“do not stay here”

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay
“do not stay here”
Reviewed February 12, 2010

The front desk clerks were friendly, but that is the only good thing I can say. The parking is very limited and crowded, At night, it was very hard to find a spot-I got the last one. The room was reasonably clean, but definitely old. I didn't sleep at all-the heating system was unbearably loud-constant banging-even when I finally decided to shut it off, it still made loud noises and the room got too cold. I had to turn it back on-I obviously wasn't going to sleep anyway! In the morning, I went to the continental breakfast-in the tiny, tiny lobby-no room to sit-got a cup of coffee and drank it in my room (outside motel room, not inside the building). I did get some money taken off my bill because of the horrible noises all night-the clerk didn't seem surprised. I wrote a comment card and mailed it to the marked address, but never did receive any reply.
I will never stay at this hotel again, even with the reasonable discounted rate. I was so angry, it took me this long to write a review, which I have never done before.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MaryTbay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Montefalco, Italy
Reviewed July 23, 2009

This place is pretty run down and definitely over priced. The room was ok as in it wasn't dirty or sticky underfoot, but the water cistern for the toilet was not working properly and kept topping up VERY noisily every 10 mins or so adding to the sleepless night. Thin walls made it seem like people were coming into our room. Had a group come back at 3am having a loud conversation right outside our door. We didn't feel safe through the night, nor, to be honest in the day in the area of the motel. The people at reception were fine and although not the friendliest, they did have a go at finding us somewhere to go for dinner (not taken up as it was in Superior and we didn't want to travel much after dark around there!)
The bed was comfortable enough, although I could've done without the thick mattress cover as it was too hot (no air con) Nice touch was the coffee machine with real coffee sachets. Breakfast (inc) was a fairly sorry affair with bread stuff and cereal, oranges, tea, coffee or juice.
If you find yourselves in Duluth and are desperate for a place to stay, then maybe this will be ok for a few hours, but it's expensive for what it is - we paid $135 + a ton of tax to bring it to over $150. Not good value.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I have stayed at this motel a number of times. I generally stay here at Christmas as I have family in Duluth and it's less expensive than the other BWs in Duluth.

Yeah, the older guy at the front desk comes off like a grouch but he's been nice to me. I lived in Duluth for a number of years so I'm not overly worried about the neighborhood. The morning clerks are generally cheerier.

Yeah, the breakfast isn't as nice as many in other motels, even the BW over on London Rd. But, they have coffee, juice, pastries, toast/Eng; muffins, apples/oranges and IIRC, cold cereal. If you want hot waffles, so somewhere else and pay for it. I'm looking for an inexpensive place to sleep w/cable tv to entertain me until I nod off.

If you want a pool and stuff, go elsewhere. If you're simply looking for a place to sleep at the best rate in town, short of a relative's couch, this is very ok.

• Liked — It's less expensive
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank Gardngoddess
Fargo
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I wasn't impressed with this hotel from first arriving. The guy at the front desk wasn't rude, but he wasn't that friendly either. While I was checking in by myself (my boyfriend was waiting in the car) another guy came into the hotel and was standing at the desk near me. The front desk guy wrote my room number large on a piece of paper. I immediately turned the paper over so the guy next to me didn't see it. I would have thought that was a hint but the front desk clerk proceeded to say my room number out loud and how to get find my room. Well one could say it was nice of him to explain how to get to my room (not that it would have been hard) but you should NEVER EVER say a room number out loud in front of other patrons due to security reasons. If I was staying at this hotel by myself I would have been nervous all night.

The area the hotel was in was okay, but only a couple blocks away it seemed a bit sleazy. Each room had an outside entry unless you stay on the top floor. The room itself was okay. The bed was comfortable and I didn't see any hair in the sheets as the other reviews indicated. The room had a table with two shares immediate to your left upon entering. We had a king size bed and there was two end tables next to the bed. Across the bed was a dresser and flat screen LG tv (nice touch). There was an abundant selection of channels to choose from.

The bathroom was another story! You could tell that the bathroom was probably created in the 70's or 80's and was never updated. The tiles were tan and showed their age. There was no fan in the bathroom. The tub/shower was terrible! The tub was very small in width and the shower curtain didn't have those little magnets on the bottom. So while you were taking a shower the curtain would sink into the tub and stick to you. YUCK! There was also hair in the tub that was not ours. The bathroom size itself was large enough to withstand an update. The quick fix they can do for now is get a curved shower bar and curtain with the magnets on the bottom to allow more room. Instead I ended up getting water all over the floor. There also should be a hook on the back of the door. One other thing that was weird, was that the outlet in the bathroom was about 3 feet away from the mirror area on the vanity. So make sure all your electrical appliances have long enough cords.

The free breakfast was a joke. The breakfast area was very small and cramped. When I walked in a maid and the other front desk clerk were standing and talking next to the food areas and there really wasn't room to move around them. The offerings for breakfast were very meager. There was a few cereal options, a few pastries, bread, english muffins, milk, juice, coffee and that was it. No hard boiled eggs. No fruit. Nothing.

The checkout went fine. The front desk clerk was very nice. She could give a few pointers to the guy at night at actually smiling at people who are paying his salary.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place. There are other nicer hotels that were just built along Lake Superior. I would recommend checking out one of them instead.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — bathroom needs remodeling, security issues checking in
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Our experience at this motel was not at all like the bad reviews. Our only small complaint was that we couldn't open a window to allow in some fresh air. The room was a bit on the small side, which was irrelevant because we were there only to sleep. More importantly it was very clean. The front desk people were very helpful; in fact I watched the clerk patiently write out very detailed directions for a guest who was unsure how to get to some place in Duluth. Although the motel was sold out, it was very quiet. The design of the motel looks dated, and nobody would mistake it for one of the new places in the Canal Park area, which certainly are more convenient for visits to the harbor area, but those places are much more expensive. In addition, my wife makes business trips as an exhibitor at the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center and has stayed at the BW Downtown nearly a dozen times because offers good value for her needs. If you want to be in the middle of the action in Canal Park, by all means choose one of the several places there. But our experience is that this motel is a good choice if you want to be in downtown.

Stayed September 2007
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Come on people... It's not that bad! I stayed in Best Western Downtown Duluth just for one night but it was OK. We payed $93 total for 4 people in one room with two double beds. For this price I wasn't expecting a four-star hotel! Corridors were a little bit smelly, but the room was nice and clean, staff was helpful and the breakfast was a standard set of a muffin, cereal, bread and coffee.The location is really good! It's just 10 minutes walking distance away from the main attractions of Duluth. I recommend BW Dowtown Duluth for a short and cheap stay in Duluth.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Smelly corridors
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, California
Reviewed June 20, 2006

This place is a total dive. I had the misfortune to stay here, selecting it sight unseen to earn some best western points. I am not the most picky person having to travel alot on the a measly gov't per diem of 60/night....but OMG-- I would NEVER stay here again. The room reeked of smoke, .there were dust bunnies on the curtains and corners of the room (at least that's what I hope it was)....there were hairs on the floor in the bathroom....and the people who stayed here were scary. Images of bedbugs danced through my head as I tried to sleep here.

Even if the room was clean and the mattress actually had padding over the springs, this would still be a dismal hotel. It has concrete block for room walls--you feel like you are in a prison cell--which is emphasized even more by the scary people staying here with you. My room had an antiquated air conditioner that made more noise than cool air and a tiny 19" tv. Go to the edgewater and sleep like a human being.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business