“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Detroit Lakes
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I have been staying here for the past 3 years and have been happy. This hotel is nothing fancy so if you are planning to be out and about most of the day and just come back to sleep/shower then this would be suitable. They usually have a good breakfast with variety but this past weekend not much but pancakes and cold cereal. I haven't had any problems with outside noise or from other rooms. Parking lot is very small. It's about a 10-15 min walk down hill to canal park so that is nice you don't have to worry about parking. If you are planning on staying here when there is other events going on in the area they do raise there prices so you may wanna check around for something with a little more bang.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Lisa S,

Thank you for your many visits and for posting your candid comments. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a comfortable stay when you are visiting Duluth. We really appreciate your business and your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are here.

sincerely,

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bismarck, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Pro - Location, comfortable beds, pillows, free breakfast, good A/C Con - Wifi didn't work at all during four nights, bugs on window sill, dirty toilet, grimy bathroom tile, greasy spots on sheets, remote didn't work properly, free parking was limited and the extra parking was extremely tight and has broken asphalt and big potholes enough to hit the bottom of my car, felt unsafe walking at night by this hotel, street fight on the second night of my stay in front.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear karineb689,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay with us. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. It is only with honest feedback from valued guests such as yourself, that we can make changes and improvements to ensure an enjoyable stay. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Guest Relations

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

huskydog
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

i stayed at the motel for a week and had a GREAT stay as staff was great. even though the breakfast was limited it was real good i plan to stay there again i would recommend this motel to my friends and family

Room Tip: all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sheka94
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Lonnie J,

Thanks for staying with us and posting your nice review. We are proud to deliver a higher quality guest experience than our competitors and are glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We value your business and appreciate your recommendation. I hope we can serve you here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were nice and clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful. Wifi didn't work any of the three nights we stayed there. Parking sucks. Not much room and it's on a hill. Had to park around back a couple of nights. Located in a sketchy neighborhood, so I wouldn't walk around there too late at night. Nonetheless, it's only about a 15 minute walk from the lake and all its attractions.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jacob L,

I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with us during your recent stay and apologize for any discomfort you experienced here. Our goal is to provide all guests with excellent service and accommodations and we take it very seriously when find that we have fallen short. We value all guest feedback and appreciate that you included positive comments in your review. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Fargo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Me and my family stayed here the night of the 12th and the 13th. I booked my room through Expedia.com. I thought my rate was going to be $201.00 total. It came out to $213.00 and I got a little frustrated. The front desk staff was amazing. The two ladies working the desk took that tax off that Expedia didn't tell me about. They were so nice. The parking lot was really strange. Parking on a hill sucked. We had to drive around the corner behind the hotel to park and to be honest with you it was pretty scary as the area the hotel is in is bad. There are a lot of shady people walking around in the area. Not a good place to be walking around at night. The room was very nice. No stains, no bad smells, no nasty hair, no bed bugs. It was awesome. The bed's were nice. The tv was nice. Me and my family were very satisfied. The breakfast was actually good. It was no 5 star breakfast but it was good. Overall this stay was awesome. The front desk rocks. The housekeepers were so good my mother left them a nice tip. If anyone can get past the fact that the area is bad and the parking sucks then you will like this place. I will be staying at the Best Western again when I make my next trip to Duluth.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Lonnie J,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your detailed review about your recent stay with us. It’s guests like you that make our jobs of providing excellent service and accommodations very rewarding. We really appreciate your compliments which I will share with our team so they know their efforts are recognized and appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Musty, smelly, small room which is barely accessible because it's little hallway is a little wider than the aisle boarding aircraft and you have to carry your luggage in front of you the same way. Didn't realize that the "double" was a small hard bed ( sore and tired the next day from rock hard mattress) and I can't recall staying anywhere with double bed in recent history so my bad for not paying attention to that but to totally unsuitable for anything but newlyweds or singles. Meanwhile, sink held up by bare 2x4 with "leg" scribbled on it, sink is also the location for toilet paper which is admittedly handier than on the top of the toilet tank.

Very proud to have paid the handsome fee of $179 plus tax for a night at this gem because if you own any motel in any condition a couple days before Bluesfest, you could probably get even more if you held out til Friday.

I have no idea if internet worked or not as we left as soon as we saw the room and stayed out as late as we could to avoid spending any time there. I haven't stayed at a Best Western in quite some time, hate to think I've become a hotel snob, but clearly the positive reviews on this place must've been enjoying the view at the pool under the palm trees that staff forgot to tell me about.

Room Tip: Not the SE 2nd floor comer. Worst room I've seen in years.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dan B
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Dan B,

I am sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay with us and apologize for the disappointment, discomfort and inconvenience you experienced here. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. . If you would like to discuss this further and give us an opportunity to make amends, please contact me via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will consider giving us a chance to regain your respect on a future visit.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Hotel was just OK. Pillows were tiny. We had five of them but all tiny. Very old motel! Trip advisor didn't include the tax for the second day so I wasn't happy about that. So it was 14$ more than we were quoted and I thought it was 2 much $ to start with.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars

1 Thank quentinlj
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Motel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear quentinlj,

Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the pillows in your room and apologize for the discomfort you experienced. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry. Please consider staying with us again so we can demonstrate our dedication to delivering a great guest experience. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Duluth.