“Very friendly staff but poor communication skills between staff.”

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
“Very friendly staff but poor communication skills between staff.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night while my grandpa was in the hospital. The parking situation was VERY poor and since I had my 5 month old daughter really made it hard since I had to park across the street........
Got the room for $60, so great deal since I just needed somewhere to sleep. The room was also pretty far so made hauling my daughter and I in very difficult. There also is no fridge or microwave in the room. Room was decent just to sleep. Also pretty poor noise control between rooms. I could hear everything such as people walking in the hallway and talking quietly. One other note, had to go to a different floor to get ice. They also do have shuttles to and from the hospital however it took the driver over an hour and a half to pick my mom up at the hospital and bring her back. Loved that they had a shuttle to and from the hospital. Decent for a place to just sleep. Stayed at the edgewater once before and they put me in a room that was several blocks from main hotel since I was also here for medical reasons for a family member in the hospital---didn't like that I had to stay several blocks from main hotel........

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hilaryleon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
MN
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Really the problems started at check in as the room we had reserved was not reserved correctly. We reserved the presidential suite with an adjoining room and recieved a petite suite and another room on another floor.

The lobby is run down. Immediately I noticed fingerprints on light fixtures and stains on some of the furniture. I guess I notice cleanliness after helping my Father run a restaurant for many years as a kid. Even the elevator has some wierd gross looking blanket as the walls covering up nice stainless steel? Not sure if they are trying to prevent scratches or what but it looked terrible.

The rooms including the "suites" are outdated and small. We had a tube tv from the 90s. The windows would not close all the way because the spinning handle would just spin and not close the window so you had to pull it in by hand but it would still stay open a crack. Nasty water stains on our ceiling.

The staff was fairly nice and did try and help us but if you switch rooms you just end up switching to another delopodated room with other problems. But it was kind of fun to seek them out, kind of like an easter egg hunt. Hey... toilet doesn't flush... key doesn't work... heat is on full blast... etc. The hot tub was out for several hours as well and is about the size of a bath tub.

There is simply zero pride of ownership in this property. Maybe they are struggling financially and can't afford to do simple cleaning and proper maintenance I'm not sure but they certainly aren't getting many repeat customers with this type of proprety.

The only positive was it's central downtown location but there are many other properties in the vicinity and the restaurant at the top had delicious walleye sandwiches... I mean really good. They also had a nice jazz band playing.

Room Tip: Avoid the concierge rooms. It's annoying to always have to use a key.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with your guest room and various other neglected areas of the hotel. We are trying our best to keep the hotel looking neat and clean as we are an older brand; however we are looking forward to renovations in the next year.

We hope to stimulate new clients and grab the attention of people such as yourself who appreciate our great location and fine restaurant. Please do consider us for a future stay as we will do our best to update our overall look.

Customer Relations Manager
Melissa Ratai

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Kasson, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview right after Christmas, again this year. The hotel is a little older, and when we first got our room, it was VERY cold. After a call to the front desk and a visit from the fix it man, our room warmed up. The pool area is nice and large, although the morning of the day we were departing the hot tub was drained and it shouldn't have been. I was disappointed with this. We had breakfast at the top of the tower, it was a nice breakfast. What I was most impressed with, happened a month after we stayed. We didn't realize we had left our camara battery and charger in our room until we were home and 4 weeks had gone by and we needed our camera charged. We realized we must have left it in our hotel room. After a call to the hotel and a message left in housekeeping, I got a return call stating they did have a camera battery and charger. The best part of this was, they shipped it to us for free and we had it within a week of making our call. I was very impressed with this service and thought for sure we'd be out a battery and charger.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in the tower for three weeks while here on business. My room was on the 14th floor and faced right towards none other then the city fire department (seems I always pick the hotels right by the local fire department). As for the room, it was small but usable. It was a tad outdated, as the sink in the bathroom was cracked, the bed creaked, and the TV which touted it had HBO did not have HBO on it (not that I needed it). The bed was a Sleep Number bed, but it didn't work very well and the pillow were absolutely awful (small, like Chick-let small). There was no microwave or fridge in the room, which meant I couldn't eat in room without bringing along my cooler. There was also a connecting door between my room and the room next door, but when another guest was ever in that other room, it sounded like they were right in my bathroom as the door did not provide much sound barrier. I heard every cough, phone call, and alarm through that door.
I did enjoy that fact that it is connected to most of downtown through the Skywalk system in Duluth. The restaurant servers in the revolving eatery on the top floor were very friendly and the food was good. Parking seemed adequate. Didn't use the pool or hot tub. Did use the exercise room which seemed well equipped and clean.
So the big question, "Would I stay at this hotel again?" I would. I'll just ask for a nicer room next time....

Room Tip: If in the tower, try to get a room facing the bay. More noise if on west side facing the fire stati...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Poor customer service. front desk people were rude and when we had a problem they didn't show ANY concern or make us feel at ease about the situation. Parking was a pain and drove around for a half an hour trying to find a spot. The rooms were okay...but we had some weird stains on both our bed sheets, curtains don't close all the way so was hard to sleep with all the light coming in, and the rooms are a little outdated. I and my husband & friends that were with us, DEFINITELY would NOT stay or recommend this hotel to ANYONE!!!!!! :(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry for the experience you had during you stay with us. Parking can be a bit of a hassle when we are busy on the weekends; however there are very simply ways around solving the issue and it sounds like you were not offered any guidance. I have passed your review onto the appropriate management to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for your feedback.

Melissa Ratai
Guest Relations Manager
Pacifica, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times, ever since I was a kid traveling with my parents, so my memory of this hotel goes ay back. On my most recent stay right before the holidays in 2012 I was very pleasantly surprised at the remodel job on the hotel. I believe in my previous stay it was underway, so I was very happy to see the improvements they made in the hotel. The lobby was dramatically different and improved, lots of lounge room as well as space to work. The restaurant at the top of the hotel is also greatly improved, and the quality of food and service was great. Rooms have received an update and are clean and redecorated. On my most recent stay I was in the tower, the staff had placed us on the top floor to give us some distance from a large group that was staying the hotel for the night. The view was wonderful (hillside) the only issue was the intermittent creaking or slight noise from the rotating restaurant above. However, they turn the rotation off after 10 PM, so it wasn't a noise problem at night. The location for this hotel is ideal for downtown Duluth, right on the skywalk system as well as on one end of Superior Street next to the Library, the Depot and the Great Lakes Aquarium. I do know that during upgrades hotels are at a disadvantage to impress, but definitely give this one another try, the upgrades and remodel have made a great difference.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are nice for your first stay, but if you want to save a bit of money on your return...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mpls, MN
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Radisson Duluth is in a great location. They've got convenient and free parking. The lobby is fun and funky, but when you get up to the rooms the fun and fancy ends there. The blackout curtains did not close completely and were ripped and full of holes that let in the light. The carpet had huge stains in numerous places.There was lots of visible mold on the ceiling in the bathroom.
We were in town for a funeral and my brother and I stayed in a room with two double beds. One of the two Sleep Number beds was broken and deflated. I got in late and it was midnight when I sat on the bed and realized it was broken so, in defense of the Radisson, I did not call and ask them to fix it or find us a new room -- we had to get up too early. They did offer free breakfast coupons upon checkout, but we were on the way out the door to the funeral and couldn't take them up on it. A small discount on the overall bill would have been a nice gesture.The service was good, but the accommodations were sub-par (even discounting the broken bed). On the upswing, the view is beautiful, but this property could use a SERIOUS upgrade.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family