“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton in Duluth one night using cash and points. I'm a Gold Starwood member so I was on the 5th floor which is the club level. So the view of the lake was nice. Our room was very spacious and comfortable with a nice bathroom. Very clean, lobby was nice. Good location. Easy to walk in downtown or a few blocks across the freeway to Canal Dr and the shores of Lake Superior. Parking is not a problem. There is a city parking ramp attached via enclosed walkway and the hotel will validate for free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coldStPaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Little Canada, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels… In fact, I have stayed in many Sheratons over my lifetime. Unfortunately, this was the worst Sheraton experience I have ever had in terms of the service we received from the staff, and the parking situation. The bed was very comfortable and the housekeeping staff was friendly. The rooms and restrooms are awkward, but certainly manageable and overall comfortable. The issue I had was the front desk employees... They made me feel like I was troubling them every time I had to talk to them. I was there during a very busy weekend due to college graduations, so I understand they were busy... but the team running the desk the entire time I was there were young in age and attitude. It felt like mom and dad went away for the weekend and gave the kids the keys.

The front of the hotel is on a very busy street, and you actually need to park behind the hotel in a parking ramp. The trip to the parking ramp with luggage is very difficult to make, as it involves two elevators and lots of curves and bends, and the ramp itself is poorly marked. One of the persons in our party was in a wheelchair, and attempting to maneuver him around the property was very challenging. In addition, I see other reviewers talking about the nearby drugstore, and you need to know there isn't a Walgreens within 'walking distance' in any season other than summer (It is at least 9 blocks away... and in the 50 degree cold rain that is not a 'close' distance... and this is a Minnesota girl talkin', here!). The Blackwater Lounge is next door which is awesome because they have great food and cocktails. If you cannot change your reservation and have to stay at this hotel, plan on spending your time there, because the Sheraton Duluth lobby is not a comfortable place for more than five people to hang out and be social. The bartender was a super cool dude though, so I have to hand it to him for making the best of his domain. To top it off.... they tried to charge me $20.00 more a night even though I booked with the wedding party at a discounted rate of $120.00 per night. Considering the beauty of the city, it is a shame I spent $120.00 a night at this hotel, but it is a Sheraton so I presumed it was safe on hotel reputation alone. To think I could have stayed somewhere with a view and better customer service, and forgone the name and probably had a much better stay and paid less. Live and learn.

Room Tip: The 'lake view' isn't that great so don't pay more for something that isn't wort...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Felicity1977umn
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Duluth is a beautiful small city in and of itself, and my stay at the Sheraton, though brief, did not disappoint. I'm fairly loyal to Starwood properties for business travel, so I was pleased to have an option here. I was in a King Deluxe room which proved to be spacious, updated, exceptionally clean, and have a great view of Lake Superior.

Like most business trips, this one didn't have me in the room for more than a night, but it was a peaceful stay with great service from the staff (from desk to room service) and a couple of tasty amenities to boot.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this property again. It was perfectly situated in the heart of Duluth. For those who don't the like the renowned B&B experiences that Duluth offers, this is a great value for a hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Annalise K
Plymouth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We decided to take a trip up to Duluth for a couple of days to welcome in Spring. We forgot that Duluth gets Spring about a month later than the Twin Cities! Even with the blistery weather and on and off rain, we had a terrific time!

I don't get the bad reviews of this property! We had an excellent experience with the Sheraton! We stayed on the Club Floor in one of the corner Suites with views of Lake Superior and Canal Park. The staff were welcoming and accommodating on our arrival, and took good care of us while we were there. Our room was very nicely appointed with a living room with couch, comfy chair, coffee table, a wardrobe, TV, and a large desk & chair. There was a nice bar area with a mini-refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and sink. The bathroom had a whirlpool tub/shower combo. We both showered every day and didn't experience any problem getting hot water or controlling the temperature of the shower. Our bedroom had a very comfortable bed, TV, comfy chair and a couple of bedside tables.

Breakfast, snacks and beverages in the Club Room were good. It's nice to have access for waters, sodas (Coke products), coffees and munchies. Breakfast consisted of bagels, toast, muffins, cold cereal, hard boiled eggs and the like. Evening snacks were chips & salsa, veggies & dip, cheese & crackers, and the like. Everything was fresh & tasty.

We'll go back to Duluth this Summer when the weather is better and we will definitely return to the Sheraton!

Room Tip: Get higher up and lake side. It never hurts when you are going to a Starwood property to be SPG Plat...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
St Paulaul, Minnesota, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Sheraton in downtown Duluth MN is way overpriced and underserviced. Stayed here for business meetings and was really disappointed in the service and employee attitudes. When you spend that much you really expect some great service and the basics. Good luck in getting hot water to the upper floors, could not get a hot shower any day I was there. I had a lot to bring in there and was really struggling at the front door while 2 desk employees just watched like it was a show. The food in the restaurant was way over priced and level of service was non-existent, worse steak I ever had in my life. The lady working the bar at night had a really bad attitude like it was a chore to get waited on, but she had time to sit with friends and talk. The parking ramp and hike to the hotel is way too long and not at all convenient. I have stayed the other hotels in Canal Park and they were so much nicer and so much friendlier. I heard the Sheraton was struggling and can understand why.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Frank R
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Staff was pleasent from check in to check out.

Rooms were clean, beds are comfortable. It was nice to see the small added toiletries such as cotton balls, q-tips and a lofa.

Located in walking distance to many restaurants, pubs and Wagreens. Great view of the Lake.

Only down fall is that many other Starwood Hotels offer free wifi in the room, where this property does not. This is the only Starwood hotel that I have had to pay for room wifi.

Room Tip: Fitgers has a good local beer selection. Tycoons has a neat underground pub to go for a drink or tw...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We just left this hotel after a Sat night stay 4/20. Not impressed. At all. The best thing was the view. And odd at that- out the corner bedroom window room 632.

The rooms were old and very outdated. They were stained and gross. I didn't want to sit on the couch and my poor kids had to sleep in it. Ewww. The couch was very soiled, stained and had holes in it.

The club level was nothing special. Very small continental breakfast. No warm foods. Coffee was not good and the little creamers were so old they were dried up.

The grounds were clean.

The bedding was good.

The pool area was small but kids had fun. Water was cold but not torturous.

The front desk staff, a gentleman, acted as if I was putting him out to ask for an extra pillow and blanket. Rude and short. A gal was very kind. The housekeeping gal that came to our room was very prompt, kind, friendly and helpful. Asking if she could do anything more to help and helped me pull the bed out of the couch. She was by far the best employee the entire stay. Thank you.

Our room was over $300 for one night. No extras. Little pricey for a old stained room. I will not have our family stay again.

• Stayed April 2013