“Perfect Place for a Fun Group Gettaway”

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 24, 2006

A group of 6 girls, 25-30 yr old stayed in the Waterfront Suite section of Hawthorne. We stayed in a 2br condo that could have easily slept 10. The room must have been at least 1000 sq ft. One br had two double beds, and the other had a king bed with a separate bathroom. In ther living room, there was a small hot tub, fireplace, and a sleep sofa. We also had a full kitchen and dining room table. There was plenty of room, considering that we stayed for 3 days. It was $209 per night plus 13% tax...well worth it.

The reason that I give it such high marks is because they were very accomodating. The room was nicely decorated, but not the nicest place that I stayed. Parking was free and check in was easy. They tell you on the phone that you have to pay $10 per person per night extra if you have more than 4, but they didn't even ask us. The location is phenominal as we were connected to Red Lobster, Timberlodge, Old Chicago. We were a block away from Grandmas which was an absolute riot. We were on a Bachelorette Party, but the crowd was very mixed from 21-50 yr olds. A refreshing experience coming from DT minneapolis. We also went to Superior one night to Stargate. It is a very clubby bar. The cab ride was only $8.

Duluth is a beautiful city and it seemed like no matter what the age, you were there to have a great time. Everyone was so nice. I will definitely go there again.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

St. Paul, MN
Reviewed May 17, 2006

We had a very nice stay in the suites for the first get away together as a couple. It was an incredible romantic weekend for us. Weather was rainy and windy and we spent most of our time in doors relaxing and spending quality time together. Room was clean and spacious. There was plenty of kitchen tools to warm up dinner and enjoy a bottle of wine while watching TV and listening to music. The down side for me was the pool was closed down for some reason. We are actually checking to go back Memorial Wkend and just learned rooms are sold out.

Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Duluth, Mn
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Just stayed at the canal part Hawthorn suites over the weekend for a family reunion. Several family memebers stayed there and all had similar responses. It has great location and our rooms were clean. The problems included: luke warm to cool showers, worn sheets and blankets with holes in them. The breakfast bar was great but the dining tables were dirty with the residue of the pizza party there the night before. The garbage containers were full and the pizza boxes stacked up. This was at 7:30 am.!!

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 8, 2006

Great re-use of a historic building. Large inviting lobby with fireplace.

The breakfast was the best I've had at a hotel and it was free. Eggs, hashbrowns, coffee, juice, cereal, fruit. The rooms were larger than I expected and the ceilings were over 12' tall.

The staff was very professional and friendly. Location was great. parking was a plentiful and free which probably explained why most of the spaces were full since the other hotels in the area were not.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2006

Stayed at the Hawthorne Suites Canal Park this Past Saturday-Thurs.

The hotel has alot of ameneties such as free internet use in the lobby.. laundry facilities..and several restaurants nearby that you can sign for to be billed to your room.

The hotel is located in a fun area.

The suite was quite spacious and kept very clean. The staff were all most accomodating and friendly..aiming to please.

For those travelling with kids, there is a nice indoor pool and the pool area was clean and safe.

The daily complimentary full breakfast was served hot and was very plentiful.

There were snacks and cold drinks/beer in the evening and on Wednesday evenings there were hot horduerves served. A nice touch...

The hotel is located in walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

It was a great hotel stay and I'd highly recommend this hotel.

I am sure during the summer this is a very touristy area.

A definate 2 thumbs up for this hotel.

6  Thank Brianjams2
Reviewed March 5, 2006

I had occasion to stay in the Hawthorn suites this past weekend and thought I would write my review while the experience was still fresh in my mind.

I booked our suite online through hotels.com and but the Hawthorn improperly entered my reservation into their system. Instead of March 3 to the 5th, the entered March 30 to April 2. It was a good thing I called to confirm last Wednesday, but the staff were very helpful and apologized by upgrading our room to a two bedroom suite with a jacuzzi and fireplace. Most likely, because the two bedroom king suite I had booked was no longer available.

In any event, the check-in process went smoothly, they were very efficient. The lobby itself is nice, and the adjoining breakfast area and business center are nice touches. However, the devil is in the detail and if you notice things like the wood trim, age of carpets and furnishings, you won't be overly impressed. It's time for an overhaul Hawthorn, and the entrances should be swept and cleaned more often during the dirty salty winter months. Not very important, but the devil is in the detail.

I can't say that I agree with some of the other reviews who noted that the halls were small and dark. The hotel is in an old retro-fitted warehouse, so the tall ceilings may give the impression that the halls are narrow, but I didn't find them to be so, nor were they musty.

Our room however was musty, but after opening the windows in each bedroom, the suite was nice and fresh smelling. The suite was clean and tidy, but again the furniture was past its prime and should be replaced, the large dinner table, a nice touch, had dings and scratches all over it and was starting to cave in. The small portion of tiled floor near the sink and fridge was also dented and dinged. Our garberator also wasn't working, but the fridge, oven and microwave were all functional and very clean.

I didn't find the king sized bed uncomfortable, if anything it was too soft. But the bedding was clean and fresh smelling and the mints on the pillows was a nice touch. The three 27" TV’s advertised on their site, are in actuality three 20-25" Zenith TV’s, that should definitely be replaced, or their site should be updated accordingly.

The Jacuzzi is located in the living room behind a sofa, facing the TV. It was clean, and worked well, although give yourself a good half hour to fill it with warm water.

My only real complaint is that the housekeeping staff and yes there are a team of five of them who descend upon the suite and clean it in less than twenty minutes, have to clean the room by noon or 1 pm. Even when at ten o'clock I asked them to come back and hour later, they returned at ten thirty and told me they had to clean the room as mine was the last on their list. I can't even imagine what hour they start work, if they've cleaned all of the rooms by 10:30, and I know the hotel was booked for that Friday night. It was unfortunate, and the hotel should adjust their staffing timetables.

On the whole I was somewhat disappointed with the Hawthorn, I found the descriptions on their site a little misleading. From a far it looks like a three or four star hotel, that's what they portray themselves as, and that's how they bill. But after staying, I would say they're at best three stars, and realistically, a two star hotel.

I did not eat breakfast in the hotel, but they had a large selection of eggs, bacon, muffins, coffee, juices, etc...

If you're looking for a good meal in the area, go across the street to the Greenmill or better yet go down the street to Famous Dave's, great BBQ and fish.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank digerati
Reviewed June 11, 2005

For the price, location and amenities, I got more than I expected.

After reading all the TA reviews, I didn't get my hopes up. But I requested a king in the newer part of the hotel and was pleasantly surprised. It was humongous - living room, kitchenette, spacious bath and a huge window with view over the canal side of the lake. We were exhausted after supper, so we chose one of the many channels to veg and drank hot chocolate, compliments of the hotel.

We did have a loud vent in the room, but I sleep with earplugs so it wasn't an issue for me. The bed was a little hard for my partner... those were really the only downsides.

The staff was very accommodating, parking was free, complimentary internet was fast and convenient, free hot breakfast was actually pretty good, and the location could not be beat.

• Stayed: June 2005