Va Bene Caffe
Ranked #3 of 263 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated, fresh from-scratch Italian. Not your nonna's trattoria. Pastas, salads,pizzas, steak, fish, fresh baked desserts and gelato. Full bar, fantastic wine list and specialty cocktails. Perched overlooking Lake Superior with the best views of the lift bridge and harbor. Indoor and outdoor seating.
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in on a Tuesday at 5 on the way back from Lutsen after checking out reviews on tripadvisor. We sat in the grotto with 3 kids. Food was excellent and so was the view. One kid was feeling a little car sick and the manager gave him some sprite as soon as we walked in the door. Will go again next time I'm in Duluth!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very cute-- but small-- place! We were here on a weeknight, and we did make a reservation, but we still did not get onto the lower deck with the views. But that, and difficult parking (we had to walk a ways), were my only complaints. We had awesome service and began by trying four different martinis, all of which were outstanding. The bruschetta was fine, as were our meals, but then came the Madame Navaronne cake for dessert-- oh my! If you love a decadent dessert (as I do!), you will not be disappointed. The cheesecake and gelato were also raved about by others, but I would return for the cake alone-- don't miss it!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Make a reservation, as this place is always busy, but for good reason. Ask for a table outside -- and, if possible, in the "Grotto" lower deck. There one has 180-degree views of Lake Superior in a quiet setting. The cuisine is fresh, healthy, and of "big-city" quality. Service is superb. You cannot do better in Duluth, and this place would compete anywhere.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Was recommended by our B&B. went there for our 1st anniversary dinner. Major disappointment. Our server was also the bartender who was making milk shakes instead of getting us the wine we ordered. After seeking out someone to help us our wine was finally delivered and our order taken. Food was great but the tables were crowded together and ambiance was lacking. Will not return.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We sat on the porch which was wonderful on a warm summer evening. Our waitress was very knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive. My SO had the specialty pizza, a chicken Alfredo pizza, which he very much enjoyed. I had pasta with basil pesto, roasted potatoes, and asparagus. It was fantastic! I had heard wonderful things about the gelato, so I had to sample one- it was also wonderful! We truly enjoyed our experience at Va Bene!