All reviewsmini golfbunk bedsdrink tokensthe indoor water parkoutdoor pool and hot tubbreakfast buffetedge waterwear and tearroom suitegreat view of lakenorth shorelake walklifeguardsarcadetikiwaterslidesgrandkids
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Two issues: one resolved, the other not. The first night I had an adjoining room with a field trip of students next door to me. At 10 PM too noisy, so the front desk changed my room. The clerk was very accommodating and understanding as a former teacher and Girl Scout leader I have done my fair share of overnight field trips - did not feel the need to re-visit the experience.

I stayed 4 nights, each night used the automatic wake-up call system. Three mornings, the call came from 40-55 minutes late. When I called the front desk, the clerk assured me if I called the desk, someone would personally call me - never happened. The morning I was checking out, I needed to get up at 6 AM so I asked my husband to call me from home - thank goodness he did because the automated system called 55 minutes late and the desk clerk never called despite my personal request the night before. I used the automatic wake-up call because I could not get the clock radio alarm to work right.

I stay at the Edgewater anywhere from 6-10 nights a year as I am in Duluth to visit with my father (who is 100 years young) and my brother. Not having a reliable wake-up system in place could be a big problem. Usually the Edgewater addresses problems quickly but two calls to the front desk about the same issue gives me pause to think about my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not an adjoining one if you do not need one!!! Also, stay in the Tiki Tower if you do not want an older section of the hotel. Breakfast used to be included but not anymore - I chose to go to McDonald's as I just didn't need such a big breakfast.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Kathy C,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for sharing your candid comments. I am truly sorry for the poor service you received from our automatic wake up call system and from our front desk team, and offer my sincerest apologies for the problems they caused. We greatly value your business and your feedback, which we will to improve our operation. I will instruct the IT team to investigate and repair the phone/wake up system and have housekeeping report all non functioning clock radios, so they can be replaced. Our front desk team will be more diligent about wake up call, too. We'd like to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can discuss this further.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We ended up here after being unable to find a room on Canal Park. Turns our our stop in Duluth coincided with the Tall Ships and everything downtown was booked. This wasn't what I had planned, but it turned out to be perfect.

We stayed in the main section of the hotel in a room overlooking Superior. The room was a standard queen room with a pull-out couch, nothing different than a queen room anywhere else, other than that it had a balcony overlooking the water, which was very nice. I would suggest staying in this main section instead of the dated (at least the exterior) motel-style rooms by the road. We were checked in by a college-aged girl who was friendly but didn’t really know what she was doing. Our biggest issue here was the elevator. There is only one and it takes forever. Forever. There is a lot to do and they really need a whole bank of elevators.

After getting settled, we first checked out the outdoor activities. There is a pool, mini golf and bounce houses/slides. We didn’t use the pool but had a good time with everything else. We ordered a pizza from the hotel for dinner. It was ok, nothing exceptional, but it served the purpose and wasn’t too overpriced. We also enjoyed the 2-for-1 drinks. They are very overpriced but pretty tasty, and with the 2-for-1 drink tokens, they make the price about normal.

Then we hit the awesome indoor waterpark. It is an excellent indoor park. I can’t say enough good things about it. This makes the other things that weren’t quite perfect almost unnoticeable. The waterpark was immaculate, perfectly maintained, and had plenty of life guards (who were actually monitoring the park, not just standing around talking to each other), clean towels, tubes and seating. They have just enough to do that little kids aren’t overwhelmed and big kids/adults don’t get bored. Our 5 yo went nuts and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

In the morning we caught a beautiful sunrise over Superior (yes, I am always willing to pay more for that!) and watched the tall ships come in. We still had great views of the ships, and for a fraction of the price of a room in Canal Park.

We also braved the breakfast crowds. They have the usual continental breakfast fare, but it is scattered around the breakfast room. We missed some of it until we were on our way out. By then it was too late and too much work to find another seat.

We visited the waterpark again before we left - of course!

The price for everything was incredibly reasonable. I would definitely stay here again, in fact, I’d go out of my way to do so.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Tiki Towers.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Beentheredonethat777,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your detailed review about your visit with us during last year's Tall Ships event. I'm sorry for the poor service you received at the front desk, and for the slow elevators and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced. It is guests like you who make our jobs of providing the highest standards of cleanliness, service and facilities very rewarding. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again on your next visit.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I was not impression with the front desk worker. The lady was rude and didn't want to answer any questions about the rates and forgot to give us our agreed pizza coupon. and when i called her and she said, she would be right now to the room for the coupon and It took over an hour. I had to go the front desk to get the pizza coupon. I was not impressed with the front desk service.
but, I was happy that the rest of the people that work there. They were really nice and helpful. The guys that were working the restuarant were awesome and really helpful. I was dispointed with the extra costs and you had to play for breakfast now. The kids love the waterpark and the life guards were on the ball. I am happy to see that and they were real friendly to the kids. It was safe and clean place to visit. I just wish the weather was better to play mini golf.

Room Tip: the lakeview room are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear seanwendy,

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write and post your review. I am truly sorry for the poor service you received at our front desk and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced. I will use you review in discussions and training to improve our operation so this does not continue or recur. I'm glad you were happy with the rest of your stay and appreciate your compliments and recognition of jobs well done by our team. I hope (but can't guarantee - it is Duluth you know) that the weather will be better the next time you are here. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Edgewater in May 2014. We were very excited about spending time at the waterpark and relaxing in a nice room in Duluth. We were not able to book a room in the Tiki Tower so instead booked a room in the 'Edgewater Classic-motel style' building. We were unsure what to expect as we were not able to find any photos of the motel on the website. The 'Two Queen Driveup Classic' room photos looked bright and cheery so we didn't feel too concerned. Imagine our disappointment when we arrived to find that we were spending the weekend in a very old motel in dire need of renovation. Our street level motel room opened to the parking lot and was dark and uninviting. People walking in front of our window made it impossible to open the curtains and let some light in. Cars park right in front of the window so even if you wanted to see out, you were looking into someone's car. The room faced London Road and the traffic noise was constant. I am including a photo so that people who reserve a room in the 'Edgewater Classic-motel style building', have an idea what they are paying for.

On the bright side, the staff was kind and efficient and we enjoyed the waterpark. Would I return? Maybe, but I would reserve a room in the Tiki Tower.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the 'hotel' and not the 'classic motel-style' rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank glojoTC
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear glojoTC,

Thank you very much for posting your straightforward comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you were unhappy with your room and understand your disappointment. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort you experienced. I'm glad you were happy with the waterpark and appreciate that you included that in your review. I hope you give us the chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I booked the wrong date and they let me switch with no extra charge. The waterpark is great. Rooms are nice. Ordered a Bloody Mary at the waterpark bar and they went upstairs to get a pepperoni stick garnish (now that's what I call service). It was delicious. The staff has been friendly to us. The view is amazing. It looks directly out to Lake Superior. What more can you ask for? We'll come here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Eric B

Dear Eric B,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments. It is always gratifying to receive guest feedback especially when it is as positive as yours. We look forward to and welcome the opportunity to serve you again.