“Best Italian in Duluth”

Ranked #3 of 263 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, fresh from-scratch Italian. Not your nonna's trattoria. Pastas, salads,pizzas, steak, fish, fresh baked desserts and gelato. Full bar, fantastic wine list and specialty cocktails. Perched overlooking Lake Superior with the best views of the lift bridge and harbor. Indoor and outdoor seating.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Va Bene is easily the best Italian restaurant in Duluth. Food is consistently great although the one criticism would be slow service.

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

It's not cheap, but I have yet to eat anything that was less than outstanding. Chicken Alfredo in particular stands out.

1  Thank Jimbobsq67
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had dinner there on a Sunday evening. We called for reservations and were glad we did. Probably would have had a long wait. Salads were excellent. I got the angel hair pasta with sun-dried tomatoes. Angel hair pasta was prepared very weel, not a sticky lump which often happens. But I was disappointed in the sun-dried tomatoes which had very little taste. The others in our party were quite pleased with their entrees. We did not get dessert, but the , gelato looked very good. For 4 people, the total cost including taxes, but not tip was 115. That included a bottle of wine. I think that is highly reasonable. We will likely return.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been to this little restaurant multiple times during my visits to this little town up north. I go to the rest because of convenient location. It is a bit inconsistent and I find the rushed service annoying. The place is small, and that might explain it. The food is good but not great by any measure. Price is on the high end for such a place. They cater to specific customer base and you can tell that from the way they serve some guests. I might still go back if I am hungry and it is a bad weather night to go the distance.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a very upscale, tastefully decorated small restaurant in Duluth. Prices are very reasonable for the décor and service. I would say, $10 to $20. Everything is home made by an Italian family. You can sit on the inside porch area and look out at the lake and the aerial lift bridge, or inside by the fireplace. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about all menu items.
I had a Panini and my friend had a pasta, plus we each had a sinful dessert. I definitely want to go back. The only drawback was having to park at a meter that only went to one hour 20 minutes. A tip is that about 2 blocks down in front of the Pickwick, are longer meters. Or better yet, just park in Fitgers ramp and shop their shops later. Some purchases offer free parking. Or--if a nice day, park at the Rose Garden free parking lot at 14th avenue east and London Rd and walk about 8 blocks to Va Bene.

1  Thank tomorrowsantiques

Been to Va Bene Caffe? Share your experiences!