“Great old style architecture”

Sheraton Duluth Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Great new hotel in "Old Downtown". It reminds me of the grand
hotels of the old days with lots of dark wood, it has a warm at-
mosphere which is a plus in Duluth. The rooms were very
comfortable and the bathrooms have a historical look with lots
of detailed ceramic and marble. The food at the restaurant was
excellent which is something lacking in most hotel restaurants.
( I heard it changed hands recently) I hope they keep it up. That
part of Downtown has improved a lot in recent years and the
Sheraton Hotel is a big part of that renaissance ( I moved from
Duluth to the Twin Cities ten years ago). Iwould definately stay
there again.

• Stayed: May 2007
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Duluth Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2008

My family stayed here for 2 nights in February. The rooms were very nice, complete with flat screen TV and a gorgeous, roomy bathroom. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. They advised us of their free shuttle service to locations in Duluth and we used it to go to the nearby Omnimax.

We did not take advantage of the dining room, but it seemed to be quite busy in the morning and for dinner. There is complimentary Starbucks coffee and tea available in the lobby in the morning, and in the rooms. We had breakfast at a small restaurant in the Fitgers Inn down the street.

There was a bit of a hike to get to the covered parking, but there was no charge and we didn't find it too inconvenient.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again. It would be a great place to stay in the summer as Canal Park is not far and there are a number of shops close by.

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 20, 2008

By far, the best hotel I have stayed at in Duluth . Far superior to the Radisson which tend to have similar pricing. Extremely professional staff, excellent attention to detail, excellent all-round service.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2008

Booked into this new Sheraton hotel on an un-named web travel spot for a great price. However when I checked in I was told I could only stay in the back side of the hotel unless a paid a $20 per night upcharge. When I extended my stay an extra night, rather than allowing me to remain in my $20 extra per night lakeside room as a courtesy, they reassigned me to a room overlooking the parking ramp. When I asked if they needed my room, I was told the hotel was nowhere near capacity. It can't be cost-effective to move guests from room-to-room just to save this $20. There are no amenities such as continental breakfast and no free wi-fi. I had to pay $8.95 for in-room wi-fi to check my email for 3 days. Although they did have liters of bottled water in the room for $3 a piece! Even though I was on my company's expense account, I just felt they nickel and dime you to death. Any hospitality or extra amenities one receives must be tied to the rate you pay for the room and who you book it through. Now I really know what it's like to be treated as a 2nd class citizen!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank PotatoMom
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Had to find a hotel close to St Mary's Hospital for the family (mom going in for surgery) - dad left with 2 young kids for a multiple night stay. Surgery was at the beginning of January, so having the skywalks for back and forth travel were a big plus (not having to get the kids bundled up to get into a cold car and then deal with parking at hospital, etc). Yes, it's a 15-20 minute walk from the Sheraton, but still worth it.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Didn't use the restaurant downstairs (because of the age of our kids), but looked nice and inviting. Room was clean & adequate (traditional room) on 5th floor. Would have preferred a chest of drawers in the room (as opposed to just a place for hanging clothes) for all the kid stuff (clothes, toys, etc). I would have to agree with a previous post about the air blowing (sometimes it felt cold, sometimes hot...but blowing right over the bed at night it seemed). Bathroom was spacious, a few more hooks to hang things would have been helpful (there was only one hook). Small pool was perfect for our 2 kids and dad to spend some time together. Beds were comfortable.

Unloaded in front of hotel (as previous post had mentioned too) when we got there and parked the car (never moving it again until we left).

Oh, and husband now wants to buy a new flat panel TV ;o)

Great Place for the money!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank northernmn2008
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Our party of four stayed from 12/30-1/1/08. the service was extraordinary. Chad and the front desk manager went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and fun! The shuttle service was greatly appreciated. We loved the lounge and fire place. Very comfortable.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My family just spent 4 days at this hotel. We stayed on the 6th floor, club level. Nice continental breakfast and good hors d'oeuvres in the evening. Comfortable beds. Friendly staff available for your every need. Our family's only complaint is with the HVAC system: difficult to regulate thermostat, so it was often either too cold or too hot; also it seemed like wind was blowing over you at night since the air came through the vent at high pressure; very dry too. I don't know what the hotel can do about the HVAC system, but the air was uncomfortably dry, windy, and not always a comfortable temperature. Pretty view of Lake Superior and the lift bridge from the lake side of the hotel. I would stay at this hotel again, but would try to figure out how to work the heating system better so that the air isn't blowing on me all night.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family