“Bad experience”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Called for a table before arriving and only waited 15 minutes to be seated. Waited 25 minutes to order, and after another 25 minute wait we were told they were out of the soup we had ordered. We canceled the soup and requested they bring the entres. After another wait we were told they lost our order. They gave us gift certificates, but since I live in illinois I cannot use it. Very ad experience.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We like to make a stop every once in a while and its definitely a treat. I have enjoyed many different dishes and the menu changes with the seasons so its fun. One of the nicest surprises to the end of our meal was when I had a piece of raspberry pie. It was over the top! Im sure there was over a pint of raspberries just in my slice. Im a baker, so I appreciate quality baking so go ahead and splurge, its worth the calories.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had dinner at the New Scenic Café on a Sunday night in May. Arriving at 6:30pm without a reservation, we were concerned that we might have to wait to get a table when we saw the packed parking lot. But as fate would have it, there was a lone 2-top beckoning!

We had heard lots of good things about the New Scenic Café, but we weren't prepared for it to be THIS SPECIAL! WOW!

My wife started with the Roast Beets with melted goat cheese and lovely, fresh greens. Really Great! I started with the French Onion Soup which was all gooie and great, and super charged with a titch of fennel.

For the mains, my wife went with the Grilled Pheasant Breast which was coated in maple syrup. It was served on a Brioche soaked in Truffled Green Peas & Chives sauce. Delicous!

I had the Lamb Meatloaf which was spectacular! Complimented with the Truffled Green Peas & Chives sauce, roasted red potatoes, sweet potato, and carrots, it was Minnesota Comfort Food made with a Wow factor!

We washed it all down with a 1/2 bottle of NV Laurent-Perrier Brut - I love that restaurants are carrying more 1/2 bottles of bubbly!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We took the whole family: kids 8-12, our parents in their 60's, for a total of 10 people with various tastes for our Mother's Day meal. I would say that every single dish was wonderful except Mom felt hers was so-so. I had the Sea Bass, cooked perfectly with Asian leaning flavors did what one dreams of...enhanced all the natural goodness of a great filet. I also really enjoyed the seaweed greens underneath, loved the fresh chewiness and I ate every tiny bit. My sister had the Lobster Bisque and loved it, two of us had the land and sea (my husband shared a taste, again perfectly done). I particularly enjoyed having less common flavors for more common proteins, and I also liked the more subtle touch on flavors. I am sure the goal was to enhance the natural food, but sometimes that is a fine line! After the meal we discussed this, as our family relies a bit heavily on salt as a rule. I think that is why my Mom was only lukewarm on her Scampi dish; she is used to strong garlic, not the kind of seasoning touch that lets other flavors play. I thought it was wonderful to be able to taste the delicate puree in her dish too! The kids are typically easy to please, and no exception here; they loved the sloppy joes and the pizza. I liked the fresh fruit on their plates! The kids' meals were reasonable, ours were a bit more than expected (35-50 per plate), but well worth the price.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stopping at the Scenic on the way to the NorthShore has always been a special treat. Now that I live in Duluth, I'll get to visit more often.

The food is always fresh and interesting, the service is helpful and professional. Love the view and the gardens.

And, if you are headed up the Shore for a little stay, you can always hope for a pie "to go."

Been to New Scenic Cafe? Share your experiences!