Solglimt Bed & Breakfast
Park Point Marina Inn(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$124
$120
Comfort Inn West(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$106
Comfort Suites Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$134
$139
$118
Sheraton.com
$139
$123
Country Inn
Edgewater Hotel & Waterpark(Duluth)
$118
$94
The Inn on Lake Superior(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$170
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$112
Official Hotel
South Pier Inn on the Canal(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$141
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
$169
Hotels.com
All reviewsthe aerial lift bridgesnacks and beveragescanal parklake superior shorelinegreat hostspicture windowother guestsenjoy the viewore boatsa king size bedwalking distancegreat roombrianmaryloftkandinskyinnkeepers
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed three nights at Solglimt in July. My husband had business in Duluth and I came along with him for a mini vacation in an area where we had never visited. Solglimt came highly recommended from a business acquaintance and we couldn't have been happier.

We stayed in the Lake Superior Room with its gorgeous view of Lake Superior. We were initially a little concerned about noise as we were above the kitchen . . . but we never heard a peep. Mary and Brian have innkeeping down to a science! They clearly strive for perfection and they come close to achieving it. Breakfast each morning was fabulous. If we had stayed any longer I might have had to ask that my courses be cut down to one instead of three. Both innkeepers were always around and even volunteered to make dinner reservations for us. (I do wonder what happens when they go on vacation and hire an inn "sitter." It's probably fine but couldn't be the same as having Brian and Mary.)

We also thoroughly enjoyed the people we met at breakfast. For Atlantans who had never set foot in Minnesota, this was a great opportunity for a local "slice of life." We'd go back to Duluth! Loved the drive up the North Shore, the tour of Glensheen, and of course watching the bridge and boats on the canal. We'll definitely take a look at the webcam on the Solglimt deck this winter to see how the lake looks in a very different season. Our July weather was amazing.

Bottom line, if you like to meet people and want a fabulous B & B experience, you can't go wrong with Solglimt.

Room Tip: Lake Superior Room has beautiful view and is very quiet. No bathtub or fireplace though so if you're looking for those, you might want to try one of the newer rooms in the other wing.
Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I planned a trip to Duluth from the Twin Cities to see Dylan. I decided that we would stay at a B&B, this trip up north. I also wanted to stay close to the venue, which meant somewhere around Canal Park. I was researching to see what I could find and I pulled up Solglimt. I called and lucky enough, the Kaminsky Loft was available for the two nights we were hoping for.
Well, what can I say? The loft was awesome, even though it didn't face the lake. It worked out just perfectly for us. The house itself was lovely, large, welcoming. The grounds were expansive and tri level, with lake access. There were snacks galore and breakfasts that were scrumptous to eat and beautiful to look at. It really is a "family affair" with Brian and Mary; both of them share in the overall guest experience.
There truly is no reason for us - or you - to look further when wanting to have a "special" trip up north.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. For most people, the rooms facing the lake are the 'hot' ones but we fully enjoyed the loft.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Loved the Soglimt. The location is very convenient to restaurants and activities. The breakfast on the 2 days we were there was amazing each day. The hosts, Brian and Mary are very generous with water, sodas cookies and snacks available gratis. the room we were in was so comfortable, quiet and homey. We'll be back to the Soglimt!

Room Tip: Love the modern Scandinavian design in the Aeriel bridge suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently stayed for 2 nights at Solglimt and I could not have been more pleased with our visit. Mary & Brian greeted us when we arrived and made us feel completely at home. The first night we stayed in Kandinsky's Loft and that room was very fun, with artistic touches in every corner of the room. One note about the Loft is that the bed is a Double, not a Queen or King like the other rooms.

The second night we stayed in the Lake Superior Room and that was magnificent. Honestly, we could have sat and watched the Lake out of the huge bay windows for hours. The name of the house, Solglimt, comes from the Danish word for the morning light shining on the water. When we woke up Sunday morning, we did see solglimt on the Lake and it felt very special.

Mary is an excellent chef and the food she prepared was magnificent. Examples of the home made breakfast we were served included blueberry-peach gallette (type of flatbread), rhubarb scones and wild rice quiche.

I cannot recommend this bed & breakfast highly enough, it is a place I know we will be visiting many times in the future

Room Tip: The Lake Superior room has an unbelievable view of the Lake. Try to get it if at all possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markabaddon
Solglimt, Owner at Solglimt Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We enjoyed meeting you and visiting with you. Glad you enjoyed our breakfasts. It was so good you could move into the the Lake Superior Suite for your second night. Our bed in the Loft is actually a queen bed not a double. The Loft room and the Park Point Suites are both queen beds. We look forward to your next visit!!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently spent three night at Solglimt Lakeshore B and B. We found the location excellent as I was attending a quilting convention and my husband had to stay "home" through the day. WiFi was excellent, something my husband needed as he worked from Duluth during our stay. It was just a couple of minutes walk into town and restaurants. Make sure you travel beyond the B and B to the end of the island - an entire different world down there.

Room Tip: We were on the street side and it was a bit noisy, but once you closed the windows tight, not too bad.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joniefitz4

It was so fun having you here during the quilting convention!! Your work is just beautiful!! As soon as the winter sets in I am going to give it a try. You inspired me with the modern designs and colors of your pieces. Thank You for staying with us and your kind words.