“Good Service, Spacious Accommadations”

The Suites Hotel in Canal Park
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Good Service, Spacious Accommadations”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We recently spent a night at The Suites in Canal Park. Our suite was large, clean, comfortable and quiet. We did pay a little more a suite with a window, which was small, but provided a nice view.
The front desk staff were pleasant and efficient.
A wide array of cold and hot food was offered for breakfast. Although the eggs weren't great the pastries were delicious.

• Liked — large suite
  • Disliked — Scrambled eggs
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
vactioningfam
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I have stayed at The Suites many times and always have enjoyed it. There is ups and downs to every hotel. But staying at The Suites is always seemed to be a great stay for me. When my family checked we were greeted by this wonderful younger lady who was there every night that we were there and greeted us everytime she saw us which made my family feel like at home, she seemed liked she actually cared how my family was and always asked if we were enjoying our trip. We checked in on a monday night just because we like enjoying the hotel when its is a little more quiet. Monday through Thursdays they also have this wonderful social hour which is great. Free beer, soda and some snack type items. There is just a couple things to remember when booking a room at this hotel some rooms don't have any windows and if you are like me thats just kind of wierd. My family was upgraded from a average size one bedroom into a two bedroom suite with a huge whirlpool, new furniture, and full kitchen. I don't think we have ever had a nicer person check us in and upgrade us because they have had open rooms and they were just trying to be nice. Another perk is the suites club we have had 2 free stays so far. Housekeeping is really good on doing extra little things for you, we asked for extra towels and blankets and they left extra towels in both bathrooms and by the whirlpool for us which was really nice. The only part of the stay that was a little bit different was check out, the two lady's that were on in the morning looked like they both had a bad morning one didn't seem like she knew what she was doing and the other one i don't know if she was the boss or who she was but she was she was kind of rude and snippy. But overall, breakfast is good, location is great, pool is average, night staff is execelent, housekeeping is great, rooms are beautiful, assistance is amazing.

• Liked — room and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vactioningfam
Simi Valley, CA
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed at The Suites on Lake Ave. South in Duluth because of its proximity to the Duluth Entetainment and Convention Center (DECC). It's walking distance. However, the hotel itself leaves quite a bit to be desired - particularly for the prices they charge.

The Suites is converted warehouse turned into a hotel and condos. There are three floors of hotel rooms and three floors of condos. This place has a few pluses, like full kitchens. But, there are many down sides, like not windows in half of the rooms and no windows in hallways. It's like living in solitary confinement. To see what the weather is you have to go down to the lobby and look out the front door.

Housekeeping service leaves a lot to be desired. Several days we were left with toilet paper, fewer than normal towels, and no soap.

The carpet was never vacuumed in the nine days we were there. There were pieces of lint on the floor when we checked in and they were still there when we checked out.

There is a guest laundry, but no soap available at the front desk as advertised. You have to walk down the street to a convenient store/gas station to buy laundry supplies.

They offer a free breakfast buffet, but it is inedible unless you like powdered eggs, soggy waffles, sausage swimming in greese and orange juice that ranks about three notches lower than Tang instant.

For a good breakfast walk across the street to Hell's Kitchen. It's not free, but it's excellent food at a good price.

The bottom line is: if you absolutely need a location close to the DECC, stay here. Otherwise, avoid this place.

Dan

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything except the location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SimiDan
Thunder Bay
Reviewed July 13, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights in one of the 2 Bedroom King Suites in March 2008. I was very impressed by the expansiveness of our Suite. We were with our 2 children, and my wife's 12 year old sister...so it was nice that the kids had their own room, and we had our own room with an ensuite bathroom. There was a large living room area, which also contained a kitchen area (stove top, microwave, full size fridge, dishwasher, sink, glassware, cutlery, tableware). Very convenient and the kitchenette and full sized fridge helped to keep restaurant costs to a minimum! There was another bathroom off of the 'foyer' area of the suite. Each bedroom had a TV, in addition to the TV in the living area, so there were no TV battles during our stay! It was not uncommon for my wife and I to be watching something in our room, her sister watching something in the living room, and our kids watching something else in their room.

The pool was a little chilly, and I had to request that the hot tub temperature be increased (I believe it must be turned off during the day??!!!); however it was quiet and the kids enjoyed themselves. I could not imagine trying to relax at one of the other Duluth hotel pool areas with hundreds of screaming kids running around!

The location of the hotel is excellent. There are restaurants attached to either end of the hotel... and all of Canal Park is easily within walking distance. Downtown Duluth is also very close. There is a fun centre for the kids only about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. In fact I spent an entire day there with the kids while Mom went shopping!

Parking is across the street, however I really did not mind that....I'm not sure why other people have registered complaints about this.....so you have to cross the street - no big deal. Plus, our room was on the side overlooking the parking lot so I was able to keep an eye on my vehicle. When we checked out, it took me an hour (no joke) to pack up the back of my truck with all of the purchases we had made over 3 days. I simply parked in front of the hotel doors and there was no hassle.

Prior to this stay, my wife and I had usually stayed at the Inn on Lake Superior. While we find that to be a nice hotel as well, I believe we will be staying at the Suites from now on. The extra room in the suite makes the stay so much more relaxing when you are travelling with children!

• Liked — Large Rooms, Historic decor.
  • Disliked — Hot Tub temperature (until they turned it up!)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JM27
Red Wing, MN
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I have been staying here about once a year for the past 6 or 7 years. When I first stayed, it was a Hawthorne Suites. I have stayed in various types of rooms within the hotel. Some are better than others. If you are looking to book a room, try to ask some questions about when the room was last updated. By far, the best rooms which I have stayed in are the two bedroom whirlpool suites. They are some of the priciest, but they have the most modern kitchens and furnishings. They are HUGE! which is great for my family. When they say two bedrooms, they mean it too. Each bedroom has its own door, bed dresser, TV, etc and are very large in and of themselves. I have also stayed in the two bedroom king suites. These are also very large, but perhaps a bit smaller than the two bed whirlpool. These rooms are OK, but the kitchens and the furnishings are not as modern as the two bed whirlpools. Further, I have stayed in their regular one room suites and they were OK, and to be fair, it has been a few years so they could look different now. I have never had any issues with the staff. Actually, I had a really good experience with the girl working during the mid week hospitality hour. We have small children and they serve snacks/pizza/beer/soda,etc for free on some evenings. It is in tha same area as the morning breakfast, so there is a juice machine for the AM use. The machine is turned off when they are not serving breakfast. But, when my 3 year old daughter saw it, she wanted to have juice. I told her no, but the gal running the free bar said it was OK, she'd turn the machine on so my daughter could get a glass of juice. I thought this was fantastic service and beyond the call of duty. If you are from Minnesota, see if your company is a MERSC member. If you have never heard of MERSC, look it up and find out about it and look to see if your company is a member. It is free to empolyees of member companies. It offers discounts at all kinds of events, movies, sercives, hotels, etc. This hotel offers very significant discount to MERSC members and that is how I always book. The AM breakfast is just fine. The hotel is in a great location, but the parking is across the street. I think there is limited parking near the building, for handicapped, etc. It is a converted industrial building, so that's what it looks like from the outside and a lot of that is kept inside as well. Open pipes, etc in the ceilings. If you don't like that look, then don't stay here and don't complain about it if you do. That's just the way it is. My wife and kids always use the pool and have not had any complaints. Overall, good solid place to stay and is the best deal in town if you can get the MERSC discount.

• Liked — The massive rooms with private bedrooms and multiple baths
  • Disliked — Hauling my luggage across the stree to the hotel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I'm of two minds about this hotel, and I understand why not all the reviews have been exactly glowing. I think the truth is that if you've gotten used to the nicer suite hotels, this hotel will probably look a little less spiffy in comparison. Objectively, there are several reasons for this: the furniture is somewhat older, the amenities are less obviously luxurious, and the rooms are cavernous. Our suite (two bedrooms/two baths) was literally bigger than the first apartment that my husband and I lived in. It's very hard to furnish a suite of that size and create the same upscale feel that you typically find at, say, Homewood Suites. This hotel is a converted warehouse, and looks it (as others have pointed out).

In my opinion, however, the advantages of this hotel outweigh any disadvantages of "style." Our suite was quiet and very clean. Our little boy had his own bedroom, which was even better than having him sleep in the living room on a sofabed. We had a full kitchen. The hotel actually has a kiddie pool, something we hadn't found anywhere else. And best of all, we were on a fantastic street of shops and restaurants, within view of the famous lift bridge and easy walking distance to the Duluth Dock (where you can board a boat to tour the harbor).

We visited Duluth in the middle of the week. It is possible (though we can't confirm this) that this may be a noisy street on weekends--but it was mostly quiet when we were there. It is a little inconvenient to park your car across Lake Street from the hotel, but you can pull up in back of it to unload and load your car. We were less impressed with the breakfast bar here than at the other places we stayed on this vacation. The use of styrofoam plates and plastic utensils was especially disappointing. But on the whole, if you're looking for an all-suite hotel in the heart of Duluth, this seems to me a very good option.

• Liked — The location!
  • Disliked — Styrofoam plates and plastic utensils on the breakfast bar.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Symphonic
Shakopee, MN
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed at "The Suites Hotel in Canal Park" over the 4th of July weekend, and it was very good. Service was very good, food was very good - and the maid service was also very good. For the price you really get a good sized room. We stayed at another hotel in Duluth for one night to use the waterpark and that hotel was not nearly as nice as this one. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to go to Duluth for a weekend or just a night. If it's for a week I'm not so sure, as parking is kind of tough (across the street). Also - having so many food options nearby helps greatly!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family