“Worth the drive and wait” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Scenic Cafe

New Scenic Cafe
Ranked #3 of 252 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wisconsin
“Worth the drive and wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

went here on a Friday night, after a friends recommendation. And I quote her..."RUN here, do not walk!"
And she was right. Absolutely great and innovative menu.

Needed to wait 30 minutes to be seated, so we sipped on wine, as we sat on the adirondack chairs, in the flower garden. Perfect weather...view of the traffic drive by, in front of the lake front.

Appetizer - Fried wonton seafood/avocado tacos, with slaw on the side.
Entrees: duck breast and sea scallops...each were wonderful!
Raspberry/rhubarb pie...good dessert to go:)

Staff was friendly, ambiance great, customers were friendly, and full of suggestions for the area.

Minneapolis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A gem along the North Shore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We are always happy with the New Scenic Cafe. We first ate there over three years ago, in the summertime - this was our fourth visit back (in September) and it seems each time the food is equally impressive.
I can recall that during our first visit (June), the beet salad and halibut that I ordered were delicious. Every bit as tasty as a piece of fish the Oceannaire would serve. On this visit, I ordered the artic char - it was absolutely perfect. Delicate, flavorful, cooked perfectly. It was served with very yummy deep fried onion bits with beets and asparagus flan. While I admire the creativity with the flan, it was not my favorite taste (and I am an asparagus fan). For his entree, my boyfriend ordered the lamb meatloaf, served with peas and a bechamel sauce. I don't eat beef, pork, chicken, etc. (just fish and limited seafood), did dip my fork in the bechamel, which was amazingly rich and delicious.
We also ordered the beet salad - as good as I remembered from previous visits, although prepared differently. This time, instead of crumbles of goat cheese, the goat cheese was formed into a "patty" shape, covered with a coating of finely chopped nuts and was warm. It was served with a handful of micro greens, which seemed heavy on the arugula (yum!).
I save the appetizer review for last, because it was the weakest part of the meal. We ordered seared scallops in a vinaigrette with orange segments. The flavor itself was very good and I realize scallops are very, very touchy in terms of cooking - but my scallop (my boyfriend did not have this issue with his) was somewhat undercooked, slightly cool in the center still - and I do not enjoy raw scallops (in fact, when I tried scallops at a sushi restaurant, I couldn't finish them!).
That said, the scallop would not cause me to rate this restaurant less than five stars. I think it is a wonderful addition to Duluth's culinary choices and one Duluth's best hands down. The waitress was attentive and patient in answering several questions we had about the menu and ingredients. We had reservations for 9:00 and even though we were informed they were running about 10 - 15 minutes behind, we were promptly asked about a glass of wine, and seated within 5 minutes of arriving. I also love the ambiance inside. Wood walls and pictures/decorations scattered throughout give the restaurant a very woodsy/cabin-y feel. It is warmly lit and very cozy. The food is somewhat pricey - but worth it due to the care in preparation and the quality ingredients.

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys food prepared by individuals who clearly care about quality, creativity and skill - a true dining experience in an unexpected place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Good food, Unattentive service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although the food was good, the waiter was Unattentive and indifferent to our party of 8. Until he required a 20% gratituity, for which I have no problems paying for with good to excellent service, but not for a long wait, no drink refills, not clearing any dirty plates and poor attitude.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
central Canada
“Wow! Shockingly good food, deceptively simple exterior”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I'm usually suspicious of restaurants with names that draw attention to the obvious (Scenic...overlooking lake Superior...duh!). I had heard that the New (in what sense I wondered?) Scenic had good food, but I was unprepared for how good it truly was, and pleasantly suprised by the fact that there does indeed seem to be a lovely view from virtually every seat in the house.

Not only is the food good, it's inventive, fresh, and fantastic value. My companion and I shared a house made pate (chicken and duck) that came with a house made mustard which was so good I would have purchased a vat of the stuff if it had been available. I had an appetizer for my 'main'.....ahi tuna 'tacos' that came with a side of coleslaw unlike any I've ever had (delicous, asian style peanutty flavour). I broke my no-dessert rule to try the cherry cheesecake. It was a heavenly, light, vertical creation with a dark chocolate base (more cake than traditional cookie style). The cherries in question were not mere topping but infused into the cheesecake, giving not only a decadent flavour but also a beautiful colour. There was a thyme 'coulis' / sauce? ...words fail...that was spot-on-perfection. And the final surprise...deep inside the cheesecake tower was a chocolate enrobed cherry. All in all a memorable finish to the meal...an archaelogical adventure as well as a sublime dessert.

My companion picked the pistachio encrusted walleye sandwich, and a chocolate torte ( I think?). He finished both with such speed I didn't get a taste and barely got a look. To be fair, I was so wrapped up in my own meal I didn't really notice that he didn't offer me a taste, as he normally would.

If you're in Duluth area...drive OUT of the city and up the north shore. You will love the New Scenic Cafe for the food and the scenery...and be amazed at the prices. I was frankly shocked at how inexpensive our meal was.

Visited September 2012
mpls, MN
“A Duluth Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We travel to the north shore of Lake Superior two to three times a year and always stop at the New Scenic Cafe. We will stop for lunch or dinner depending on our departure time from the cities, the food has never disappointed. The wait staff is always friendly and helpful. Most meals have been the specials of the day. Relax outside enjoying a glass of wine watching the waves if there is a short wait.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank EatNortheast

Been to New Scenic Cafe? Share your experiences!