All reviewsmini golfbunk bedsdrink tokensthe indoor water parkoutdoor pool and hot tubbreakfast buffetedge waterwear and tearroom suitegreat view of lakenorth shorelake walklifeguardsarcadetikiwaterslidesgrandkids
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I make a trip to the Edge with our 4 children at least once a winter. We have never been disapointed. We like to go mid-week to avoid the crowds and also take advantage of discounts. We have staid in all the room types in the main building, with the water park. Our favorite was this last time when we had a 2 room suite over looking the lake. It was a perfect space for our 4 small children and my husband and I had our own room.
I love the friendliness and helpful staff. The water park feels safe because I my husband and I have the extra eyes of lifeguards. I love that we can settle in and eat supper right in the water park and breakfast in our PJ's!
We are hoping to make it back down in the next month or so and bring the grandparents!

Room Tip: we do prefer to stay in the main building with the water park.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you very much for your many visits and for sharing your comments about your experiences here. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a good time to be had by everyone in your family. We look forward to welcoming you all back and serving you again here soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The water park is great for our grand kids Our grand chidren are six and eight. I enjoyed the water park and my age is a little older.. I also enjoyed sking at Spirit Mountain with my son and grand children too. It is a very good location near the lake. The breakfast was very good with alot of different things to choose from. We enjoyed our stay and will be back next year.It is a great place to take a nice winter break.

George J

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments and 5 star rating about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you and your grandchildren were able to enjoy your time here, and that you will be back again next year. We look forward to serving you here again.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our family really enjoyed staying at the Edgewater. Both kids, aged 3 and 4, had a blast at the waterpark. They are already asking when we can go back again.
The staff was friendly and the rooms were good. We were located on the third floor (that's the lobby level) right near the elevator. We just had to take the elevator down to the first floor and we were right at the waterpark. I was worried that with a full hotel, lots of kids, and being near the elevator that it would be really noisy, but I was surprised to find it wasn't too bad.
And despite the hotel being full, the waterpark didn't seem too crowded. We were always able to find two-person tube to use without much of a wait. And the lineup to go down the tube slide moved along quickly.
The only downside to our stay was the lengthy wait at check-in time. We probably waited close to a half hour in line. And with kids anxious to get to the waterpark, it was a little frustrating. Also, our package deal came with a free pizza, but it took close to an hour to get our pizza. So if it's busy, I'd advise ordering well in advance of the time you want to eat. The free continental breakfast was also crowded, but it was nice to have that option in the hotel so we could get back to the waterpark for a bit in the morning before checkout.
All in all, good value for our money, a fun time for our family, and we will definitely be returning!

1  Thank Heather L

Thank you for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the waterpark, and apologize for the wait times you encountered upon check in and for your pizza. We value all guest input and use it to improve our service, so that this does not recur. We look forward to serving you again here soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Looked nice in the pictures and we couldnt wait to get there. We had booked two nights and thought we would have a great time. First impression as we pulled in was "is this really it?" There are two parts to the property one is a motel that is not connected so beware when booking. The area is run down looking. Next the lobby, which was nice, we got our key and went to our first room, which was the one with the bunk bed, it was so small! You literally couldnt move. We had our pack and play which wouldnt fit anywhere so we went back to the front and asked for a new room which was okay. The bathroom was tiny but there was floor space....to bad it was dirty and looked as though it hadn't even been vaccuumed. The kids did have fun at the water park which did look well kept. The outside part was very sad and ran down. The hotel really needs to work on this area because it has potential and when the weather is nice would be a fun place to hang out but not in its current condition. The lounge is also a joke, its the continental breakfast area, we were excpecting an actual bar/resturant/lounge which it is definetly not. Breakfast was okay. Needless to say we checked out after one night due to disapointment, I would not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Watch out for the motel rooms which are not connected, but really I don't think there is a good room in this place.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I am very sorry you were so disappointed with us during your recent stay here, and offer my sincere apologies. We know you have a lot of hotels to choose from and want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and take it very seriously when we learn we've missed the mark, as we did with you. I'm glad your family were able to enjoy the waterpark, and appreciate your kind words. I hope you will continue to enjoy Duluth on future visits.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Let me give you a small story before my review. I had recently booked a 2 story condo on the lake at a different resort for Valentine's Day weekend so my girlfriend and I could enjoy the splendors of Lake Superior and Duluth. Just ONE day before we were to leave, I get a call apologizing about double booking my room. They offered a discount on a future stay, but would not be able to give me lodging that weekend.

Now i'm in a panic trying to figure out how to explain to my girlfriend that the weekend is ruined. I remembered I had visited the Edgewater Resort on a previous trip to Duluth, though it was just a party package for entrance into the waterpark. Thinking a water park would be the next best thing, I gave them a call. The attendant at the desk was very nice and to my surprise, they actually had a room left. She called it the Lakeview Queen room. She said everything could be easily accessed by their skyway. Intrigued by the word lakeview, I decided to book the package. The package included wristbands into the water park for my days of staying, 2 drink special coins, and a discount to the Black Woods restaurant (Highly recommended).

We had finally arrived at the resort, and we were pretty tired from the drive. I went in to get our room keys. The staff behind the counter were all very kind and there was virtually no wait despite the resort being booked to capacity. It was only when we found out where our room was that it started going down hill. Our room was in an area that was almost completely detached from the main resort. Connected only by skyway, it seemed like it was an older hotel that they just bought and connected to the resort.

We got to room 2140 and started to unpack. We decided we wanted to go swimming but realized that while the skyway was enclosed and protected from the elements, you still had to brave the cold just to get to the skyway. That means walking the length of the detached segment, and climbing some stairs to get to the entrance. The water park was what we were expecting, the only downside was that the adults were not supervising their kids in the hot tub. Everything else about it was perfect. Definitely the highlight of the trip.

My girlfriend decided that since we were going out to the casino after the water park that she didn't want to go to the locker room to change out of her swimsuit, put on her old clothes, run outside to get to the room, take a shower, and put on new clothes. So, she just ran, soaking wet, tot he hotel to save herself some time. If this had been a room inside the resort, there would have been no problem.

The room had its own downfalls. The main door was hard to bolt shut, so we just opted for the chain. When someone was in the bathroom with the door shut, you could still see what was going on via a large crack in the door jam. Once she was ready, we left for the casino.

We came back ready to relax. So, we turned on the tv and tried to turn it towards the bed, only to find that it was bolted to the table. I decided to grab the table and angle it away from the wall so I could get the tv facing the bed. During that time, a coaxial cable came loose and we lost tv reception. Upon further inspection, the coaxial connector from the wall to the tv wasn't crimped properly and it just fell out. After pushing it back in, I finally got tv reception again.

Now it's time to cook some popcorn, but we couldn't find the microwave. i read in some other reviews that they had microwaves in their room. Ours must have been stolen. The last minor issue was the mini fridge. It was just too tall to fit under the sink outside the bathroom, so it just sat up next to the counter. Very out of place and in the way.

Checkout was a lot slower than check in. Due to it being a full house the night before, there were a lot of people waiting. I experienced some disgruntled customers, but the staff up front took care of them calmly and professionally. The only thing I could say to improve on would be the gift shop should be relocated, or should have a separate cashier. It only further enrages already disgruntled customers when the desk clerks have to ring up those purchases too. I did see one lady wait in line for her merchandise for nearly 10 minutes before being helped.

I guess I feel I didn't get much value when i compared what I got with what I paid for. I'm sure that if I would have stayed inside the resort itself, and not in the detached area, that I would have had a much better experience. It was just bad timing on my part, but bless my girlfriend's heart, she understood I was trying my hardest, and we had a great time in Duluth regardless.

Room Tip: "Stay in the resort and not in one of the lakeview rooms in the detached portion during the winter time."
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed comments about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry we did not give you a better explanation of your room location when booking, and for the discomfort and inconveniences it caused you. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation so others don't experience the same thing. We generally do have a separate gift shop cashier, and I'm sorry that wasn't the case while you were here. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust the next time you visit Duluth.