“Great Time with our grandchildren at the Edge”

Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The water park is great for our grand kids Our grand chidren are six and eight. I enjoyed the water park and my age is a little older.. I also enjoyed sking at Spirit Mountain with my son and grand children too. It is a very good location near the lake. The breakfast was very good with alot of different things to choose from. We enjoyed our stay and will be back next year.It is a great place to take a nice winter break.

George J

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments and 5 star rating about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you and your grandchildren were able to enjoy your time here, and that you will be back again next year. We look forward to serving you here again.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our family really enjoyed staying at the Edgewater. Both kids, aged 3 and 4, had a blast at the waterpark. They are already asking when we can go back again.
The staff was friendly and the rooms were good. We were located on the third floor (that's the lobby level) right near the elevator. We just had to take the elevator down to the first floor and we were right at the waterpark. I was worried that with a full hotel, lots of kids, and being near the elevator that it would be really noisy, but I was surprised to find it wasn't too bad.
And despite the hotel being full, the waterpark didn't seem too crowded. We were always able to find two-person tube to use without much of a wait. And the lineup to go down the tube slide moved along quickly.
The only downside to our stay was the lengthy wait at check-in time. We probably waited close to a half hour in line. And with kids anxious to get to the waterpark, it was a little frustrating. Also, our package deal came with a free pizza, but it took close to an hour to get our pizza. So if it's busy, I'd advise ordering well in advance of the time you want to eat. The free continental breakfast was also crowded, but it was nice to have that option in the hotel so we could get back to the waterpark for a bit in the morning before checkout.
All in all, good value for our money, a fun time for our family, and we will definitely be returning!

1  Thank Heather L

Thank you for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the waterpark, and apologize for the wait times you encountered upon check in and for your pizza. We value all guest input and use it to improve our service, so that this does not recur. We look forward to serving you again here soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Looked nice in the pictures and we couldnt wait to get there. We had booked two nights and thought we would have a great time. First impression as we pulled in was "is this really it?" There are two parts to the property one is a motel that is not connected so beware when booking. The area is run down looking. Next the lobby, which was nice, we got our key and went to our first room, which was the one with the bunk bed, it was so small! You literally couldnt move. We had our pack and play which wouldnt fit anywhere so we went back to the front and asked for a new room which was okay. The bathroom was tiny but there was floor space....to bad it was dirty and looked as though it hadn't even been vaccuumed. The kids did have fun at the water park which did look well kept. The outside part was very sad and ran down. The hotel really needs to work on this area because it has potential and when the weather is nice would be a fun place to hang out but not in its current condition. The lounge is also a joke, its the continental breakfast area, we were excpecting an actual bar/resturant/lounge which it is definetly not. Breakfast was okay. Needless to say we checked out after one night due to disapointment, I would not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Watch out for the motel rooms which are not connected, but really I don't think there is a good...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

I am very sorry you were so disappointed with us during your recent stay here, and offer my sincere apologies. We know you have a lot of hotels to choose from and want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and take it very seriously when we learn we've missed the mark, as we did with you. I'm glad your family were able to enjoy the waterpark, and appreciate your kind words. I hope you will continue to enjoy Duluth on future visits.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Let me give you a small story before my review. I had recently booked a 2 story condo on the lake at a different resort for Valentine's Day weekend so my girlfriend and I could enjoy the splendors of Lake Superior and Duluth. Just ONE day before we were to leave, I get a call apologizing about double booking my room. They offered a discount on a future stay, but would not be able to give me lodging that weekend.

Now i'm in a panic trying to figure out how to explain to my girlfriend that the weekend is ruined. I remembered I had visited the Edgewater Resort on a previous trip to Duluth, though it was just a party package for entrance into the waterpark. Thinking a water park would be the next best thing, I gave them a call. The attendant at the desk was very nice and to my surprise, they actually had a room left. She called it the Lakeview Queen room. She said everything could be easily accessed by their skyway. Intrigued by the word lakeview, I decided to book the package. The package included wristbands into the water park for my days of staying, 2 drink special coins, and a discount to the Black Woods restaurant (Highly recommended).

We had finally arrived at the resort, and we were pretty tired from the drive. I went in to get our room keys. The staff behind the counter were all very kind and there was virtually no wait despite the resort being booked to capacity. It was only when we found out where our room was that it started going down hill. Our room was in an area that was almost completely detached from the main resort. Connected only by skyway, it seemed like it was an older hotel that they just bought and connected to the resort.

We got to room 2140 and started to unpack. We decided we wanted to go swimming but realized that while the skyway was enclosed and protected from the elements, you still had to brave the cold just to get to the skyway. That means walking the length of the detached segment, and climbing some stairs to get to the entrance. The water park was what we were expecting, the only downside was that the adults were not supervising their kids in the hot tub. Everything else about it was perfect. Definitely the highlight of the trip.

My girlfriend decided that since we were going out to the casino after the water park that she didn't want to go to the locker room to change out of her swimsuit, put on her old clothes, run outside to get to the room, take a shower, and put on new clothes. So, she just ran, soaking wet, tot he hotel to save herself some time. If this had been a room inside the resort, there would have been no problem.

The room had its own downfalls. The main door was hard to bolt shut, so we just opted for the chain. When someone was in the bathroom with the door shut, you could still see what was going on via a large crack in the door jam. Once she was ready, we left for the casino.

We came back ready to relax. So, we turned on the tv and tried to turn it towards the bed, only to find that it was bolted to the table. I decided to grab the table and angle it away from the wall so I could get the tv facing the bed. During that time, a coaxial cable came loose and we lost tv reception. Upon further inspection, the coaxial connector from the wall to the tv wasn't crimped properly and it just fell out. After pushing it back in, I finally got tv reception again.

Now it's time to cook some popcorn, but we couldn't find the microwave. i read in some other reviews that they had microwaves in their room. Ours must have been stolen. The last minor issue was the mini fridge. It was just too tall to fit under the sink outside the bathroom, so it just sat up next to the counter. Very out of place and in the way.

Checkout was a lot slower than check in. Due to it being a full house the night before, there were a lot of people waiting. I experienced some disgruntled customers, but the staff up front took care of them calmly and professionally. The only thing I could say to improve on would be the gift shop should be relocated, or should have a separate cashier. It only further enrages already disgruntled customers when the desk clerks have to ring up those purchases too. I did see one lady wait in line for her merchandise for nearly 10 minutes before being helped.

I guess I feel I didn't get much value when i compared what I got with what I paid for. I'm sure that if I would have stayed inside the resort itself, and not in the detached area, that I would have had a much better experience. It was just bad timing on my part, but bless my girlfriend's heart, she understood I was trying my hardest, and we had a great time in Duluth regardless.

Room Tip: "Stay in the resort and not in one of the lakeview rooms in the detached portion during the win...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed comments about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry we did not give you a better explanation of your room location when booking, and for the discomfort and inconveniences it caused you. I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation so others don't experience the same thing. We generally do have a separate gift shop cashier, and I'm sorry that wasn't the case while you were here. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust the next time you visit Duluth.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Loved staying here and can't wait to go back for another mini vacation. The only complaint that we had was that our room was by an entrance door and that there was quite a bit of noise, that isn't anything to do w/ the hotel or their employees, but guests that aren't considerate of what time of night they are slamming doors, etc. They allow pets. The rooms were very clean. The waterpark is a lot of fun for the whole family. We have stayed at many hotel/waterparks and this is one of our favorites!

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't next right next to an entrance room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for making your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you were happy with the service and accommodations, and that you enjoyed the waterpark during your visit. We look forward to the next time we can serve you here.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The rooms with the lake view are right over the freeway so there is traffic noise, but it's a small price to pay for the view of the Lift Bridge and Lake Superior. The staff is very pleasant and efficient, and the rooms are clean. Refrigerator and microwave are included with the rooms and there was plenty of space. The waterpark can get really full which isn't very pleasant simply because many people are inconsiderate of others, but when it isn't as full on a weeknight, it's very pleasant. The lifeguards are very alert and attentive. There is an indoor and outdoor hot tub and although there are only two slides, my son has never complained. They no longer serve anything hot for breakfast, which disappointed, but they did have cereals, muffins, donuts, hard-boiled eggs, bagels and toast. Beware, the only milk was skim. But overall, we enjoy our stay and will continue to return for our winter get-away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your many visits and for taking the time to write and share your comments. I'm glad you and your family count on us for an enjoyable winter get a way, and appreciate your understanding and acknowledgement of jobs well done by our team. We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you again next year.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I brought my daughter here for her first birthday, and had alot of fun.. though afraid of the pool noise buts thats ok. I thought the breakfast area smelled terriable.. has that old moldy garbage smell i covered my face everytime i walked by.. then at 4 the bar opened and i had mcdonalds for my daughter to eat and we were asked not to eat because we cant have outside food.. well i had to because of the highchair for her.. i thought that was so completley rude! Because i would never bring that to our room becUse its not mine.. pool was so increadibly cold.. probably why she didnt ike it.. i didnt like it . But it was fun minus the lack of service towards letting me eat in public areas .. the food is over priced.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for sharing your candid comments about your recent stay with us. There is never any excuse for rude service by any team member here, and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies. We value all guest input, and I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation, so that this does no recur. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust the next time you visit Duluth.