a stay back in about 1998. The heating unit was a bit noisy starting and stopping but worked well.

The other problem with the hotel -- and other area where training and standards could use a spruce-up -- was a Saturday night emergency situation. The fire alarm went off at about 1:30 a.m. I dressed quickly and joined others from my mid-level floor heading down the fire stairs. At the lobby level, no one seemed to know what was happening or who was in charge.

We were eventually told by a very casually clad, unbadged person that we "should leave the building." By this time the alarm was off and a few uniformed fire fighters were having a look around. There never were any PA announcements that I heard regarding the alarm or any sort of all-clear. I have no idea if everyone evacuated or how folks decided what to do. It was quite disorganized.

My impression was that staff were untrained in what to do in this situation. The lack of a name tag or business attire of the front desk person contributed to the sense that no one was in charge. At some point she did give an all-clear just at spoken level to those around her, and everyone soon noticed and either lined up for the elevators or trudged up the stairs (it was going to take a long time for two elevators to get everyone back up).

I do not fault the hotel at all for the alarm - I overheard that it appeared to have to do with some technical problem in the basement. But the disorganized response of staff seems to indicate that it could have been a more serious situation had an actual emergency been happening. Good training can address this.

I would stay at this hotel again, especially at the rate I got for this trip...but I'd hope to see a bit more front desk professionalism next time -- both in dealing with LGBT travelers and (let’s hope no need for) emergency preparedness.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Snowman00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Burnsville, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

I would not have traded the experience I had at this hotel for anything. The rooms were great. The front desk was outstanding and service staff was willing to grab or help out in anyway we needed. I travel a lot for business and have seen great hotels, however, the service my husband and I received while on a little getaway was outstanding. I have already told my company about this and we plan on making this our hotel of choice. Thanks for the great experience and we will be back this summer with the kids.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zadora, Zadora Warzonek - Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Thank you for your review. I was so pleased to read about your wonderful stay you had with us earlier this year! We look forward to your visit over the summer!
Aurora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

I've stayed at the Radisson in Duluth off and on for a few years now. If you're in Duluth it is by far the best location. Convenient to Canal Park, the DECC, downtown, Superior, UMD, UWS, St. Scholastica and the Duluth Airport. I've paid top dollar to stay here at times. The only time I do that is if there is no where else to stay in Duluth or Superior. There are other times it's been one of the CHEAPEST places to stay! That's when you pick the Radisson without hesitation. Ask for a lower rate and a lot of times if they are slow you'll get it. The last time I stayed here it was less expensive than the Super 8.

The Top of the Harbor Revolving Restaurant is also very nice and not out of this world expensive. The food is good, not out of this world, but the price is upper moderate. Make a reservation if it's the weekend. An awesome view.

The Radisson has a nice heated indoor pool, whirlpool and sauna. I use the whirlpool a lot and it's pretty nice.

Overall, if you get a good price on it, book it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zadora, Zadora Warzonek - Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, March 29, 2009
Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you travel frequently to Duluth and choose to stay at the Radisson whenever possible. I was also happy to read that you enjoy dinning at the Top of the Harbor, the view is stunning. On be half of the staff here at the Radisson Duluth we look forward to your visit the next time your travels bring your to Duluth.
Midwesterner007
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

The Radisson has been in fixture in Duluth for a number of years. For it's age it is in pretty good shape. It is still pleasant to visit and the staff has been friendly on the numerous occasions that I've had to go there.

One special thing about the Radisson is the revolving restaurant on the hotel's top which offers the best view of the city anywhere. It's nice and certainly unique. They have pretty good food and the Sunday brunch has been a local favorite for a long time. Although they might be a little outshone in newer carpets/fixtures by the (limited) number of new hotels in the area the Radisson still should offer a very pleasant stay.

PS: Previous posters have complained about car break-ins. Unfortunately, that is a fact of life in Duluth which is not immune to crime even though it is a smaller city. I don't think that street parking would have been any different.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zadora, Zadora Warzonek - Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, February 24, 2009
Midwesterner007 -
Thank you very much for your review. I look forward to meeting you when your travels bring you back to Duluth.
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

The Radisson in Duluth is an okay hotel overall. I've read a lot of the reviews and agree with some of the comments. The hotel is a bit out of date and the bathrooms are small. However, it was clean and the staff was very nice. Regardless of the side of the hotel you are on, the views are amazing, especially the views of the harbor. The pool area was pretty big. We spent three nights and enjoyed our time there. However, there are parking issues. Luckily, the hotel wasn't full, so we had ample parking spots, but several cars were broken into in the undergroud ramp area. If you can, park on the top level. At least then, some of the rooms have a view of the lot and the lighting is better. There are signs that warn you that they are not responsible for items stolen from your car, but to have 7 or 8 cars be broken into is not good. You would think that they could hire a security person to walk through the grounds or have cameras installed in the ramp. We were lucky, but I feel for those folks that had something like that ruin their trip. I didn't think the location of the hotel is bad at all... there are just some opportunistic losers out there. I am torn on recommending this hotel. Yesterday, I would have said "absolutely," but after seeing all of those smashed windows, I am inclined to tell you to avoid it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

We booked our room on a Hotwire deal at the last minute. I assumed that because we were a hotwire reservation and a late Friday evening arrival that we'd have a view of the parking lot. Instead we had an 8th floor room looking right out into the harbor. The check-in staff was great, the staff at checkout was a little less so - college student on phone ordering food while we waited - but no problems with check out. THe hotel itself feels a little dated, and the rooms are smaller than what you might find at other 3 star hotels, but our room was very clean and looked well maintained. The pool area was one of the nicer ones we have found at a Duluth hotel. We did not have the chance to try the restaurant, so no comment on that. Overall we were impressed with the Radisson and will likely return on a future trip to Duluth.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rt3
tamiharris, Management Company at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, November 19, 2008
Thank you so much for your review. We are truely looking forward to you staying with us again in the near future!
Sartell
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at this property as a guest of a convention that was paying for my room. This payment was confirmed at check in. I needed to be at a web conference that required java. Java does not work in this hotel. either the server can't handle the bandwidth or there is a java blocker installed on the server, ergo I could not make my web meeting. Upon my return saturday evening there was not a parking space to be had so I had to park on the street. A huge headache to begin with made worse by the city of Duluth's overnight parking ban. I drove for 20 minutes and got six blocks from the hotel and still could not find a place to park. So I parked on the street and got a ticket. When I checked out Sunday morning the front desk did not have my billing information from the convention so I had to pay for my own room. They also didn't care that I had received a ticket for parking on the street. The only comment was "Parking is a problem here". I didn't receive a response to my query" Where do you park?" I didn't get a response about the lack of Java either. The irony is that I got better web service on the street in front of the Holiday Inn 2 blocks away. When I informed them of this i got the shoulder shrug. I also did not get a response to my email outling my experience. On my next trip to the Duluth Superior area I will stay in Superior.

• Disliked — parking, poor internet, lack of service, billing error
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gadgetsdad
tamiharris, Management Company at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, November 16, 2008
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us. I am requested an explaination from our internet service provider as we have web meetings frequently in the hotel.

I can also understand your frustration with parking in downtown Duluth. I apologize that the parking issues effected your stay with us.

I know that as a leading provider of Yes I Can Service in Duluth, we can do a much better job of providing you with the services you expect. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels