“Yummy!!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Great ambiance, great wine. There is new menu and I am trying to work my way through it. I just had the grouper special last night for dinner and WOW! It was amazing. Can't wait to go back!!!

1  Thank Jennifer B
There are newer reviews for New Scenic Cafe

Reviewed August 26, 2014

It was such a pleasure to dine at New Scenic Cafe. From start to finish, the service and food was one of the best dining experiences.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

We were on our way back down from a trip up to Grand Marais and had found this restaurant on Tripadvisor so decided to give it a go. It all started really well - our glasses of wine were really nice and the starter we chose to share (tacos with tuna and avocado) was substantial and delicious. It was when our entrees arrived that it all went wrong. My wife ordered a scallop dish and when it came it looked like a small appetiser - but it really was the entrée. I chose the ribeye "special" which sounded wonderful with fois gras butter and a glaze and nice veggies. The steak was tasteless and tough, the white asparagus looked and tasted like string. What an awful disappointment. We should have sent them back but decided to just cut our losses and go. Having checked other reviews it seems that their "specials" have been the same for years. A bad case of style over substance I'm afraid.

1  Thank pacuthbertson
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Lunch (& dinner because the 4 of us were so full!) at New Scenic Cafe along the North Shore of Lake Superior between Duluth and Two Harbors. A cozy building nestled behind a gorgeous garden; filled with herbs, vegetables and fragrant flowers. We started with seared halloumi cheese covered with berries, stone fruit, mint, basil and agave nectar. Shared the pickled beets, with goat cheese mousse, heirloom carrots, slivers of radishes, lemongrass, crushed pistachios in a very light vinaigrette. Shared the scrumptious baby kale salad with shaved Romano cheese, candied pepitas, pine nuts in a very light meyer lemon vinaigrette. Also had the tuna tacos and the asparagus & egg sandwich on ciabatta with gruyere, and frisée lemon basil aioli.
Highly recommend, best, fresh, organic vegetables anywhere! Served local foods with an artisan's expressive flair in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. Each dish was a culinary success!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I had a very good dinner at New Scenic Cafe last week with some family members who live in the area. We were there on a Wednesday evening, when wine is 1/2 price. We had a reservation, which was good since they were very busy. It was a lovely evening, and when we arrived, we spent some time outside marveling at the great view of Lake Superior. I was recently given a copy of the proprietor/Chef's new cookbook, so I had in mind a few dishes to try after reading the cookbook. I was impressed with the farm to table concept and sourcing local ingredients as much as possible. The fig and blue cheese appetizer was a taste delight. Five of us shared the appetizer, enough for a good taste for all. The pistachio crusted goat cheese salad was very good, and also a portion large enough for two to share, with the rest of us getting a taste. The beet salad was very good, but a very small portion, enough for two of us to get a taste. My husband, who is a vegetarian, ordered a tempeh Reuben and the hearty portion, great flavor made him a happy camper. I ordered a smoked salmon entree, which was very good, but also on the lighter side. Others in our group ordered pork and steak entrees and were delighted with their dinners. We all ordered different desserts and shared tastes. Each and every one was excellent. Overall, a very good dining experience in a lovely setting. Worth the splurge, since it is a bit pricey.