“Everything---was beautiful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Solglimt Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Solglimt Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Everything---was beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Brian and Mary Grover really know their business, and it shows. From the artfully prepared food (and I am diabetic, vegetarian, & allergic to eggs), to the thoughtfully appointed rooms, the art work, gardens and the gorgeous house itself; their experience and genuine enjoyment of people shows at every turn. I had a sense that they were glad to see us when my partner and I arrived from the Twin Cities. They were gracious and welcoming, and we engaged in conversation that drifted in and out of what we needed to know about the house and how things work, as if we were neighbors over for coffee for the 3rd time this week.

They were truly pleased when we liked the room, the bed, the Jacuzzi, the view, the art work, the... everything. I really believe that they are doing what they love to do and it made me feel welcomed and valued as a guest in their home. That is a rare commodity in the B&B world. All of that, plus the privacy and secluded "feel" to our room enabled me to deeply relax, and thoroughly enjoy our stay at Solglimt.

I have to say that Solglimt is at the top - my #1 - in Bed and Breakfast lodgings. The view from our room was stunning, the food was superb, and our hosts were invested in providing us with a great experience. It does not get better than this. Solglimt is a gem.

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the house as far as I could tell. All the guests seemed very satisfied...
Green Features: I was so happy to see how they had used so many "green" products, and even some of the bathroom "appliances" had been chosen to save water. They seemed to work hard to not only recycle, but to use less and create less waste. Bravo!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blake L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

On the peninsula of Lake Superior, about a block from the famous Aerial Lift Bridge and the Canal Park restaurant district, Solglimt B&B had everything we wanted in a great 3-day visit to Duluth.

"1000" great details. Almost any angle inside the home is art in itself. Sitting in the living room, you can see the multiple winding stairway to the second floor, with artful openings and interesting trim. When you enter the easy-combination back door, you walk by the semi-hidden Ky pond. The back yard not only overlooks the sand beach to Lake Superior, but it is a wonderful puzzle of brick and wooden walkways, snaking trough gardens and sculptures. (that leaves 997 detail I did not describe here). the bedroom had a blond wooden floor, an imaginative fan, a spectacular air-bubbler bath...(994 detail remaining...)

Brian and Mary created gourmet breakfasts every day (see the picture). Style and taste were at the top of any B&B we've visited. They were helpful and knowledgeable about the area after leading this B&B for decades.

And, many of our friends said, "Duluth?" they were picturing the 1980s dreary rust belt city. Dututh is now a restored city, great for tourists who like character as well as beauty.

Room Tip: They are all good! (Sorry, but you'll just have to pick the style you like best.)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had never been to Duluth and this was just a perfect place to stay. Right on the lake side with fantastic huge picture windows looking out to the lake. Park Point suite was in the new section with exceptional amenities. Modern and clean. The innkeepers have thought of so many nice touches here, drinks, snacks, DVD's, plenty of local info. Sharon was taking care of things while the owners were traveling and she was great. Breakfast both days was superb. The inn is in a great location just a block or so away from the aerial lift bridge. Very comfortable stay here!

Room Tip: Park Point Suite in the new addition was great! Note-there are four parking spaces for five rooms so...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

My fiancé and I had an overnight stay here for my birthday and it was perfect! It has lovely views of the lake with the sunrise, comfortable rooms with a lovely fireplace, and great Jacuzzi. We will most certainly be coming back in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stanley, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at many B and Bs but this one is over the top for many reasons. Mary greeted us at the door even before we knocked and then gave us a delightfully thorough tour. It was so interesting to see and hear how this place has matured and developed since Mary and Brian purchased it in1978. As we were the only guests on a weeknight, we were generously given the opportunity to upgrade to any of the suites we wanted. If you were to see the Lake Superior Suite, you would know why we selected it, though all the rooms would have suited us just fine. The location of this property is nothing short of spectacular. A sitting area in our room with super cozy swivel chairs looked out onto the frozen lake and we quickly set aside our plans to set off for dinner to just sit and watch the light and shadows forever changing on the frozen tundra. The lift bridge was also visible from our windows like a postcard and canal park with the shops, restaurants and ships ( in season) is only a block away. I feel like I'm running out of space and I still haven't mentioned the steam shower , fantastic breakfast, amazing plants, artwork and super pleasant hosts. We had avoided this place in the past as I used to live on Park Point and thought "been there done that" but I now know what a silly notion that was. Solglimt is a uniquely wonderful place and staying there will provide anyone with an unforgettable experience any time of year.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I brought my wife here to celebrate her January birthday and it was perfect! We have been to several B&Bs over the last 14 years, one several times and several once only - we plan to come back to Solglimt! The accommodations were spacious, comfortable and we felt completely at home. Brian and Mary provided us with delicious gourmet breakfasts and they were wonderful hosts with tips for things to see and do and they had good local dining advice. The location is fantastic for watching the ever-changing scenery on Lake Superior, especially at sunrise. It is in walking distance to shopping, dining, the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center and the Lakewalk area just across the Aerial Lift Bridge. We had good timing on the second day there, as we caught the lift bridge going up and watched all of the excitement as the Arthur M. Anderson Cargo Ship passed through the canal. I asked Mary to have Roses in the room for my wife, and she was happy to do that for me. My wife and I had a great time at Solglimt and in Duluth and look forward to our next stay with Brian and Mary.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Aerial Bridge Suite which was fantastic - very comfortable bed, relaxing air jet tu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brianinlakeelmo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had an excellent time over the weekend we stayed here. We were having our last "getaway" before our 3rd child is born. Truly relaxing. Room was upgraded! Food was very delicious. We left feeling refreshed. We stayed in the Lake Superior Suite - great view! Hope to be back someday.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with a view - won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple