“Not up to Radisson Quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Selkirk, Canada
“Not up to Radisson Quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked the room through Priceline and glad we had the discount. We would have been really disappointed if we paid the full price. We picked a four star to treat ourselves at the end of our holiday. Upon checking into the room, we dropped our bags and went up to the revolving restaurant as it was late and we had not had supper. The views were very nice from the restaurant. The food was very good, but we felt our waitress wanted to go home.
We returned to our room and upon closer inspection we found the room to be in need of some upgrades. My wife looked between the bed and the night table and was discusted by the dirt. She went down to the reception and they upgraded us to a lakeview room. This room seemed to be in better condition than the previous room but still showed signs of aging.
The beds had a comfort control to allow you to change the firmness. We had a good sleep. The room darkening shades had seen some better days. you could see white spots where the room darkening material was no longer there. In both rooms the baseboards near the air conditioner were long overdue for replacement.
We had breakfast in the restaurant, and again the views were very nice.
The parking was on-site and convenient.

• 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Radisson should meam quality, their claim to fame. The must have forgottenn about Duluth. We had a harbor view room for about $250/night. The room small, the carpet frayed, the bed squeaked and with the slightest move, the towels Motel 6 quality at best (and small), ice machines out on 2 of 3 floors above and below us. The only positive comment, I guess, would be it appeared clean. Having visited 62 countries, and all 7 continents we were hard pressed to come up with a worse value for the price. Radisson really hurts the corperate image with this facilty. Our advice, check the other facilties in Duluth like should have done.

Carl R

Room Tip: Read the hotel reviews and pick another hotel.
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed one night (this past Saturday night) September 14. The lobby is nice, the front desk is young and average for service, nothing spectacular. Our room was gross. We had stains on the walls, floor, and the bed sheets themselves! Yuk! The room was small and dingy and smelled funny. The bed was literally broken and made funny noises when either my wife or I moved in bed. The sleep number beds did not work (I overheard another guest complaining about it as well).

The restaurant on top was great for terrific views but was terrible for service. When you were seated, we finally gave up being served and went to the bar ourselves after waiting for 15 minutes.

We ate breakfast in the restaurant this am but found the service again lacking. The order was messed up an they clearly did not have a lot of staff to take cAre of the customers. We felt sorry for the older lady waiting on us. She had to be lower 70's and she was bussing her own tables and made change right at our table!!?? The food was average but pricey so don't think family at this place. You get a better value eating at most chain restaurants and you would certainly have better service.

My wife and I agree, we will NEVER stay here again! And we are not overly picky people. We politely told the staff upon departure the bed was broke (literally) an the sleep number did not work an that was it. We never asked for a discount either. They will laugh to the bank this time but there will never be second unless this place is rehabbed significantly and managed much better. GROSS!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Francisogonz
Carlson Hotels C, Specialist, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care at CCare@CarlsonRezidor.com.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked a room here last night because it was pouring rain and our tent was leaking. Thankfully, I booked it for 1/2 off the list price through Priceline.

You would think that for $200/night (the regular price,) you could expect a modern room with great amenities. Wrong. The a/c unit was probably the original unit from when the hotel was built, the room décor screams 1980s, and there is a 19 inch CRT tv. Most of the higher end hotels I have stayed in also have soft towels - the towels here were thin and scratchy. Would it kill you to use some fabric softener? I'm not sure if they were understaffed or what, but there was only one guy working at the front desk. When I went in to check in, he was having a conversation with a guy about why they had kicked him out when he was booked through the weekend. Well, after several minutes of going back and forth and getting the manager involved, the guest realizes that he told them the wrong room number. Umm, wouldn't you look him up by name if there was a problem? We then tried to park only to find the parking lot full, and you cannot park on the streets around the hotel. So, I went back in and the same desk clerk was trying to call a cab for a couple that was standing there. He had to call at least 2 cab companies before anyone answered. Then the people wanted to know the number to call for the hotel shuttle for when they came back from wherever they were going. The clerk didn't have any business cards, so he was trying to look it up on the internet, couldn't find it, went in the back, came back out and checked the computer again. Then he found it. Seriously, you don't know the phone number where you work?! The elevators were VERY slow, and the one we rode this morning was also making a horrible noise. Scary. We were there to sleep, so we did not check out the pool, bar, or fancy restaurant.

I would not stay here again unless I could get it for less than $70/night.

Cumberland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

After reading reviews on this hotel, I was a little leery. We were staying in Duluth for our anniversary, so I wanted it to be nice. Whether I stay at a 1 star motel or a 5 star resort, I expect the same things out of both: Cleanliness and Guest service. And this place had both of those.

We arrived around 4:15pm, and were greeted with a smiling and very nice front desk agent, I believe his name was Aaron. He checked us right in, explained parking, and directed us to our room. We arrived to our room. The lobby was beautifully decorated, as seen in my pictures.

The room itself was nice, with a soft color pallet. A sleep number bed with white fluffy bedding and plenty of pillows. I immediately turned the thermostat down, as I prefer a cooler room, and in no time the room was cool. We had a beautiful view of downtown, Canal Park, Lake Superior, and the Lift Bridge. We had a small refrigerator and microwave and free wi-fi. I called Aaron at the front desk to ask if I needed a password for the wi-fi, and he explained to me where/how to find it. Aaron gave a great Guest Service during our stay.

I ventured to the pool area to find it completely empty. Enjoyed the hot tub. There was floor to ceiling windows with views of downtown. I also took a dip in the pool. It was nice to relax without a bunch of screaming kids around. The pool/spa area stayed open until midnight, which was also a plus. There was a maintenance man checking the pool chemical levels, and he helped me figure out the jets in the hot tub. Good guest service, again.

I drive my husband crazy, because every time I check in to a hotel I inspect the room like Anthony Melchiorri. And the room was CLEAN!

I did note a few things, that may have bothered some, but it didn't bother us, and wouldn't hinder us from staying there again:
-The elevator was loud and clunky.
-The room decor didn't match the modern Lobby.
-There was some rust in the grout work around the tub.
-The fridge door opened poorly because of the plush carpet (nice soft plush carpet)
-No breakfast included. I realize it's more of a business hotel, but this amenity would be nice.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in the future. And, with our experience in mind, we recommend for others to give them a try as well.

Room Tip: get a tower room with views of the lake and harbor.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

After reading the negative reviews we were very skeptical of staying here. However, Check in was a breeze and the clerks very friendly. Our room on the 14th floor was clean. The rugs spotless. We had 2 double beds with spotless sheets, etc. the numbers worked on the beds. We had a 37 " LG flat screen TV. Internet was spot on, not slow. the pool area was clean and so was the water in the pool and hot tub. It is an older hotel- and will be totally renovated starting this fall under a new Radisson Group. The elevator was decent given the age of the hotel. Yes, there are stains on the rugs in the hallway but you can tell that it is as clean as it can be given the age of the hotel. The bathroom was clean and not moldy smelling. I don't think I stayed in the same hotel as the people making the negative comments- Yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The 14th floor worked for us- good view of the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013 in 2 non-consecutive nights. The staff and service were inconsistent: on the first stay, the person at the desk gave me a map of the area and answered my questions; on my second stay, when I asked about the location of a nearby restaurant, the different person at the desk told me to walk around, and I'd see it. She actually said that. Service in the restaurant was similarly inconsistent. At lunch, the server seemed to disappear. I waited so long for my meal, that I asked another server to please check on my order. At breakfast there was prompt service.
Signs in the room indicate Sleep Number Beds, but the remote didn't work, and I was told it couldn't be fixed.
The airport shuttle left without me, but since Duluth airport is small, it wasn't a problem.
Bottom line: the Holiday Inn might be a better choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo