“Do not pick this hotel!”

Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Fort Worth, Texas
“Do not pick this hotel!”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Rooms were very old with paint chipping on walls, carpet from 1970 and green folding chairs for "desk" chairs. We tried 2 different rooms even the upgrade in price and it just got worse. Finally left and got a fantastic room at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank DrDivaG
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with us. Our guest rooms have not been renovated since 2004, they are due to be updated and we are currently in the process of renovating them. We are hoping to have them complete in the spring.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and is the only way we know if we are doing things right or how we can improve. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Great location in the heart of Duluth, plenty of parking space right near the hotel. Nice big rooms with good breakfast option in the rotating restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. For the price they are charging for a night, it is probably the best deal in town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Roy_K_49
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
We hope to see you back again very soon!
Red Wing, Minnesota
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed in a tower room which was smaller but adequate with a great view. We took advantage of the free shuttle to canal park. Free stuff is always better isn't it. The staff was friendly and helpful. Slow elevator, oh well.

We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant which took f o r e v e r. It was overpriced but unique so it was worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We booked a one nite stay in Duluth, MN via hotwire and got this hotel...what a disappointment.
I have used hotwire.com to book hotels 3 times in the past 2 years for Duluth, MN, the first time we were rewarded with a beautiful stay at the Sheraton, and the last two times we were punished with a stay at the Radisson. Since our last stay there about 1.5 years ago, I thought things might have improved & while they have done some renovations to the lobby, it is nicely furnished, the rooms in the tower were small, cramped and loud, very very loud. We heard every single, voice, person walking by, door opening, closing, elevator, sneeze sniffle & groan and it was all nite long. I pretty much guess I will never be able to use hotwire.com to book a hotel in Duluth, MN again, as I do not want the displeasure of getting stuck with the Radisson.

Room Tip: No room is a good room as far as I am concerned
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gordon24freak
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and is the only way we know if we are doing things right or how we can improve. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know your concerns are our concerns!

Renovations to the hotel lobby and restaurants were completed in the summer of 2010. We are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms and hope to have them completed by the summer of 2012.

We take pride in being the leading provider of 'Yes I Can' service in Duluth. I hope that you will consider giving us sanother opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Oakes, North Dakota
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was a bit concerned after reading other reviews, but was very pleased with my stay at the Duluth Radisson. The hotel was very clean, which is very important to me. Rooms are large, service is excellent, parking is free. The hotel is on Superior Street and very convenient. I didn't eat at the restaurant but my coworkers said the food was very good. I did order breakfast room service one morning and it was excellent. The staff were gracious and upbeat and I think that's the mark of good management. My coworker had gotten a cheaper rate than I had when we booked our rooms. The hotel offered a deal that was better than either of our rates and it included a $15 breakfast coupon. I was very pleased with my stay here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

The hotel needs updating big time. The second floor smells of old cigarette smoke, parking is difficult after 8 pm, beds are uncomfortable, elevators are slow, fire exit signs are not clear, and location is in the old part of town. Though our room had a view of Lake Superior, the window was too high where you could not sit to enjoy the view. Housekeeping was very helpful. Front Desk could have been more attentive.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Popcorn0203
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I travel to Duluth often and have not stayed at the Radisson for a couple of years because of past experiences of mediocrity. When I stayed a little less than two weeks ago for the night, it was the result of a Hotwire booking. I can confidently say this hotel does not meet the standards of a Hotwire three-star hotel...

One thing that is clear to me is that the Radisson has taken some measures to attempt to improve their image and customer satisfaction. I think it will become obvious that the word "attempt" is key here. The Lobby has been re-designed, as has the main level bar and top of the hotel restaurant. However, beyond that, it's the same old Radisson. Personally, I can't figure out why so much time was spent on improving aspects of a hotel that are of so little consequence during a stay. I don't know about you, but I tend to spend most of my time in a hotel in the room (and sleeping). A fashionable lobby is a nice touch, but certainly not instrumental in my decision to stay at a particular hotel.

Personally, when I stay at a hotel, I care primarily about the condition of the room - bed comfort, room cleanliness, appropriate water pressure/volume, room appearance, amenities, etc. It is here where the Radisson fails - the aspects of a hotel stay that are important to most travelers. The rooms are quite outdated: the Sleep Number beds are ancient, the decor...everything - they're just not enough to compete with the many other properties in the area.

I didn't have the pleasure of investigating the pool area this time around. However, the fitness room is basically a death trap. Be careful if you use that multi-purpose machine for weightlifting.

The restaurants were much-improved in decor. The main level bar had a nice pub atmosphere and excellent service. I had a nice local beer which was brewed a few blocks away. SImilarly, the restaurant at the top had great food, service, and a beautiful view of the lake/city. My fiancee and I enjoyed some tasty omelettes there. Of course, the restaurant still rotates at the top. This gimmick is a nice novelty for some, although those experiencing the effects of a night on the town may want to steer clear.

The location of the Radisson is especially favorable in the summer - since it's right downtown on Superior St. It's easy to head to the local diners and shops and even to Canal Park.

Bottom line: the Radisson did not impress enough to lure me back into it's clutches. I would suggest that they focus their future efforts on improving aspects of the hotel that are important to the potential clients in which they hope to attract.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple