“Do not stay here!”

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My only regret is that I didn't check Tripadvisor before I booked this hotel. I booked a junior sweet for 119.99. Check in was fine, however upon arrival in the room I was immediately concerned. The window was cracked open, and the cracks with filled with bathroom tissues. The ceiling was stained in numerous places as well. I returned to the front desk to request a different room. The gentleman expressed no apology or general concern regarding my disappointment for the room. He stated numerous times, "We don't have any other suites left." before giving us a regular King room. I was about to leave the desk with the key when it occurred to me that I had paid for a suite and I was getting a regular room. I asked what the rate difference would be and he stated 89.99. The room we stayed in was not an improvement over the first. The wallpaper was coming off the walls, there were cigarette burns in both upholstered chairs and burns in numerous places on the carpet. Fortunately the room did not smell of cigarettes, however I believe third hand smoke is always present once a room is smoked in. We decided to checkout the hot tub Saturday night after a long day of hiking. This too was a mistake. The hot tub was large enough for 3-4 people at most and the water level was about 12" inches too low. I filled out an survey that was emailed to me by Radisson. (see below) The response I received from Nikolai Gybin the Assistant Front Office Manager apologized for the experience we had and stated the hotel would be renovated soon. Renovations will not make up for staff that is unapologetic for guests experience. Other responses on this site back in October refer cheerfully to the upcoming renovations. They are too little too late for me, I will not be visiting this or any other Carlson Companies property in the future. I used to think Radisson was an upscale brand and a local Minnesota company I ought to support, however I will not do so in the future. A hotel in this condition does irreparable damage to a brand and is simply inexcusable.

2  Thank Shawn B
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience during your stay with us. I passed your review onto our General Manager. He will be in touch with you as he would like to make sure he can better the situation if possible.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel 3 times in the past 2 years. Each time it's been just fine. It's not as bad as many people say...the elevators are manageable (hint: use the service elevator at busy times) the pool is okay, and the rooms are clean enough. Last time we stayed in the annex and despite the bad rep it gets, we liked the space and queen sized, non-sleep number beds. This time we stayed in the tower, because the annex was "closed". The view was great! The room is small though for a family of 4. The worst thing however is the sleep number beds. It feels like you are sleeping on a balloon. They are a pain to adjust and they deflate in the middle of the night. We left our two night stay with backaches and a resolve to only stay here again if the annex is available. We always get it through Priceline for cheap, but for full price we would be probably very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Love the Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview. I've been staying at this hotel for years and I am never disappointed. Great service, great accomondations, great everything. Save yourself the research time, stay here.

Room Tip: Look for specials a week in advance. There 's usually very good deals.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
RHONDA H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2015

We have a few weeks left of great Summer activities here in Duluth. Labor Day is just around the corner; give us a call and we'd love to see you come back!

Rhonda H. - GM

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here on the weekend of December 14th to the 16th. First off the rooms have gone downhill and very noisy. You could hear the people in the next room, toilets flushing, showers etc. People banging on doors all hours of the night. Just a terrible, terrible stay and we will not stay again for the price of the room. We now take the short drive to Superior, Wisconsin and stay in a quiet, clean room for half the price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. We are looking forward to hotel renovations in the near future. Please do consider us again, as we are working on diffusing some of the noise issues you had recently experienced.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed 3 nights here having had a very positive experience at the Radisson hotel in Minneapolis. This hotel does not match up however. Although the reception staff were friendly and helpful, and the local shuttle service is a helpful and friendly service, a number of issues left us disappointed. The lifts are old and temperamental: twice I stepped in, pressed the button to go to another floor and the lift went nowhere. Luckily the "open door" button still worked and I was able to get out and take the stairs. With no ice machine on our floor, I had to take the stairs to other floors to get ice but these machines were frequently out of order or out of ice.
Considering the Radisson reputation for quality, this hotel looked tired and poorly-kept. Furthermore, on the 3rd day of our stay, we returned in the afternoon to find that our key-card did not work. Having returned to the front desk to get this resolved, we went in to our room to find that it had not been made up as requested, even though we had left the room mid-morning.
We found the bathtubs small and the absence of a fridge in the room was also disappointing. All in all disappointing by Radisson standards.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass your information onto the appropriate management in order to effectively solve the issues. We appreciate your comments and we will do our best to make it up to you and future guests to avoid the problems you mentioned.

Guest Relations

Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I decided to go up to the resturant/ bar for a drink after our busy evening of see the lights of Bentleyville and dinner. It is has Duluths only rotating resturant and it is very pictureques. There were no tables available so we sat at the bar. This was fine. The servers and bar staff were very busy. My husband motioned to me to look at the bartender as she stuck her hand (arm) into a large olive jar and started to take out a chunky hand full of the little pearls. Then she proceeded to cut lemons, take out cherries (she used a spoon for this because it was a small bottle) and proceeded to do various other tasks without washing her hands or bothering to at least wipe off the previous smells and odors. we are not clean freaks, but should not these people be a little more sanitary? Maybe, this is standard practise today. we do not frequent bars much.

Room Tip: if you want a good room ask for the highest floor possible and street side.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We will make sure to address this issue immediately. I am very sorry you were subjected to this experience. I have passed on your feedback to the appropriate management in order to resolve the issue.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here as an engagment gift to scout out wedding venues. At check out was notified that the travel agecies pmt was declined and we needed to put on our credit card. I explained that I gave the confirmation number at check in and no one said anything about the situation. She said she would look into it and not charge my card until noon and would call me before. She left me a voicemail at 12:25 letting me know the issue was taken care of and my card would NOT be charged. (thankful I saved this voicemail!) three days later they charged my card. Contaced them AGAIN and they apologized and promised to refund the payment. After another two days called again and they again apologized and said would send email confirmation of reversal. I received an email saying I was responsible because they couldn't get the travel agencies payment to run again. I finally was able to speak to the GM and he took the "not my problem" approach to management. I asked why they wouldn't notify me before charging after leaving me a voicemail that said it wouldnt be charged; he had no answer or care. I also asked why not one of the represenatives told me when I called about the situation but instead told me the payment was a misake and they would reverse it? I considered this an unauthorized fraudulent charge on my credit card. I was able to call the travel agency who called the Radisson and rectified the siuation immediately; which would have saved a lot of time had the Radisson let me know immediately or even the second time I contacted them. As I told the desk clerk this was initially not their fault but instead the travel agencies. They took ownership of fault after leaving a voicemail stating they would not charge my card and than charging it four days later with no notification. All that they needed to do was let me know of the situation any of the times I called!!
The hotel is itself is average, just DON'T go into the Vending rooms (YUCK) filled with garbage broken glass and many floors have no ice machines!
Waiting on response from Attorney general and corporate radisson..

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your billing situation here at the hotel. On behalf of the Radisson; I apologize for the poor customer service you recieved during your stay. I have passed your review onto the appropriate management. We will do our best to resolve the issues at hand.

Thank you for your feedback.