“Hotel is closed; customer service non-existent”

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Hotel is closed; customer service non-existent”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel has been closed since March 2013 due to electrical damage from a water main break. The opening date moves back two weeks every two weeks and is now said to be June 2, which is posted nowhere on any corporate site, but is what the person who answers the hotel phone reports.

Called hotel to cancel, was told they had no electricity and couldn't do it. The number I was given by the hotel staff for cancelling reservations couldn't provide that assistance, either. I also had to inform them that the hotel had been closed for over a month. Was given a third number to call during business hours the next day.

Avoid this hotel, now and anytime in the near future. The corporate support is poor, as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Craig J
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Craig,

I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you endured with our customer service team. You should never have had to go through so many people just to cancel a reservation. We should have been able to make you aware of the hotel's situation with the water main more effectively. We will work on communication and I will pass your feedback onto the appropriate management at the property. Please contact the Sales Office directly if you have any further questions.

218-727-1490
Radisson Customer Relations
Melissa Ratai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were excited to spend a few days at the Radisson Hotel Duluth for a couple reasons:
1) To try out the sleep number beds
2) To eat at the JJ Astor restaurant

We checked in about 2 p.m on Wednesday March 13. I had put on my on-line (Raddison) reservation that we'd like to check in a little early as we were arriving in town early (I also asked for a confirmation of that but never got that -- should have been my first clue). We got there and the young lady was pleasant. She asked me if I needed two beds - I said yes. She sent us up to the third floor anex (over the parking lot). The room did NOT have sleep number beds or fridge/microwave as my reservation had specified. I went back down to the desk (left my spouse/son in room). She said that there were no sleep number rooms available yet. So told me I could stay in the room and check back later. So we went out into the city for about an hour. Came back and she had keys ready for me. We went to the first room, got our luggage and went up to the 5th floor. Got to the room and heard young children inside. Left my spouse/son in the hallway and back down to the desk. I told her there was someone in our room and she said she tried to catch but we went too fast. So gave us our THIRD room keys. And I had to ASK about breakfast which was supposed to be included part of my reservation. She seemed annoyed and gave me two breakfasts to be used by the 15th - then I think because of the hassle we'd been through added a third breakfast coupon.

Got to the room - they DID have Sleep number beds but one of them didn't work. And there wasn't a fridge or microwave as promised. Decided we'd make the best of it.

This all could have been avoided if she had asked me if we really wanted a sleep number bed and then said none were available until 3. And if she had really looked at the reservation.

I believe the hotel is going to be going under renovations. The lobby is lovely. The hallways and rooms - need a lot of work. The halls smell like stale smoke -- even on the non-smoking areas -- gross! The pool area is pretty pathetic as is the small game room.

Fortunately and unfortunately, we were sleeping when they evacuated this hotel because of the water mane broke in front of the hotel (from our Duluth friends this is a common occurance in Duluth -- so no fault of their own. They knocked on our door about 10:15 p.m. or so (knock, knock, knock "Hotel Management") and told we were to pack up our belongings, there was a watermane brake, water was shut off and we were being moved to another hotel. Imagine the lobby filled with confused guests, luggage, firefighters, etc. The process was fairly smooth as we were told to go to the Holiday Inn down the road and we wouldn't have to pay for that night's stay at the Radisson or the Holiday Inn. I asked if that applied to our "BOGO" nights stay. They said they'd have to honor it -- and to show the reservation information to the Holiday Inn staff.

While our stay at Holiday Inn was nice -- we were still disappointed we didn't get to try the sleep number beds or eat at the rotating restaurant JJ Astor -- the reasons we stayed at a Radisson!

Room Tip: When it reopens - ask to be away from the fire department (annex I think) as it could be quite noisy...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that you had an unfortunate experience during your stay at the Radisson Hotel in Duluth, Mn. We pride ourselves in training our employees how to make good customer service decisions. It sounds like you did not recieve the "Yes I Can" service that the Radisson is known for. Will you please consider our hotel again in the future? We would like to make your stay as comfortable as possible with us next time you travel to Duluth.

Melisssa Ratai

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I have been to A LOT of hotels And I can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have ever been to. First all, they have sleep number beds (gross) so if you share a full bed with some one it's basically like sleeping on an air mattress. Secondly the customer service was so horrible!!! We got to the Hotel at 10 pm so happy to go to the hot tub (as was the only reason we reserved the room) when we got down to the hot tub the water was LUKE WARM!!! It was horrible! We told the front desk and he told us he has "never heard of the issue and the tub was just checked." We asked him for a discount & his response to that was "you can check out if you want." Super rude!
Finally another reason I will never stay there is all during the night there were sirens! All.night.long!
The only good thing about this hotel was the restaurant. Really nice restaurant with a good view and food. Maybe next time I'll save my money on the hotel and just have a good meal at the restaurant!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Morrison88
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for your experience at the Radisson. We would like to make it up to you; during your next stay with us. Please give us another opportunity to WOW you. We want to offer you the "Yes I Can Service!"

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Duluth Radisson while on business. Our corporate rate is $60/night so I thought I was getting a good deal. The hotel is in a convenient location and at first glance it looked very nice with an updated lobby. I was assigned room 328 - all the way at the end of the hall in the annex section, not the tower. This had to be one of the most outdated and old rooms I have ever stayed in. When I could get a wifi signal it was very weak and would only stay for 5-10 minutes before dropping out. A total disappointment. I just don't understand the rationale behind giving someone who is traveling with a corporate rate a terrible room. The reason we have a corporate rate is that we are in Duluth/Superior very often. One would think that a frequent traveler would get a decent room due to the volume of business they bring. The hotel couldn't have even been 20% full based on the parking lot. I will be taking all my future business to the Holiday Inn Express in Superior and will be happily paying them a higher rate. Duluth Radisson, your poor first impression cost you my 25+ annual nights in Duluth/Superior.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank MUcyclist06
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry for your poor first impression of our hotel. We would be happy to offer you a room upgrade for your future stays with us. We would like to locate you in a tower room, with an excellent view of the city. You are an important client of ours and we hope you give us another chance to impress you during your business outings in Duluth / Superior.

We do offer a renowned restaurant with unforgettable views of the city and Lake Superior. We hope you will stay with us again and dine in our exquisite restaurant.

Customer Service Manager
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night while my grandpa was in the hospital. The parking situation was VERY poor and since I had my 5 month old daughter really made it hard since I had to park across the street........
Got the room for $60, so great deal since I just needed somewhere to sleep. The room was also pretty far so made hauling my daughter and I in very difficult. There also is no fridge or microwave in the room. Room was decent just to sleep. Also pretty poor noise control between rooms. I could hear everything such as people walking in the hallway and talking quietly. One other note, had to go to a different floor to get ice. They also do have shuttles to and from the hospital however it took the driver over an hour and a half to pick my mom up at the hospital and bring her back. Loved that they had a shuttle to and from the hospital. Decent for a place to just sleep. Stayed at the edgewater once before and they put me in a room that was several blocks from main hotel since I was also here for medical reasons for a family member in the hospital---didn't like that I had to stay several blocks from main hotel........

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hilaryleon
MN
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Really the problems started at check in as the room we had reserved was not reserved correctly. We reserved the presidential suite with an adjoining room and recieved a petite suite and another room on another floor.

The lobby is run down. Immediately I noticed fingerprints on light fixtures and stains on some of the furniture. I guess I notice cleanliness after helping my Father run a restaurant for many years as a kid. Even the elevator has some wierd gross looking blanket as the walls covering up nice stainless steel? Not sure if they are trying to prevent scratches or what but it looked terrible.

The rooms including the "suites" are outdated and small. We had a tube tv from the 90s. The windows would not close all the way because the spinning handle would just spin and not close the window so you had to pull it in by hand but it would still stay open a crack. Nasty water stains on our ceiling.

The staff was fairly nice and did try and help us but if you switch rooms you just end up switching to another delopodated room with other problems. But it was kind of fun to seek them out, kind of like an easter egg hunt. Hey... toilet doesn't flush... key doesn't work... heat is on full blast... etc. The hot tub was out for several hours as well and is about the size of a bath tub.

There is simply zero pride of ownership in this property. Maybe they are struggling financially and can't afford to do simple cleaning and proper maintenance I'm not sure but they certainly aren't getting many repeat customers with this type of proprety.

The only positive was it's central downtown location but there are many other properties in the vicinity and the restaurant at the top had delicious walleye sandwiches... I mean really good. They also had a nice jazz band playing.

Room Tip: Avoid the concierge rooms. It's annoying to always have to use a key.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with your guest room and various other neglected areas of the hotel. We are trying our best to keep the hotel looking neat and clean as we are an older brand; however we are looking forward to renovations in the next year.

We hope to stimulate new clients and grab the attention of people such as yourself who appreciate our great location and fine restaurant. Please do consider us for a future stay as we will do our best to update our overall look.

Kasson, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview right after Christmas, again this year. The hotel is a little older, and when we first got our room, it was VERY cold. After a call to the front desk and a visit from the fix it man, our room warmed up. The pool area is nice and large, although the morning of the day we were departing the hot tub was drained and it shouldn't have been. I was disappointed with this. We had breakfast at the top of the tower, it was a nice breakfast. What I was most impressed with, happened a month after we stayed. We didn't realize we had left our camara battery and charger in our room until we were home and 4 weeks had gone by and we needed our camera charged. We realized we must have left it in our hotel room. After a call to the hotel and a message left in housekeeping, I got a return call stating they did have a camera battery and charger. The best part of this was, they shipped it to us for free and we had it within a week of making our call. I was very impressed with this service and thought for sure we'd be out a battery and charger.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family