“one of the best Comfort Inns we've been to!”
Review of Comfort Inn West

Comfort Inn West
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wow! What a great place to stay! I was a little worried at first, when I looked online, it showed they had no rooms available, so I called the hotel directly and asked if they had rooms. They did and the young man taking my call was very pleasant/professional.

Easy to get to also. Coming up from the south, we just took exit 253B, took a left on 40th at the stop sign, then once you cross the bridge, take a right right into the hotel lot.

Upon check in, which was quick and easy, we met two very sweet young ladies who were very helpful. The property has 2 floors and an elevator.

Room was completely clean and spacious. A/C was already on so our room temp was just right. Nice big bathroom. What I liked about the bathroom is that the sink/counter had a shelf below so when we changed for swimming, we could put our clothes on the little shelf below instead of just on the floor like the kids normally do. Our room didn't have a microwave or fridge, which was okay. I actually called ahead to see if it did to know what we should pack for food. He told me right off the bat we didn't and even apologized! There's not a ton of plug ins in the room, but that really wasn't a big deal to us.

Swimming pool was huge as was the hottub. Pool was just a tad chilly, but the hottub was just right! We didn't use it, as it got crowded when we were ready to use it, but that's okay. Both were amazingly clean! Sauna was very nice as well. Pool open til 10 for kids and 11 for those over 18. They have a bar downstairs by the lobby. Lobby is huge and inviting. Computer in the lobby for those needing to use one.

2nd floor has an area with 3 tables overlooking the pool and there's even a little overview of the lobby area like a little balcony.

Stairs up to the 2nd floor were nice too, it wasn't the typical stairwell you normally find in hotels. Very open/clean. (these are the stairs just off the lobby, we didn't use any side doors)

Beds were super comfy and once we hit the pillows, we were out like a light.

Breakfast was wonderful! Everything you could want to eat and more! Yogurt, choice of breads (bagles, muffins, toast), there were donuts and donut holes. Muffins, hardboiled eggs, bacon, eggs, waffle makers. Coffee, oj, apple juice and even cappuccino! Large breakfast area too! I think there were about 8 tables that seated 4 per table. Ladies attending to the needs were very attentive. Things were always full and while one did that, the other was wiping down tables and keeping the area clean.

Checkout was just as easy and friendly. Asked for directions to Walmart. I had seen what I thought would be a shortcut up there. Glad I asked, that way was under construction so they gave me a different way.

I wish I could give this place more than 5 stars. We're already talking about coming back in the spring to revisit Gooseberry Falls, when it will have the winter snow melting and the Falls should really be spectacular. We already know that we will stay here!

You can't go wrong staying here, my only regret is that the other couple times we stayed in Duluth it wasn't here. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank earnhardt8carfan
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn West

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We planned to stay at the Super 8 next door, but they were fully booked and send us over to the Comfort Inn. Room prices pretty steep due to labor day weekend, but rooms clean and large.

Good Wifi coverage even at the end of the corridor.

Bar closes at nine, but at least they have a bar.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matthias S
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the second time we stayed at this hotel. While the hotel does not appear that large or impressive from the road, it is very spacious and offers a very nice pool area, including a hot tub, pool and sauna. The main entry is roomy and inviting and the check-in is always pleasant. On week days they offer a reasonably priced happy hour in the main lobby. The breadkfast is good and hot, and the rooms are always clean. They also have a deal with a local Anytime Fitness, so you can work out during your stay. This hotel is very solid and offers a lot for both the business and pleasure traveler.

Room Tip: I like the rooms upstairs and to the south. Less people walking up and down the hall. I like it qu...
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Based on other reviews, my wife and I decided to stay here for 3 days while on a motorcycle trip. As it turned out it was a awesome choice. We arrived prior to check in, but the front desk clerk (who was in training) managed to find us a room that was ready where we could park our bike outside the window to keep an eye on it. The hotel managed to fulfill any requests we had, even allowing us to use the hose and supplying a cloth for us to wash the bugs off of our bike. The room was clean and comfortable, we had a decent breakfast and in the eve they had a meet and greet with appetizers and a bar. Any staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, even the housekeeping staff smiled and said good morning when we passed them in the hallway. Our only regret is that we didn't stay another day to enjoy another ride and the great scenery around Duluth\Superior. We would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here Saturday August 17 thru the 19th. The hotel is located about 3 minuets drive from canal park where all the attractions are. Staff is friendly and will help you any way they can. Rooms were clean. Beds are comfortable. Came back thru on the 21st and stayed an additional night. Bathroom had an adjustable side mirror for people who are short in stature (like my wife who realy appreciated that). Would recommend this hotel. You can't go wrong.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

It was a hot muggy weekend in Duluth but Comfort Inn was cool, clean and had friendly staff to make it a great weekend anyway. Thanks, Room was nice, Breakfast was Great, easy check in and checkout. Overall a great weekend with family.

Room Tip: Close in with easy access via interstate 35. Much better value than other nearby hotels.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband, son (10-years-old) and I stayed here on a Saturday night in August. I made the reservation at the last moment and was reluctant since we typically stay at Hampton Inns. This hotel was a nice surprise! The neighborhood isn't great, but if you are just there for sleeping, it's fine. Don't expect to walk to any restaurants though. The first room that we were given had a VERY strong smoke odor, even though it was a non-smoking room. My husband called down right away and they quickly gave us a different room that was much better. The rooms were cramped, but clean. The bathroom looked a lot like a Hampton Inn bathroom - nice!
The pool area was clean and nice. My son enjoyed it.
The free breakfast was very good. Everything was well-stocked and there was a nice variety of food.
The beds were comfortable and we all slept well.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family