“Past it's Prime but Adequate”

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Appleton, WI
“Past it's Prime but Adequate”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just returned home from a 3 night stay at the Radisson Harborview. My husband and I were in the city for Grandma's Marathon and booked the hotel rather last minute and because of the marathon there were almost no other lodging options available in the city. We paid (with taxes and fees) a little over $230 per night. With that said, I was expecting a pretty nice hotel although I'm sure rates may have been higher than normal because of the marathon.
I am pleased to report that the room was clean, that's the most important thing for us . Sleep number bed was good and linens were all fresh. The hotel was in a great location for the marathon and had a nice walkway system to our event destinations. The hotel staff was pleasant. Cocktails and lunch at the Bowery Bros. in the hotel lower level were nice and breakfast at the hotel's rooftop restaurant was also very nice. The Radisson also provided a complimentary hospitality suite for the runners which was very nice and much appreciated. Thank you Radisson Harborview for that!
Now for the not so good news. The room needed some updating. Worn around the edges, peeling sponge paint motif wallpaper in the very small bathroom. I've stayed in other older hotels and some have a very grand feel to them. This one just seemed to be stuck in the 80's. If it were my house I'd say time for an update. I found it to be odd that they had women greeting guests at the front door but they were not in any sort of uniform and I wasn't really sure at the time that they were hotel employees. One time I had to stop at the front desk to ask a question and again the ladies who helped me were not in any sort of uniform and to be honest were wearing outfits that I thought to be a little racy and believe me I'm far from being a prude. Just thought that being a Radisson Hotel they would be a bit more polished. I must say the staff were all helpful and friendly. On our second day, after arriving back at our room at 4pm after being out and about all day, we had not received housekeeping service so I went ahead and made the bed myself and tidied up the room a bit. At 6pm two housekeeper arrived at our door to let us know the gal who was in charge of our room had fallen behind so the were helping her out. We exchanged our used towels for fresh ones and I let them know we were all set. No big deal but again I thought the Radisson would be a little more on the ball. I must mention the air conditioning that was extremely loud and would shut off for about 5 minutes once the room cooled off and then WROOM, it would start up again. Finally we shut it off and opened a window. Lastly, as we were leaving we took the outside stairway to the parking lot where our car was parked and the stairs were badly and I mean badly crumbling with the railings rusty in poor condition. Really an eyesore. Next to the hotel in the parking lot was a ring old mismatched chairs where there was what appeared to be a maintenance man taking a break. Not a good final impression to leave guests with as they depart the hotel.
I wish my review was more positive but for $230+ per night, I was expecting more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I will start off with the negative to end on the positives. Check in was quick, front desk staff were not rude but not friendly. The bathroom is small and a little odd but no problem for one. We booked this room through priceline and I felt it was a tremendous value for the area. My room was very neat and clean. They had sleep number mattresses but I didn't have any luck with adjusting mine and neither did my father. The mattress was comfortable as it was. The view was very nice. For a hotel restaurant, it was excellent. It has the rotating restaurant on top and the food was very good. I am perplexed by the ridiculous low ratings given on hotels. People have become whining snobs!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Radisson is an older hotel and my biggest complaint would be the nightly rate for such an old and outdated hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

Booked lakeside room, they said they were out of them. Called to check this with reservations, they had several. Got to move from filthy concierge room wing to lakeside after complaining, room was full of Mosquitos! Had to move again, staff was rude and unhelpful. Lost original room, mosquito filled room and moved three different rooms in one night. Terrible experience after driving 700 miles all day to get to Duluth.

• Stayed May 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
I am very sorry that you were unhappy with your guest rooms. I am unsure as to how your room had so many mosquitos in it, perhaps someone left the window open. There is no excuse for rude service, our front desk has been doing some training recently I will b sure to post your comments for coaching and training purposes.
I know that as a leading provider of Yes I Can Service in Duluth, we can do a much better job of providing you with the services you expect. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Lindstrom, Minnesota
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel was very nice. Include sleep number beds and is located near everything. The view of the harbor is fantastic. Rooms were clean and spacious. My only complaint would be parking is in a dark ramp. It didn't bother me, but made my wife feel uncomfortable. The hotel is in the sky-way system and within waling distance of Canal Park without the Canal Park hotel prices. This hotel will definitely be added to my favorite Duluth hotels. We will stay again!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floors with a harbor view its worth the small increase in price
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pico Rivera, California
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Spent one night here prior to our trip to Vegas. The hotel is very centrally located and is very easy to find. Free parking was a nice surprise, especially at a downtown hotel. Upon check in we were offered an upgraded room for signing up for the Carlson Club card - which we took of course, and if given the opportunity, take the upgrade. The view of Lake Superior is quite spectacular. We were on the 12th floor and had a room with 2 double beds. The sleep number beds were alright, not the greatest beds, but once you get your optimal setting they are quite comfortable. The restaurant on the top floor was awesome. The food was amazing and dessert was awesome and the view is very cool, especially at night. The revolving floor was a little disorienting, but quite cool.

Room Tip: Take a lakeview upgrade - view will not disappoint
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Fenton, Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Radisson Harbor-View in May and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The rooms could use an update but were clean and neat. It is a round building so there is a wonderful view from each room. We were given the top floor after asking for a high floor. We looked down on the Canal Park area of museums, and restaurants and shops. Also we could see the Aerial Bridge and some of the docks. Really a great view. Watching ships go through as the bridge raises is pretty neat.
The sleep number beds are a bit of a challenge at first but when we figured them out we slept quite well.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a view of the bridge and harbor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple