“Smelly!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Canal Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
“Smelly!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is a great property on the edge of Lake Superior, we arrived in a snow storm and the service counter personal were very friendly and accommodating. The rate was excellent for a Thursday night. We got a lake view which was beautiful. The room had comfortable pillows and a good matteress. The furniture was nice and the water pressure was good in the shower. One thing that really bothered me was the smell. It smelled like sweat. We asked for another room and the staff were excellent and gave me another room right away. To my surprise the smell was the same. We stayed in the second room. It may be some kind of cleaner that they are using.

The breakfast was good pancakes, toast, an assortment of pastries, ceral, eggs, and breakfast sauage.

Overall a beautiful property, great price, but need to revisit the cleaning.

Room Tip: get a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel all the time when we come down to Duluth. Last weekend, which will probably be our last weekend to stay there, The room overall was clean, except when I went to have my shower. There was long dark hair STUCK to the ceramic tile on the wall!!!! I called down to the front desk and was given the attitude of " what do you want me to? Do you want me come and wipe it off?" I found this kind of rude, told him I did it, but he needed let the manager know. On our last day there at breakfast, my husband found a hair in his eggs. That was the last straw. When checking out, I told the girl about the issues and that I want a call from the manager to discuss this. I haven't anything. Lots of other beautiful hotels in Canal Park to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brenda p
Superior, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Canal Park Lodge is a great place to stay in Duluth. Great breakfast very morning and a cash bar at night. Close to many great places to eat and shop. Extremely nice rooms, clean, friendly staff, and great views of the lake if you get a lake view room! Would recommend to all!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed here for the weekend and had a great time. We had dinner at the brewery next door, it was very good and nice and close to walk after a couple of beer. The hotel has very comfy beds and pillows. It has a great hot breakfast and caribou coffee. There is a cash bar in the lobby at night, which is nice to sit and have a drink on the comfy couch in the lobby. We will return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thunder Bay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I must begin this review by stating that Canal Park Lodge has been my favourite hotel in Duluth for years. Just the charm of Canal Park makes it my Go-To spot in the city, and of all the hotels in that hub, Canal Park Lodge has always embodied the earthy, green vision of the area. All other visits would have given it a five star glowing review and I feel bad that I didn't take the time to review then, but this last time was a disappointment and made me pick up my cyber-pen to comment…

Simply put, the rooms smelled. We came with our family last month for March break and were eagerly looking forward to the space afforded by these large rooms. As soon as we opened the door, a wave of odour hit, causing us to immediately turn and go ask for a new room. We were given one, but it was the same. The third room we requested was the least but still, all three rooms smelled like feet. In changing our rooms, the woman at the front desk rolled her eyes (bad customer service) and obliged without even a comment. I'm in the customer service industry, and you can always tell a crabby customer from one you should take seriously. This woman didn't care to try.

Now this hotel is no longer brand-spanking new so the carpets may be in need of a change. Fair enough but we found pretzels stuffed in the air-conditioner, dust-bunnies in the closet and bobby pins in the dressers, a sign that the cleaning protocols are less than five star. In a hotel like this, that is a little frightening.

I love this hotel and would hate to see it start to slip by bad hiring practices or less-than-stellar service. I hope that a few complaints by less-satisfied customers might give them the nudge they need to make the needed improvements and put this hotel back in first place where it belongs.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the lake.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Ishpeming, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

My mother and I stayed here for a vacation weekend sans husbands or kids. I was hoping for it to be very relaxing, because when I think of the word "lodge", I imagine a place of respite and luxury.

Well, this hotel definitely has both! Not only does it look like a lodge on the outside, but as soon as you walk in, you are greeted by a large stone fireplace, mounted fish and wildlife in the walls, and floor to ceiling windows that overlook Lake Superior. They also scent the air in the hotel to smell like different things. Pretty neat.

Every staff member I talked to was friendly and helpful.

Our room was very large and had a balcony facing the lake. It was just a standard, two bed room, but I was surprised at the amount of space. Nothing to complain about with the rooms. It was quiet and clean.

The breakfast was also great: eggs, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, muffins, cheesy hash browns, and waffles. They also serve Caribou Coffee, which is one of my personal favorites. The breakfast staff was accommodating and helpful and kept everything well stocked. There is a lot of room to eat, too, with plenty of table and chair space.

The hotel is within walking distance to many different shops and restaurants and is also on a running and walking path, the Lake Walk. I would have loved to have gone for a run on the path, but it seemed pretty muddy and wet, due to the spring thaw, so I opted to work out in the fitness room in the hotel instead.

The only thing I would say for a downfall about this place is the fitness room. I expected, for the price of the rooms and the great features of the hotel, a much bigger fitness center. It is a very small room with equipment kind of crammed in there. I have stayed at two Hampton Inn hotels within the past year and those places have huge and awesome fitness rooms. That's kind of what I was expecting here. Maybe they will upgrade in the future, though. I'm not sure. It is not a huge complaint, I just expected more.

I would definitely return. It is a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Get a lake side room for a pretty sunrise view!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ageist856
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here 3 times in different rooms and all were excellent. My favorite room is 349, that's a corner suite with 10 by 10 foot deck that overlooks canal park and the lake. Room has oversized walk in shower and 2 person hot tub..The hot breakfast is the best..

• Stayed March 2014