“We will definitely return here.”

Black Woods Grill & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Woods Grill & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 287 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is fine dining for everyone. A place where you'll find a favorite dish and a dining experience that fits your personality. All Black Woods restaurants feature a full bar and Happy Hour specials. Visit us in Duluth, Proctor or Two Harbors.
Reviewed July 17, 2016

When I go to Duluth I really like to eat fresh fish from the lake. This restaurant has two choices. I had the Superior whitefish, served with mashed baby reds and asparagus, topped with lemon butter sauce with capers. It was simple, delicious and absolutely one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The staff was very friendly, the music unintrusive and pleasant and the food excellent!

Date of visit: July 2016
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Thank you for this glowing review of our Black Woods on London Road! It is such a great idea to enjoy our local seafood from Lake Superior when you are dining in Duluth - this is the perfect way to "eat like the locals" at our restaurant :-). We are delighted to read that our Lake Superior Whitefish - yum, so delicious - paired with our atmosphere and service made for a five star evening. We hope you will be back to dine with us again soon, and thank you for choosing Black Woods for your business!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

Perfect meal with salmon on cedar and Brussel sprout side and a pasta santini for my wife. Mad Men Bourbon and Life Breeze drinks were wonderful. Waiter was helpful, music was relaxing, and the view of Superior is a bonus.

Date of visit: July 2016
Katie M, Marketing Director at Black Woods Grill & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2016

Michael, thank you for choosing to dine at Black Woods in Duluth and taking the time to write a five star review about it! Mhmm.. our Planked Salmon with a side of brussel sprouts and our Pasta Santino are all delicious choices! Paired with a Mad Men Bourbon and a Life Breeze, it makes for a wonderful dinner out! We hope you and your wife will be back in to dine with us again soon - thank you for your continued business!

Reviewed July 13, 2016

One of us had the Whitefish and the other the Rainbow Trout. We were very happy with our choices, served with delicious mashed red potatoes. We have never been disappointed in a meal at Black Woods. We love their meatloaf. It's the best anywhere, anytime, including home, one of our favorites for lunch.

Date of visit: July 2016
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Jean, thank you so much for your review of our restaurant! "It's the best anywhere, anytime, including home, one of our favorites for lunch." WOW - thank you so much for your kind words and continued business to our locally-owned restaurant. We truly value and appreciate our guests and their business. We look forward to the next time you will be in to dine with us or just pick up to enjoy at home - cheers to you Jean!

Reviewed July 12, 2016

While traveling with a group, we stopped by on a whim for lunch after a morning at the waterpark down the street. We couldn't have stumbled onto a better lunch if we had tried. I throughly enjoyed it.

We had children with us, ranging from toddlers to grade-schoolers. I was concerned they would act up due to a little longer wait that you would often experience at a nicer restaurant, but the coloring pages helped. I was also pleased with the kids menu. It included several of the worn-out "kid food" staples I usually try to steer my kids away from, but there were a lot of options for sides, drinks, and desserts at a pretty good value. I made an exception and ordered from the kids menu. When the meals came, I was surprised at how delicious they looked.

I enjoyed a grilled caprese sandwich with a side of coleslaw. I don't typically search for vegetarian dishes on a menu, but this sounded too good to pass up. As I ate it, I silently congratulated myself on making such a good choice.

I was pleased to hear the coleslaw wasn't the traditional, creamy kind you find everywhere. It was spicy with red onions and red cabbage. If it would've been acceptable, I might have licked the bowl when I was finished. I'm going to have to hunt online for a similar recipe.

Next time I find myself in Duluth, this restaurant will be on my list of places to visit. And it won't be difficult to find. Drive north on I-35 until it ends; take a left.

Date of visit: July 2016

"We couldn't have stumbled onto a better lunch if we had tried" - thank you for this glowing, five star review of our restaurant in Duluth, Jessica! We loved reading your review - "As I ate it, I silently congratulated myself on making such a good choice" - we are so happy that you loved your Caprese Sandwich with our Black Woods Coleslaw and that all of the kids enjoyed their meals as well! :-) We are so excited that you will be back next time you are visiting Duluth, thank you for your continued business Jessica! Safe travels back home!

Reviewed July 12, 2016

This is one of those go-to places for us in Duluth. The atmosphere is old-wood, supper club. It's a little dark in the bar and interior dining rooms, but ask for window seating and you'll find a fantastic view of Lake Superior. The one draw to the bar, however, is the working model train, winding around the room, past various North Shore attractions. The food and drinks at Black Woods are superb. The portions are large and the presentation is delightful. There is lots of variety, so everyone will find something to love.

Date of visit: July 2016

"A Go-To Place in Duluth" - thank you for this wonderful review! We are so happy that our locally-owned restaurant has become a "must- stop" at in Duluth for you and that you enjoy our atmosphere, views of Lake Superior, food, and drinks :-). We greatly appreciate your business to our Black Woods restaurant and hope to see you back in again soon!