“Great Location, Friendly Staff. Town Centre but still quiet”

The Downtown Duluth Inn
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
London, England
“Great Location, Friendly Staff. Town Centre but still quiet”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I selected this Motel for its convenience to the casino and town and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was also very quiet. The room was very clean & comfortable and I slept very well despite facing the road. The breakfast room is quite small (as they often are) but was adequately equipped.
I was here for 4 nights and my only issue was that my bed was not properly made for my last night, but it was not a problem as I had a twin-bedded room, so used the other bed.
Overall, clean, quiet and very satisfactory.

Room Tip: As I was in a central location facing the road and was not disturbed I would guess that most, if not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ManicUSAVisitor
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your comments. I'm sorry your bed wasn't made on your last day, and hope you will accept my apologies. I've shared your review with our housekeeping team to emphasize the need for everyone to do their best job, every day, so this will not happen again. I'm glad you were happy with other aspects of your stay and hope you will let is serve you here again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Geraldton, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I got a great deal for three nights using Best Western Rewards points so the value was awesome. However, while checking in, I overheard the clerk quote $139/night for this motel. After three nights I would not be willing to pay this price.
While the location is great, (downtown, on a hill a few blocks above Canal Park), the staff were professional and the rooms comfortable, this is just a plain motel. A free breakfast is offered but it was pretty plain-and-simple. The room was clean for the most part but I noticed little things - stains on some pillow sheets, an empty tissue box for the duration of our stay and a coffee pot that also was not cleaned for our whole stay - that make this place worthy of a $60-$70/night motel rather than the $99-and-above quoted rates. However, for free, I can't complain too much.
If prices were in the lower range I would definitely stay here again. However, for the higher price I might as well stay at one of the larger Canal Park hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeraldtonSteve
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for choosing to use your BW Rewards points for your recent stay with us, and for sharing your comments. I'm sorry you found conditions that were not up to our usual standards, and hope you were happy with the resolutions offered by our team when you brought these to our attention during your stay. We do whatever we can to fix or make amends before our guests leave, so they can be confident in our ability to make their stay comfortable. Please feel free to contact me at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your loyalty to Best Western.
Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We have stayed at this motel before and had been pleased. The last time was very disappointing. Room smelled; poor location of room. Perfect location in Duluth as I was visiting the clinic. Service was so-so.

Room Tip: Check the room out first.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
I am very sorry you were so disappointed with us during your recent stay and offer my sincere apologies. I would like to learn more of where we fell short of your expectations, and if we can make ammends. If you are willing, please contact me at kenjacobs@zmchotels.com. I hope you will give us the opportunity to learn more and serve you again.

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I can sleep through anything. But, there was an amazing number of noises heard while I was staying at this motel. There was quite a bit of noise from the road in front, which I attribute to the U-shaped building and the overhang of the second floor. The air conditioner was rather loud, but it worked. I could hear the people next to me laughing several times. There seemed to be a lot of motel guests hanging out for long periods of time talking in the parking lot. When the guests in the rooms around me turned their showers on, it was very (strangely) loud. It startled me the first time I heard it. On other fronts, the room was damp and humid. It was obvious that the rooms were older, but had been slightly updated with new(ish) bedspreads, TVs, lamps, etc. The breakfast room, which is really just the lobby, is very small. There were only 4 tables with 3 chairs each in the room. I shared my table with two other guests. The breakfast selection was alright. They have a list in the rooms of everything they are supposed to have at breakfast, which was not correct. They only had fruit loops and corn flakes for cereal choices. Another guest asked if they had any others, and the attendant replied that they had something for kids and something healthy. The parking lot was awful. Every spot is on a hill and there is not enough space between rows. I had to park in an overflow lot, which was not crowded but I was nervous for the car's safety. The motel is not in a great place. I would not walk outside alone after dark. It is reasonably close to several restaurants and just a few blocks from the lake, but it is on a pretty big hill. The ice machine was broken so they had a cooler outside the lobby for guests to come scoop ice out of, which is probably against some health code. I probably wouldn't stay here again. However, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to.

Room Tip: Get there early so you can get a parking spot in the main lot.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am very sorry you were disturbed by so many sounds during your recent stay with us and sincerely apologize. We want all our guests to be able to relax and enjoy their time here, and take if very seriously when we fall short. I will review our breakfast offerings and make adjustments as is appropriate. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to serve you when you are in Duluth again.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I booked this motel because other hotels in Duluth for this weekend were very expensive. This one was not "cheap" in any sense, but it was comparatively less. There are good qualities which I will list, but ultimately the most important part of a hotel comes down to cleanliness which is why I gave the lower score.

Location - this is it's best quality. It is by no means on a block with restaurants or entertainment, but it is walking distance to many and is no more than a $5 cab ride to any key tourist area (the Canal, Fitger's to name a few). I would not walk in this neighborhood alone as a female at night, but beyond that, it really is a good spot to get to the sights.

Exterior - I don't normally add this but I want to mention that the exterior is beautifully decorated with flowers and a newly paved lot which I appreciated. It is an older facility, yes, but this made up for it slightly.

Rooms - The air conditioning was loud but it worked which I appreciated. There was a nice flat screen TV, an iron which came in handy, and plenty of towels, though they did not have conditioner in the bathroom (they did have bar soap, shampoo, and lotion). The rooms are small and with four adults in the room, it got pretty tight to fit our suitcases. The most unfortunate part of our stay, however, was that the room was not clean. In addition to the smell others reference (which I think is just inherent to an older facility), I attached a picture of my comforter which had a suspicious white stain, the carpets were dirty along the walls and the corners of the room, surfaces were sticky, and the walls had numerous marks. The bathroom was dirty in all corners and crevices and the shower curtain was in need of replacing. Needless to say, I felt uncomfortable for the duration of my stay, unsure of what was clean and what was not.

Service - Check-in was easy, and they were, while not overly friendly, fine. The disappointing part of the service came when we called about the comforter. I told them about the comforter asking if I could get a new one and they said they'd see what they could do. Thirty minutes later they called back saying they didn't have any extras and could we wait until the next day. My brother in law took the call, and asked if it would be possible to wash the comforter for us. They said they couldn't do it until the next day due to availability of washing machine so he asked if they could consider a coin operated machine so it could be done that day. They said they supposed they could do that. While I do appreciate that they ultimately cleaned it and got it back to us, I was let down and confused that it took us problem solving this issue for them for it to be resolved.

At checkout, I hoped some sort of discount on our stay would be offered but was not. We did not push the issue as we didn't want to be disrespectful but it just seemed that even a $10 off would have been a nice gesture. Oddly enough, the individual checking out in front of us was charged for a cot and she mentioned that it was covered with dried white stains and pieces of throw up and they couldn't use it. Fortunately she was not charged but it really made me question the cleaning routines!

All in all, I realize this could be a slip up on their end that doesn't happen all the time and I even grappled with whether I should write this, but I was just so uncomfortable I thought it important for others to know before booking. I will always pay extra for a nicer room going forward, I'd highly recommend the Radisson, Holiday Inn, The Sheraton for downtown hotels, and then any hotel in the Canal for others considering their options.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zunks
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I am so sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel, and begin by offereing my sincere apologies. We clearly failed to provide you with the great service and accommodations we strive for with every guest. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me - kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I enjoyed staying here at this hotel. It was a last minute booking (a day and a half or so before) and was the only decent place available for a semi decent price. On the outside, the hotel looks like a standard issue two story motor hotel, It did not turn me away and I thought the freshly paved parking lot that seems to be a common occurence in these reviews was refreshing. I wasn't expecting much, but when I got to the room, I was rather surprised. While the room was fairly small, it was clean (looked and smelled clean) and was not outdated by any means. Beds were comfortable too!

About the area, sure it's not on the water and is kinded of tucked in a corner of the city, but I felt perfectly safe. I did in fact walk around to and from Superior st (the main street) around 930pm and felt zero apprehension.

Overall, I think this motel is a good value for the money. Price would have been better if it wasn't July in Duluth, but oh well.

Btw, the breakfast was good! They have French toast and bacon in addition to the usual cereals,etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thanks so much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience here. I'm glad you chose to make up your own mind, and that you were pleased with your decision to stay with us. I hope you will let us serve you here again the next time you are in Duluth.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I choose this hotel for the location, it was within walking distance to all my meetings during a 3 day business trip. However, I wouldn't recommend it as a first time visitor to Duluth. It's ugly, and a long hilly walk from restaurant, the lake and any attractions you might want to see. I really wish I would have stayed in the Canal Park area or in the Holiday Inn downtown. It did not feel like a safe area to walk around as a woman alone. My room was fine but the staff had no information on the area and the breakfast was very limited. For business it would be fine, but not if you wanted to do anything outside of your hotel room. Also, the parking lot needs serious repair. Overall, cheap, but disappointing.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Duluth Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
I'm sorry you were unhappy with the accommodations and service here during your recent visit. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that future guests have a better experience than what you describe here. Please consider giving us another chance to provide you with a better stay the next time you are in Duluth.