“Not great, not good”

Ranked #43 of 261 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A visit to this exciting Tex Mex atmosphere isn't dangerous, but it's a whole lot spicier than your everyday life. It's not too hot, mind ya, it's just full of flavor! Little Angie's Cantina is the kind of place where the food is so fresh it's sizzling at your table. Original artifacts from the Southwest create a real wild West setting right here in the Midwest. At Little Angie's it's okay to laugh out loud and fill up on our fresh homemade salsa and corn tortilla chips. Signature items include: sizzling hot fajitas on cast iron skillets; fresh made burritos, enchiladas, and chimichangas all served with a varieties of moles and sauces, distinctly Little Angie's recipes; a wall of tequila and hundreds of combinations of house-specialty margaritas and mojitos. Little Angie's is the place to enjoy a little more than you ought to. Break the rules, so to speak. Seasonal deck dining overlooking beautiful Lake Superior in Canal Park, Minnesota.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were getting our fill of normal food in the northwoods (walleye, steaks, more walleye), so decided to go Mexican while in the Canal Park area. It looks like a very nice place, and the folks are very nice as they seat you and wait on you. But, they charge for the chips and salsa, which might be OK if they were great chips and salsa. But, I have had better chips out of a bag, and the salsa was tasteless. Just tasted like a pile of chopped hothouse tomatoes. The margaritas were OK, but not strong. And, they don't put the prices of the margaritas in the menu. Our waitress could only tell us the price when we asked about a specific flavor/size combination. Just seemed like they forgot to pull out any spices or seasonings. Our fajitas were OK. One of our party got a burrito that he said was fair, but not exciting. The black beans were the only item with any spice or flavor. We really enjoyed them, and the service was very good. Too bad the food was not, as it has the makings of a great location and has good atmosphere. Bottom line: you have better choices in the area, unless you like bland food.

There are newer reviews for Little Angie's Cantina And Grill

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This restaurant was terrible. I got the wild rice shrimp enchiladas with the cilantro garlic sauce. Sounds yummy right? Not to much. The rice wasn't cooked all the way and was crunchy. The sauce didn't taste like cilantro or garlic. It came with a side of Saffron rice and refried beans. I've never had saffron rice before, but this was awful. It tasted like something you shouldn't be eating. The beans were also overcooked and crunchy instead of creamy. All I ate was their salsa, chips and the few shrimp that were in my tortillas. It was upsetting because it was very expensive. I've had Mexican food at half the price and twice the flavor. Very disappointing.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Since Canal park got touristy, the food joints do not have to cater to a regular crowd. We have eaten there on and off thru the years but after our last meal have sworn off the place. My beef enchiladas came out minutes after I ordered-meaning not fresh. The beef was VERY salty. My wife, who had a taco salad, complained that the shell was stale. Overpriced and poor quality.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

After a long afternoon of watching ships and walking around Canal Park and doing some shopping, the sight of Little Angie's was just what we wanted; a cold Margarita and an appetizer to get us through until dinner.

As an appetizer, we just decided on chips and salsa and guacamole. Angie's offers a salsa sampler with 3 different salsas and add to that the house salsa and an order of guacamole. Even as I write this, my mouth savors the idea of the idea of chips, guac, salsa, and margaritas. I can just taste the salt and the spice.

The only problem was that the entire order was really bad, espcially for this being a Mexican / Tex-Mex style restaurant. The chips were like a stale bag of Old Dutch tortillas and none of the salsas had any taste to them at all. The guacamole seemed like it was purchased pre-made.

Maybe I'm a salsa snob, but what I wouldn't have given at the moment for even a bag of restaurant style Tostitos and a jar of grocery store salsa.

My margarita was good and the service was absolutely fine, and perhaps the rest of the menu was good. But, if you can't get chips and salsa right, it doesn't say much about the rest of the menu.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I really want to like this place. We seem to find ourselves there every time we visit Duluth. The atmosphere is nice. But the food just doesn't cut it. Pale imitation of mexican cuisine.