“Last minute accommodation was much appreciated!!!”

Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Lethbridge, AB
“Last minute accommodation was much appreciated!!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Never have I been so happy to hear someone say yes we have a room! Meant to only stay in town for the day, turned into a 3-day stay due to unforseen circumstances with a client. Person at front desk was awesome! Hotel is definatly older, but well-kept. Decent parking. Fridge in room. Comfy bed. Lots of hot water. Slight smoke smell on entering hotel, and only big issue we had was someone in the next room had a dog in their room (pet friendly hotel) and while they were away dog was barking like crazy for at least an hour. Call to front desk got the issue resolved within about 15 minutes. Would definatly come back here again, not a Hilton, but definatly recommend!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank kaylathebeancounter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Merrillville, Indiana
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I found many good things during my stay at the Days Inn Duluth. The room was clean and housekeeping was timely and thorough with cleaning. Never had to call for my room to be cleaned. I made good use of the refrigerator and coffee maker. I brought my own coffee and tea from home. Very comfortable beds, but pillows were a little too soft. The chair at the desk was very comfortable and I sat in it to watch T.V. and write my postcards. Shower was easy to get into and out of, not slippery. The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper roll located behind the door. It should've been to the left of the toilet for convenience. Even though I was in a non-smoking room, I did smell some smoke. I recommend bringing some spray for the room. This Days Inn has an excellent whirpool where you can relax. Just the right temperature, not too hot. There are extra towels in the spa. A big plus for me was the public computer in the lobby. It's free to use and no charge for printing. Also, the hotel serves popcorn around 5:00 p.m. everyday and freshly baked cookies around 8:00 p.m. daily (they make delicious chocolate chip cookies). They serve breakfast in the morning, but I didn't try the breakfast. I ate out instead. The hotel is located near a mall, so there are plenty of places to shop and eat. There is a Starbucks near the hotel. Also, Five Guys and Applebees is across from the hotel. There are many other places to eat within a mile of the hotel. Note: There is road construction and a detour on the way there. I drove up from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport on I-35, and the exit was closed. Follow signs to I-35 North and 53 North to get to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank birdlady07
Minnesota
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We had a nonsmoking room, however it still smelled in our room. The locks on the doors don't seem secure. You could hear people slamming doors and walking in the hallway during the night and am hours. Don't expect a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was ok at the hotel.
Located by a mall and many dinning options around.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Dog friendly, but did not have the dog with. Located up the hill by the Miller Hill Mall. You are right across the street from the mall and various bars and restaurants. Nice room and upscale furnishings. No pool that we saw, but a nice whirlpool. Very nice staff.
However, if you are not going to spend time in the room, stay at the Motel 6 down the hill.
Definitely hit the noon buffet at the Skyline Lounge in the bowling alley down the road. Cheap with a full salad bar, soups, hot dishes, and lots of pizzas.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The folks at this hotel really try hard to make the stay enjoyable, and the rooms were decent; however, even though we were 7 rooms or so away from the smoking area, we were overwhelmed by the cigarette smoke lingering in the halls. When we arrived home the clothes in our suitcase even smelled like cigarettes. We were on the second floor, maybe the first floor is better for non-smokers?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Duluthmanager, General Manager at Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
We have decided to go 100% smoke free at the Days Inn Duluth. We currently have 12 smoking rooms, all at the end of one hallway (both 1st and 2nd floor). The comments we have gotten from our non-smoking guests about the smoke smell in the halls has convinced us that we need to change to an entirely smoke free hotel. This change will take place on January 1 2012. Thank you for all your comments, they are very helpful.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Great place if your traveling with Dogs. Small pet fee but that's everywhere you travel. No breakfast served at least that I've ever seen.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past. The Days Inn Duluth is not an upscale hotel by any means, but it is clean and comfortable.
Positives: The room was clean. I liked it had a mini fridge; since I am seldom up in time for the complementary breakfast, I usually keep some milk and juice and a box of cereal in the room for when I do get up. The front desk staff is usually friendly and helpful. Most of the time when I returned to the hotel that night, I could smell something edible they had set out for the guests to snack on - like fresh popcorn, chips/salsa, cookies, etc.
Wireless internet in the rooms is reliable. There is a public computer in the lobby, for those who do not have laptops but need to check email or weather conditions. Each time after I depart, I receive a message from the company asking me to rate my stay. I receive a reply message from hotel management thanking me for my input.

Negatives: In the past I have always had a room on the second floor. This hotel has no elevator, but that has never been a concern for me. During this 3-night stay, I was assigned a room on the main floor. Although all the rooms appear to be non-smoking down this coridoor, the hallway always smells like smoke. The room also had some remnent smoke smell coming from the fan vent in the bathroom. I can only assume that the employees smoke in an area outside the laundry room facility and when this door is open to the hallway, the airflow brings it in. Also rooms on the main floor seem to be more noisy than the upstairs rooms. When people walk on the sideway outside, past the room, the sound comes in through the wall air conditioner - I woke up one morning thinking someone was actually in my room, when they were talking outside. The rolling desk chair in my room was broken and leaned forward. I was going to ask another be brought to my room, but each time I walked by the front desk they were busy with other guests. (Management was told in follow-up review.) Since Duluth is on the North Shore, this hotel charges more on the summer/fall season - more than I would like to pay for this level of hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, if possible