“Great place in Duluth” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Great place in Duluth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been staying here 3 or 4 times a year for both business and pleasure for the past 10 years. The rooms are always clean, the beds are comfortable, and the breakfast is good. Plus, they are constantly updating and improving the property so it does not get out-of-date. It is a bit farther to the tourist features in Duluth, but you will save big bucks compared to the hotels in Canal park. Yes, some of them are nicer - but not enough to warrant the higher prices. Some folks complain about truck noise, but this is not a problem unless you are a very light sleeper. This property is a little out of the way, but worth the effort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank B W

Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. It's close to downtown and is clean, comfortable and safe. But I have to say that the service was the best. When faced with a complicated check-in, the front desk clerk was efficient, courteous and helpful. After we checked out at 515am and got about 20 miles down the road, I realized I left my iPad behind. I immediately called and the staff had my pricey gewgaw out that afternoon and forwarded the tracking and insurance coverage info to me. The iPad arrived safe and sound today. Should I find myself in duluth again, I will definitely stay at this hotel. Just right.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rhinelander, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This motel features a clean, quiet, comfortable environment despite its proximity to the airport and franchise row west of Duluth. It is surprisingly accessible to the north shore despite being inland and on the southern portion of the city.

From the introductory enticements (chocolate chip cookies) to the easy checkout, this is a fine place to stay. We would come back here rather than downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Red Wing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn West in Duluth on nearly every trip to the area for the past six years or so. I chose to stay there again this year, especially since the hotel offered (on the internet) two free tickets from a choice of several attractions in the area (approximately $30 value). Our room was clean, very comfortable beds, flat screen TV, nice sized bathroom. I liked that there was a magnified mirror attached to the wall next to the hair dryer...much easier for me to see to apply makeup. The continental breakfast was also very good, although on our second morning there was a large group of people eating and it seemed that the woman tending the food/coffee was having difficulty in keeping things filled. The pool and hot tub area was also very nice...we enjoyed a soak in the the hot tub after a busy sightseeing day. We were given tickets for free drinks and nachos, but we were out and about during the time they were served. The staff at the desk were very nice and helpful in getting directions for me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arlene S
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were disappointed we were given a room that smelled of smoke. That's why my rating for room is poor. Even though this hotel was converted to a smoke free hotel it was obvious this room still had the lingering scent. Fortunately the girl at the front desk acknowledged this and gave us a better smelling room. It would have been better for us to avoid moving all our stuff out of the first floor room if the first girl at the desk would have given us a room she knew had never had smoke especially when I mentioned at checkin that I wanted a no smoking room. Barring all this the hotel was nice, they had great pullled pork sandwiches in the lobby for a quick supper especially when you are tired and hungry (which was a nice surprise). And the breakfast was good with lots of places to sit.

Room Tip: Ask to be sure sure your room never was a smoking room originally
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here one night with my children and I have to say it was a complete surprise. The last Comfort Inn I stayed at was a complete flop, but this one was great! The kids enjoyed the pool while my mother and I enjoyed the "traveling bar" for a glass of wine. The rooms were very clean, quiet and the beds comfortable. We had an extra large room on the second floor (freeway side) The only complaint I have is the pillows. I needed 3 of them to sleep comfortably. I have noticed the Comfort Inns seem to have some teeny tiny pillows. I think they are due for an upgrade.

The continental breakfast the next morning was equally as great! Waffles (cinnamon and regular), eggs, sausage, assorted roles, coffee, cereal, juice, etc. It was EXCELLENT! It was close to closing time and there were a couple of things that were low, so we asked the lady if they could be replaced and she was all too happy to oblige. She was extremely friendly, as were all the staff we came in contact with.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Good job Comfort Inn West.. 4 stars! Missing 1 star for the pillows.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family