The Downtown Duluth Inn
Average 3/5
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
Good 3.5/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsroom was cleannoisy heatercontinental breakfastwould stay here againplace to sleepwithin walking distancestaff was very friendly and helpfulnice stayrefrigeratorlake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2011

When i drove into the parking lot I had a bad feeling,when i entered my room I noticed the bad smell. The wall paper was peeling the carpet was stained but the most disgusting thing was the ANIMAL HAIR ON THE BEDSPREAD. The heater had more dust in it and on it than I would think possible. I have stayed in some dive hotels but expected a bit more from Best Western. I did not stay the night, I told the clerk on duty that there was animal hair all over the bedspread and that I would not be staying. She did not seem surprised. I would rather sleep in my car than catch a disease from this scummy dive.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2011

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you found the accommodations and service not up to our usual high standards. We will use your experience in discussion and training as we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations to every guest. We are in the process of upgrading many of our rooms, and hope that you will stop in so we can show you the improvements.

Reviewed November 1, 2010

Location to downtown was good, but not close enough to walk. Driving was easy though. the area felt safe.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. We are located only two blocks ‘above’ Superior Street, which is the main street in downtown Duluth, and just six blocks walking distance from the Canal Park waterfront area. We are glad you and your friends enjoyed your visit, and we hope you will be back again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

While going to our room (Room 245), I immediately noticed the smell of smoke throughout the hall way. At that moment, I realized the housekeeping and updating of this hotel was severely lacking. Shortly after being in the room, we realized that the sink in the bathroom was clogged. If those were the only complaints, I would have chalked it up to it being an older hotel that needed some updating. But that was just the beginning. Before going to bed, we realized that the heater did not work. Normally not a big deal in the middle of September, but this is Duluth and a frost advisory was issued for the area so a heater would have been nice, especially with what the night would bring. Shortly after falling asleep I noticed an itch or two on my foot and knee. As I was falling back to sleep, I noticed something crawling on my neck. I was able to catch it and when I was able to get to the bathroom to look at it, I found out that it was an adult bed bug. I then looked at my shoulder in the mirror and saw a nymph bed bug on my shoulder. Once I went back to the bed, I used by cell phone to illuminate my bed and saw another adult bed bug and numerous nymphs on by pillow and sheets. Not wanting to sleep in the bed, I slept on the floor fully clothed with no blanket and froze throughout the night. I didn't sleep a wink the rest of the night for the above stated obvious reasons. Upon notifying, the office upon checkout, the employee was accomodating and did not charge us for the night, which was the least they could do. With the increasing reports of bed bugs throughout the country, I suggest everyone read up on them and do what you can to prevent yourself from staying at a hotel with bed bugs. Learn how to identify them and know where to look for them. As a precaution, I recommend you bring extra large Ziploc bags to put all of your clothes in case you encounter them during your stay. No place is immune from having them. They have been reported at 5 stars hotels as well as 1 star hotels.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank kss2010

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Best Western Downtown. I am very disappointed to hear of your experience at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology. You are right that bed bugs are getting more common, and we want you to know that we follow strict protocol if situations like this occur. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your review

Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife and I have visited Duluth twice so far and have stayed at this hotel both times--once in 2006 and then again this summer. Both times we have had no problems whatsoever and had a great experience there.

This latest visit, even though the hotel was nearly full, the front desk clerk remembered our names (from when we'd checked in) when we went to check out--a nice touch.

It's true that it's not the fanciest hotel, nor a resort hotel, but if you're going to Duluth for the Lakewalk and Canal Park and the businesses along Superior Street, and don't plan on spending much time at your hotel, it's a great choice and in an excellent location for walking to all the attractions. We simply parked our car in their lot when we got there, and walked everywhere we wanted to go until we left.

We didn't really need the hotel room for anything other than sleeping, and for that it was perfect. The bed was comfortable. It had modern bathroom fixtures and decent furniture in the room and was clean. (The one mark against them: The sheets did have a couple of minor stains, although that's not entirely unusual in a hotel. Regardless, they were still clean.) There was a coffee pot (which worked great) and an ironing board and iron in the closet. The window air conditioner did a sufficient job of keeping the room cool, and although the walls were possibly a bit thin--when we first arrived in the afternoon, we could hear someone's dog barking in the next room--this didn't turn out to be a problem and we didn't hear any noises from other rooms aside from those few minutes; nothing at all at night. Probably just a loud dog. We were able to sleep just fine. There was also a table and a couple of chairs in the room, which we didn't use.

The breakfast was nothing fancy, but was free and good. There was French toast, small muffins, cereal, and some fruit available, among a few other items. Milk and orange juice were available in addition to coffee. Waffles would have been nice (they'd need only purchase a commercial waffle maker and some batter--hint, hint!), but the French toast was a reasonable alternative. They did run out of milk a bit after we'd finished eating, so I'd suggest going to the breakfast earlier rather than later.

The free wireless Internet worked perfectly fine for web browsing and email but was a bit slow (a bandwidth test showed only around 256 kilobits per second). It would not have worked for streaming video from Netflix or Hulu. But we didn't go to Duluth to watch Internet video, so it was fine for us.

The price of this hotel is roughly 1/2 to 1/3 that of the "resort" hotels along Canal Park Dr, yet is only 2500 feet away (less than ten minutes to walk). If you don't need the added amenities of those hotels, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Owner at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

Thank you for your great comments about the Best Western Downtown - it is the perfect hotel for people like you who are interested spending more time outside the room – the location and pricing can’t be beat.
I am sorry to hear you found stains on the sheets – I have reviewed our linen inventory and procedures with the manager and housekeeping team – reminding them to “pull” any stained items out of use to avoid this in the future. I also like the waffle iron idea – it seems to be very common on breakfast bars these day – I will certainly research this further. Please let us know when you plan on visiting us again, so we can thank you personally for your patronage.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

I honestly can't figure out what the complaints in other reviews are about, as our overnight stay here was very pleasant. Our cousins booked the rooms and we did not realize the Grandma's Marathon was coming up so it was hard to find anything under $100 for the night-- the Best Western was $56. Centrally located, it was clean and comfortable with additional parking in the back. Our only problem was being on the second floor with no elevator-- the gal at the front desk ran outside in the rain to help us get our luggage inside and up the stairs. Good cable, comfy beds, frig and microwave in the room, good breakfast and excellent service. I'd stay here again even if it wasn't half the price of the other hotels.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Owner at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2010

Thank you taking the time to write and submit your comments regarding your stay at the Best Western Downtown Duluth. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the wonderful service they have received. As soon as I read your comments, I immediately forwarded them to the management of the hotel to let the team will know what a great job they have done, and also ensure they are recognized for their efforts.

Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in one of our hotels again soon.