“Nice, Clean Hotel - Great Staff”

Sheraton Duluth Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We stayed at the Sheraton in August of 2009 after my Aunt had an accident in northern Minnesota and was life-flighted to St Mary's. The staff was extremely supportive and helpful, especially Rebekah and Marshall. They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed.

The hotel has many amenities - free wifi in public areas (you have to pay in your room), the use of a printer and computers in the lobby, a cute bar, great fitness center, Starbucks coffee in the rooms. It is also connected to the parking garage and Skywalk system for convenience. If you've never been to Duluth before, the downtown area is built on a VERY steep hill and the Skywalk system makes it a lot easier to get around.

The garage is not very far at all. I don't know why some of the reviews make it seem like you have to walk forever to get to it. It's really just at the end of a long hallway that is connected to the hotel by an elevator at the back of the ground floor.

If you are traveling to Duluth for medical reasons, be sure to check with the hospital about securing medical rates for the hotel. I felt that $88 was a great value for this safe, clean and comfortable hotel. It was nice not to have to worry about ANYTHING while we were there dealing with a crisis.

I highly recommend this hotel! It was one of my better hotel experiences, and I travel a lot!

• Stayed: August 2009
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Duluth Hotel

Reviewed July 5, 2009

My family stayed here for the 4th of July and felt comfortable. The rooms are nicely decorated and along with the lobby.
The service was friendly and the location was in close proximity of the lake walk.
I booked via Hotwire and got a good deal, however the hotel does not have a free breakfast or a microwave/refrigerator in the room which would have been nice.
The noise from the hallways can be heard easily though your room door but the ceiling and wall insulation is good.
I would recommend staying here in the future if you can grab a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel when the one I usually stay at in canal park was booked. The room was very nice--a classy, but comfortable minimalist decor. The staff was also very friendly & helpful. However, I still prefer staying in the canal park area. The parking at the Sheraton was in a city lot, not as convient (or safe, in my opinion) as a parking lot right outside the hotel. Also, even though I had a "lake view" room, the lake was in the distance, not directly outside the door like in canal park. Also, walking around the area at night as a female solo traveler, was a little questionable since there is a gentleman's club about 1-2 blocks away. Also, the whole downtown area seemed a bit run down.

Also, breakfast was not included & I had to pay extra for high speed internet.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My family recently had a tragedy when grandpa had a very bad stroke and ended up in the hospital in Duluth, MN. As our family is scattered across the state, we all made trips to Duluth to be with him and support each other. The staff at the Sheraton have been kind, helpful, and at times have gone out of their way to accommodate our large family. We were all given rooms in close proximity on the 5th floor. The even numbered rooms have a lake view, odd numbered have a city view. We were given a special rate of $86.00 per night, almost twenty dollars less than the cheapest internet rate.

During the week, the hotel and hospital are connected by a heated skywalk; however, this is closed on weekends, so they make the shuttle readily available. The logest we ever waited was less than 10 minutes. The shuttle runs until about 9:45 p.m. - very reliable service.

The rooms are nice-sized, very clean, and have plenty of space to get the suitcases out of the way. The beds and pillows are very comfortable with soft, cozy sheets and covers. The pool and jacuzzi are very small and very chlorinated, but enjoyed by the grandkids none-the-less. The only addition I would make to the room would be a small fridge, and have a microwave available for guest use.

Check-in and check-out were effortless, no mistakes noted on the bill. And everyone provided service with a smile! We will be spending many more nights in Duluth and will continue to book at the Sheraton.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I didn't even stay at the Sheraton, but my experience has been awful. I reserved a room for the 2009 Grandma's marathon in September 2008. They charged my credit card ($540) in January 2009 - it's pretty unusual for a hotel to charge you before you've stayed there. I ended up finding a different, cheaper place to stay, so I called to cancel my reservation at the end of January. Woman from customer service said everything was fine, the charge would be taken off. I called back a week later because the charge was still there. First the woman said I must have reserved the room through a 3rd party website (which I didn't), so there was no refund. I was transferred to the billing department. I left 3 messages, finally got in touch with the billing guy. He didn't have any idea what I was trying to do, and transferred me to reservations. Explained my predicament AGAIN, and she said everything was fine and the charge would be removed from my credit card. It's been a week, and instead of removing the $540 charge, I have a new one for another $50. I understand why a hotel doesn't want to make cancellations easy, but this is ridiculous. Maybe I wasn't going to stay there for Grandma's, but you can be sure I'm not staying there ever.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank travelinmidwest
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My wife and I headed up to Duluth to go skiing at Spirit Mountain and the highlight of the trip ended up being the hotel. I cannot say enough about the staff, every single one of them was friendly and they did all they could to make our stay comfortable.
The rooms are very recently updated, great beds and pillows, meticulously cleaned rooms, large widescreen High Def plasmas with 80 some channels of cable and enormous showers plus great views of Duluth! They also have an on-site restaurant, 24-hour workout facility and a nice pool and hot tub. The nicest hotel in Duluth in my opinion, hands down. Like any hotel though, the service makes or breaks it and the service was spectacular. The first night we arrived, the lobby was slow and we walked up to the bar and ordered two Daiquiris, it was late and the bartender had everything packed up, but she smiled and said it would be just a second as they had just gotten a new blender. With a smile that seemed genuine, she unpacked the new blender and made us two awesome Daiquiris (I was a bartender in college so I know it can be a pain when people order blended drinks when you have everything all set for the night). The bar staff was great throughout our stay.
We were always greeted quickly and warmly entering the lobby and by all staff we saw. The front desk staff was extremely helpful throughout our stay and they even generously offered to keep our bags locked up for us after we checked out while we skied (it was minus 12 degrees, so it allowed us to keep all of our belongings from freezing) and they even let us take another dip in the hot tub and use the showers after our freezing day on the slopes to warm up (even though we had checked out we were very pleasantly surprised and grateful).
We had breakfast in the restaurant and again the service was fantastic, the food served quickly, piping hot and delicious (the maple walnut compound butter was superb along with fresh MN tapped Maple syrup) and our server was great (our waters never even hit half empty).
To address those reviewers who have complained of walking to the parking ramp, we were shocked, after having read the previous reviews, to find the walk a mere 100 yards or so in a completely enclosed, heated skyway connecting the covered parking ramp (a fantastic amenity in December in MN) to the hotel. How anyone could confuse the walk as being “nearly a ½ mile” is beyond ludicrous. It is a brightly lit, secure corridor that extends 100 to maybe 125 yards and is hardly even a concern to any even remotely able-bodied person; any reviewers pointing to this as issue have issues of their own.
Bottom line- this will always be our choice on the North Shore going forward. The staff were among the nicest we have ever been served by and they saw to our every need. The Duluth Sheraton is the best place to stay on the MN North Shore by far.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RedSpecV
Reviewed November 21, 2008

The appeal of the Sheraton in Duluth is that it's furnishings are new and the location is great.

My wife and I stayed recently and overall we thought the hotel was nice. The room was small, but clean, and the staff was friendly. Parking can be an issue if you mind walking a bit, but most of the walk is in the skywalk and the hotel itself, so it's not as bad as a long walk outside in the cold/rain/etc...

My only real criticism of this hotel is the price, but that is "the norm" in Duluth. The cost of living in Duluth is far too high for the standard of living, which helps explain the negative population growth that the area has experienced.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business