“Great place for a family in duluth”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Edgewater for 2 nights. Be warned that check-in can be a VERY long process. Bring your patience. My advise to the Edgewater would be to somehow streamline this process. I had a person waiting in line with me that was not checking into a room, but was there for a birthday and like everyone else had to wait in the long line.

Aside from the initial issues with checking-in, the hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. The waterpark was fun, but busy, although we expected this.

Breakfast was good with lots of options and plenty of staff to keep things moving along.

Kids are done with the water park thing, so we won't be staying again, but I recommend for families looking for waterpark activities while in duluth.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent experience at our hotel. I am sorry about the problems you encountered during check in and hope you will accept my apologies. We are looking at ways to improve this process and appreciate your input. I hope you and your family will let us serve you here again, even if you don't use the waterpark.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Edge is a great place for families. It's nice, but practical for people with kids, so you can feel comfortable. It's obvious the suites are laid out with families in mind. Due to my husband's business we do a lot of traveling and I know when I go to Duluth I can bring the kids. We have a self contained world where there is a waterpark, reasonable prices snack/restaurant and an awesome continental breakfast. The rooms are laid out for families (spacious), the suites are very family friendly. The best part however is the cost is extremely reasonable, so much so you will find you can get a suite for about the same price as many hotels regular room rates.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for your many visits and nice review. I'm glad you know you can count on us for value and enjoyment, and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here again.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have stayed at the Edge several times and have been extremely pleased each time. The water park never feels over crowded, life guards are on duty. There are options for various ages, we can all enjoy. People are very helpful and kind. The rooms over looking the lake make for beautiful sun rise views - it is worth getting up early for!

Room Tip: Lake views are worth the money!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for your many stays and nice review. We are always happy to hear that our guests had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to serving you here again.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Edge has been our favourite place to stay for the past 4 years! My daughter is 5 years old and we make a point of coming to the Edge as often as we can! The staff have always been great to us, the pool is always great, the rooms are always clean and the breakfast is perfect! We can usually find a pretty good deal too! The arcade games are fun! We've taken the shuttle a few times for the Bentley Ville Lights at Christmas and the drivers are always very friendly!
If we are looking for something fun to do The Edge is always our first thought!

Room Tip: The outside facing rooms with a patio to the lake are always our favourite, but we go for the waterp...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your many visits and for taking the time to post your comments and 5 star review. It's guests like you who validate our efforts and make our jobs enjoyable. We welcome all guest input and appreciate your kind words. We look forward to serving you here again soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've been meaning to go to this place for years with the family and the opportunity finally presented itself this past spring. The reservation was painless. I decided to call, ask a few questions and then book the room over the phone as opposed to the website and it proved to be a pleasant process.
Checkin and out was smooth. The waterpark itself was a little smaller than I anticipated but the kiddos had fun regardless. There is food and drink onsite for both kids and adults which was great. There was an online video arcade as well which proved to be a great place when my 9 and 11 yr old boys got tired of swimming, sliding and playing in the water.
The facility itself was ok. It could use a facelift in some areas (the common easting area for breakfast) but by no means was it disgusting. Our room was small but heck, we were only in there for sleeping hours! Overall a decent little place. Its no Wisconsin Delss but a nice place to go with the kids for a day while visiting the Northshore.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent experience with us. I'm glad you and your family were happy with our service and accommodations, and appreciate your nice review. I hope we can serve you here again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We went to the waterpark with our 2 kids (ages 4 & 11) for a late spring break trip. Our room had a king-size bed, 2 night stands, large LCD TV, table w/2 chairs, small fridge, small microwave, cabinet (you could store food or other items), tall cabinet to hang coats (or clothes if you chose) that contained an ironing board, suitcase stand, and iron. Next to the bed was a half wall cutout room for the bathroom. On the other side of the half wall were 2 sets of twin- size wooden bunk beds, drawers for clothing, and another LCD TV.

We purchased our trip from a Groupon and received pizzas, arcade money, and drink tokens.

The breakfast was included each morning and had items such as: yogurt, cereal, juice, milk, bagels, donuts, fruit, coffee cake, toast, hard boiled eggs. I thought it was more than sufficient for being a breakfast that was included with your stay. The only thing possibly missing was a waffle maker.

This same area turns into the Sunrise lounge at night - no music, just cocktails and TV which overlooks the waterpark. I think you can also order some food items here too.

The water park is extremely clean. The lifeguards were very attentive and always doing rounds. They aren't socializing or doing anything but their jobs. The waterpark has a GREAT area for smaller kids (meaning toddlers or under age 7) where parents can have a blast with them without worry. There are smaller slides where the kids can get wet and it's basically zero depth the entire way around. They can climb all over it. There are buckets dumping (my daughter is normally TERRIFIED of this, but for some reason, here she was just fine with it. Other areas in the water park have a lazy river (slow moving so that all family members could enjoy), hot tub (not terribly hot), tube slide that you take the stairs for, rope ladder climbing pool thing, regular pool area with balls and basketballs hoops, and a connected pool that kind of swirls.

Other people in the pool area are continually checking chlorine area, etc., which I found very comforting considering the number of people in and out of the water, children probably peeing, etc.

There area also chairs and tables and a food area here where you can get pizza, etc. You can also bring your own coolers down.

We had fun in the arcade area too ... it's about what you'd expect to find and plan to win with your tickets you win. My 11-year old just loves the prospect of getting something as a prize.

Go for dinner at the Black Woods Grill & Bar (basically across the street). You'll get a $5 off coupon after you check in. Soooo worth it. The place is a little bit spendier than your normal restaurant, but food is fantastic, atmosphere is fabulous, kids meals are fun and they can get a make-your-own sundae included with their meals ... very fun for a vacation!

Really, my only negative is that the property is probably due for some updating. Chairs, tables, carpets, countertops, vanities, etc. are all really showing wear. I suppose that's expected with the number of people (families) coming in and out of there, especially with smaller children. I would also not want to stay in certain areas of the hotel. Recommend a room on the 4th (upper) floor so that you have a quieter room and are in the same building as the waterpark. Our was 1421 ... perfect!

Room Tip: Recommend a room on the 4th (upper) floor so that you have a quieter room and are in the same buildi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write and post your detailed review. We value all guest feedback and appreciate your positive and negative comments. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My family & I have been going here for 8+ years. My kids beg us to go. The rooms are always clean, the staff friendly, the food & drinks are great at an even better price. The water park is clean with a great atmosphere. The life guards take their job seriously and actually pay attention to the people in the pool. Love going there we always love going and there is no better place for a family to have fun in Duluth.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank MilitaryClark
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your experiences here. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a great family fun, and really appreciate your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back and thanking you in person the next time you are here.