“Great place!”

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Crosslake, Minnesota
“Great place!”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I took my wife and daughter here for the weekend, we have stayed all over Duluth and we get into historical places, this place is so cool. We loved the fact that The Suites has modern touches along with the original timbers and brickwork in the rooms. We have already booked another room to go back in a month!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Ontario
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Recently stayed here with a girlfriend for a girls getaway of shopping and relaxing. We were on the main floor so we did not see much of the hotel. We had a pool side room double suite. It was nice as there is a kitchenette there with full sized refrigerator. The breakfast was ok, nothing to write home about but it did the job. Pool area was good, beds comfortable. I would not want to stay in pool side room again as it is very loud from the kids at the pool even with the door closed. I would stay in one of the exterior rooms on another floor. Service was good, parking was easy, and love the location. So much to do around the area.
It would not be my first place to stay, but if my preference in hotel was not available as it was not available this weekend, I would not hestitate to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Eveleth, Minnesota
Reviewed November 25, 2010

My 10 year old daughters and I spent one night at The Suites while my husband was in the hospital. I was given an unbelievable rate for medical lodging and was pleasantly surprised. We had an interior windowless suite which was fine for our purposes. The room was spacious and very clean. The building is an old warehouse with high ceilings and exposed painted pipes and supports. We had two rooms, two TV's, a king bed and pullout. The kitchenette was fully stocked with appliances and cookware. The bathroom was spotless although the water temp seemed a little erratic. My daughters loved the pool, hot tub and sauna. The attached Timber Lodge steakhouse was excellent and the continental breakfast was quite good. Parking in the hotel lot was not a problem for us because we were there the day before Thanksgiving and everything was very quiet. I could certainly see it being an issued during busy Duluth summers. Canal park is an ideal area with many restaurants and shops just steps away. The staff at The Suites was very pleasant and we had no complaints. We will definitely stay again, hopefully under better circumstances, and upgrade to an exterior room with Lake Superior views.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana051
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This hotel has great bones. It could be really great. The rooms are big, the location is convenient and the rates are resonable. Unfortunately, everything inside seems very dated. The furniture, the bedding, the carpet - it all needs to be updated. I would love to stay there because of the price, location, room size and also because they allow pets and all rooms have a kitchen (which is great for a family), but it just doesn't compare to the more updated hotels in Canal Park when it comes to feeling nice, new or updated. I've been staying here for years, but unfortunately I don't think I will anymore. On top of the lack of up dates, they no longer offer the happy hour reception they used to, which included beer and snacks for 2 hours everynight. That was also a very nice feature. Overall, it seems like whoever is in charge, no longer cares..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We booked this hotel for a two night stay to explore the area with our niece who was visiting from England. We got a great price on our suite ($149.99 a night plus tax) by calling the hotel direct and asking for any available special rates. We had a very large suite with a full kitchen, dining area, living room with a large jacuzzi in it (slightly strange location for the jacuzzi, but whatever!), two king bedrooms and two bathrooms (one en suite to one of the bedrooms, the other off the living room). One of the bedrooms had a fireplace.

The hotel is an old warehouse which has been converted into a variety of suites. Ours was one of the larger ones, we didn't look at any others. Our room didn't have much of a view, just the road outside and other buildings opposite, but some of the suites looked out over Canal Park and the harbor behind.

When we arrived, it became apparent that one of the bathrooms had not been cleaned adequately; the sink and toilet, although not very dirty, needed a wipe down and there was a pile of dirty towels on the floor behind the door. The living room and one bedroom had also clearly not been recently vacuumed and there was debris and hair on the carpets. We called down to the front desk, who apologized and told us to come down and get some clean towels and they would inform housekeeping the next day. I assume they didn't have any other staff available. We then inspected the rest of the room, especially the beds, but everything else seemed fine. The next day, the cleaners came while we were out and the bathroom had been cleaned, but still no vacuuming had been done.
We filled out a guest satisfaction survey and are awaiting a response from the hotel.

We were very satisfied with everything else about the hotel. It is in a great position for exploring the Canal Park area, with all it's small touristy and boutique type shops as well as walking by the lake. There are several restaurants within an easy walk; we went to Belissio's, an Italian restaurant just down the street from the hotel, which we thought was excellent, though not cheap! There is also a Caribou coffee shop across the parking lot. Parking is free for hotel guests in various adjacent lots.

Breakfast was included and was adequate, standard fare including waffles, pastries, muffins and a couple of hot items. There is also an early evening manager's reception during the week with free snacks and drinks, but we didn't attend this. There is an indoor pool area which we didn't use, but it looked pleasant and clean. There is a computer station in the reception area, with two computers for guest use free of charge, but we had our laptop with us and took appreciated the complimentary wireless internet available in our room.

All in all, we would recommend this hotel if you want plenty of space in Canal Park. We have stayed in several hotels in the area and none of them offers accommodations as large or well equipped as this one. If you used the sofa sleeper in the living room it would comfortably sleep 6. Our suite had a washer and dryer in it which would be wonderful for a longer stay and there was also a guest laundry room available elsewhere. The kitchen was great, with a full sized refrigerator, stove and dishwasher.
If it weren't for the problem we had with the cleaning, I would grade this a 10 out of 10 experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
thunder bay
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Headed to Duluth for a Girls Weekend Getaway....five of us shared a two bedroom suite -- one room had a king bed, one had two double beds and the living room had a pull out couch. We LOVED our room. It was huge, spacious...had a whirlpool in the living room, huge dining room area, two bathrooms and full kitchen which included a full size fridge, stove, microwave, sink, dishwasher etc.

The hallways were old and musty smelling but once we entered our room we never experienced that same smell. Our ceilings were really high, beds were comfy and we didn't hear our hotel room neighbours. We called the front desk twice for extra blankets and towels and they were at our room quick with what we needed.

Being right in the heart of Canal Park, we were around restaurants, specialty shops...location was great but parking was a NIGHTMARE.

Because we were on a shopping excursion, I drove down my husbands four door long bed truck. We could not find a parking spot on a Saturday night 8pm for a HALF HOUR. The hotel parking lot was FULL and the parking lot attendant could only tell us to "keep driving around". Well, when a spot opened up finally a half hour after driving around, there was no way our huge truck could fit into it as people are parked bumper to bumper in Canal Park. Finally one of the girls went to the front desk clerk and explained we had no where to park. Her reponse was "when we're full, we're full"....um, hello, we are hotel guests and you would think that as a hotel guest we are guaranteed a parking spot especially when our hotel is like $260 a night. They finally told us to just park in the fire lane and just move our truck later when the restaurant crowd went home. Nice.

We parked in the fire lane, went to our room, for dinner and finally about midnight the parking lot was beginning to empty so I could move the truck out of my illegal parking spot.

If you are looking for a huge spacious room this is the hotel for you. I have absolutely no complaints other than the crappy parking. This room was perfect for us and we probably will book here again for a girls weekend and hope that the parking doesn't take a half hour again in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here one night while I was attending a conference in Duluth. We booked last minute, so this was the only room I could find on Canal Park. If you are in that situation - this hotel will do just fine. I guess we booked a smoking room unintentionally - I didn't know hotels could have smoking rooms in Minnesota anymore. So the whole floor smelled smoky. They put an ionizer or something in our room which helped reduce the smell...but I still worried that my clothes would smell like smoke at the conference the next day.

The rooms were large - but the decor felt strange. Like "urban loft meets dorm room" - it could have been really cool, but it just felt institutional.

So, in the end, I would never plan to stay here again. However, I would stay if I wasn't able to find a room in a different hotel. In other words, I wouldn't recommend people stay here, but I also wouldn't tell someone to avoid it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business