“Great location, looks fun and fancy, but rooms are shabby” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Mpls, MN
“Great location, looks fun and fancy, but rooms are shabby”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Radisson Duluth is in a great location. They've got convenient and free parking. The lobby is fun and funky, but when you get up to the rooms the fun and fancy ends there. The blackout curtains did not close completely and were ripped and full of holes that let in the light. The carpet had huge stains in numerous places.There was lots of visible mold on the ceiling in the bathroom.
We were in town for a funeral and my brother and I stayed in a room with two double beds. One of the two Sleep Number beds was broken and deflated. I got in late and it was midnight when I sat on the bed and realized it was broken so, in defense of the Radisson, I did not call and ask them to fix it or find us a new room -- we had to get up too early. They did offer free breakfast coupons upon checkout, but we were on the way out the door to the funeral and couldn't take them up on it. A small discount on the overall bill would have been a nice gesture.The service was good, but the accommodations were sub-par (even discounting the broken bed). On the upswing, the view is beautiful, but this property could use a SERIOUS upgrade.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SocialViz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Forest Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I travel for my career on a regular basis, this was the first time that I have stayed at the Radisson Duluth, I try to stay at my "regular" hotels as the service is usually the best as the Hotel teams recognize me when I arrive, being my firt stay I did not expect the high quality of service that I encountered. Shawna made me feel welcomed and went above and beyond to satisfy all of my needs she treated me as if I had been staying at the Hotel fpr years, will not stay anywhere else when I am in Duluth!
Michelle Terry

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My only regret is that I didn't check Tripadvisor before I booked this hotel. I booked a junior sweet for 119.99. Check in was fine, however upon arrival in the room I was immediately concerned. The window was cracked open, and the cracks with filled with bathroom tissues. The ceiling was stained in numerous places as well. I returned to the front desk to request a different room. The gentleman expressed no apology or general concern regarding my disappointment for the room. He stated numerous times, "We don't have any other suites left." before giving us a regular King room. I was about to leave the desk with the key when it occurred to me that I had paid for a suite and I was getting a regular room. I asked what the rate difference would be and he stated 89.99. The room we stayed in was not an improvement over the first. The wallpaper was coming off the walls, there were cigarette burns in both upholstered chairs and burns in numerous places on the carpet. Fortunately the room did not smell of cigarettes, however I believe third hand smoke is always present once a room is smoked in. We decided to checkout the hot tub Saturday night after a long day of hiking. This too was a mistake. The hot tub was large enough for 3-4 people at most and the water level was about 12" inches too low. I filled out an survey that was emailed to me by Radisson. (see below) The response I received from Nikolai Gybin the Assistant Front Office Manager apologized for the experience we had and stated the hotel would be renovated soon. Renovations will not make up for staff that is unapologetic for guests experience. Other responses on this site back in October refer cheerfully to the upcoming renovations. They are too little too late for me, I will not be visiting this or any other Carlson Companies property in the future. I used to think Radisson was an upscale brand and a local Minnesota company I ought to support, however I will not do so in the future. A hotel in this condition does irreparable damage to a brand and is simply inexcusable.

2 Thank Shawn B
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience during your stay with us. I passed your review onto our General Manager. He will be in touch with you as he would like to make sure he can better the situation if possible.

Customer Relations Manager
Melissa Ratai

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past 2 years. Each time it's been just fine. It's not as bad as many people say...the elevators are manageable (hint: use the service elevator at busy times) the pool is okay, and the rooms are clean enough. Last time we stayed in the annex and despite the bad rep it gets, we liked the space and queen sized, non-sleep number beds. This time we stayed in the tower, because the annex was "closed". The view was great! The room is small though for a family of 4. The worst thing however is the sleep number beds. It feels like you are sleeping on a balloon. They are a pain to adjust and they deflate in the middle of the night. We left our two night stay with backaches and a resolve to only stay here again if the annex is available. We always get it through Priceline for cheap, but for full price we would be probably very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Love the Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview. I've been staying at this hotel for years and I am never disappointed. Great service, great accomondations, great everything. Save yourself the research time, stay here.

Room Tip: Look for specials a week in advance. There 's usually very good deals.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RHONDA H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, August 27, 2015
We have a few weeks left of great Summer activities here in Duluth. Labor Day is just around the corner; give us a call and we'd love to see you come back!

Rhonda H. - GM
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here on the weekend of December 14th to the 16th. First off the rooms have gone downhill and very noisy. You could hear the people in the next room, toilets flushing, showers etc. People banging on doors all hours of the night. Just a terrible, terrible stay and we will not stay again for the price of the room. We now take the short drive to Superior, Wisconsin and stay in a quiet, clean room for half the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. We are looking forward to hotel renovations in the near future. Please do consider us again, as we are working on diffusing some of the noise issues you had recently experienced.

Customer Relations Manager
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights here having had a very positive experience at the Radisson hotel in Minneapolis. This hotel does not match up however. Although the reception staff were friendly and helpful, and the local shuttle service is a helpful and friendly service, a number of issues left us disappointed. The lifts are old and temperamental: twice I stepped in, pressed the button to go to another floor and the lift went nowhere. Luckily the "open door" button still worked and I was able to get out and take the stairs. With no ice machine on our floor, I had to take the stairs to other floors to get ice but these machines were frequently out of order or out of ice.
Considering the Radisson reputation for quality, this hotel looked tired and poorly-kept. Furthermore, on the 3rd day of our stay, we returned in the afternoon to find that our key-card did not work. Having returned to the front desk to get this resolved, we went in to our room to find that it had not been made up as requested, even though we had left the room mid-morning.
We found the bathtubs small and the absence of a fridge in the room was also disappointing. All in all disappointing by Radisson standards.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your information onto the appropriate management in order to effectively solve the issues. We appreciate your comments and we will do our best to make it up to you and future guests to avoid the problems you mentioned.

Guest Relations