“Surprising disappointment!”

Pickwick Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pickwick Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 264 Restaurants in Duluth
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Pickwick is Duluth's landmark restaurant situated on the shore of Lake Superior. Best known for its steaks and seafood from the only indoor charcoal grill in the area. There are also great burgers and sandwiches for under $12. The banquet room accommodates up to 50 people and offers privacy for business or family occasions. The bar has been restored to its 1940 layout offering an energetic atmosphere for all ages. Two happy hours - before dinner and late night - keep the bar hopping from 4am until close. The dining rooms bring back the history of the Pickwick which has been operating since 1914. Fine dining is at its best with our excellent serving staff along with the creations of Chef Jake Sutula. Reservations are accepted. Come see why the Pickwick has been Duluth's place to be for nearly a century!
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have dined at Pickwick on a number of occasions since 1986 while in Duluth on business or vacation trips. It has been our favorite and the food has always been excellent. However, our visit last week was a surprising disappointment. We both decided to have the prime rib which is their special on Friday and Saturday evenings. The sides (whole, young green beans, smoked gouda mashed potatoes, onion rings and bread) and glasses of Milbrandt Merlot were all very good. But, the prime rib was not served medium rare as requested and was very tough!
Our server, Julie, was very pleasant, accommodating and attentive. We had a window table with a great view of Lake Superior at sunset. It was a little noisy, but we love the ambiance of the restaurant. We hope that our entree on this visit is not reflective of the balance of the food now being served at Pickwick and probably will give it one more chance on our next trip to Duluth.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Delicious food! The waiter was very good. He was very helpful with my young kids. We were in "joes room" and had the room all to ourselves, just the 6 of us. The room was beautiful and the view was even more beautiful. Everything on the menu looked super and i would love to go there again soon to try another menu item. I enjoyed the entire dining experience which is hard to say when you dine out with three young children! I will be taking my family here again. We also ate here with friends and at a work party. Everytime the food and service was exceptional.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Pickwick Restaurant is an old favorite of mine. I have fond memories of lunch at The Pickwick as a little girl with my parents and their friends. I always had chicken dumpling soup and a little bottle of Coca Cola. They always ordered onion rings. And everything was always delicious! And then I grew up and The Pickwick became the place I dined at with my spouse, but only for very special occasions due to the cost. Before today, the last time I dined at The Pickwick was for their Easter Buffet many years ago.

I had lunch at The Pickwick today and it looks amazing -- the new owners did a great job of brightening the place up while keeping the great atmosphere that The Pickwick has been known for since the early 1900s. But the food.... the food was not good.

My lunch date had the Pub Burger and Fries for $10. She is a burger lover and only ate half of her burger because she didn't really like it. I had the French Onion Soup for $8.50. Yes, $8.50 for a crock of French Onion Soup. I can tell you that it most certainly was NOT $8.50 good. It had something in it that instantly gave me a sore throat, possibly balsamic or something along those lines. The croutons immediately broke down to mush in the soup, giving it the most horrible consistency. We shared a half-order of onion rings for $7 and the onion rings were as awesome as I remember and our serving was very generous. Our total bill for a burger and fries, french onion soup, half an order of onion rings, and two tap sodas was like $34.50, which I think is way too steep for lunch, even if we would have loved the food.

With all this being said, the service and atmosphere was fabulous, so I gave it a "poor" rating instead of "terrible."

1  Thank StormyMN
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went here after not being able to get seated for over an hour at Fitger's. The food was served hot and fresh. The Pretzel sticks were really good, lighter than a regular pretzel. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. We sat in the dining area and it was easy to visit and looked like there would be a nice view of the lake if it was daylight.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed the night in Duluth and while riding around the city looking for a place to dine we came accross Pickwick. We were greeted and escorted to a table beside a window with a beautiful view of the lake. Our server was prompt and made great recommrndations. I ordered the Jack Daniels pork chops. Our server returned shortly after we ordered and advised that they were out of the Jack Daniels marinade. I asked that their chef use his imagination for seasoning the chops.
The chops came and were seasoned and cooked to perfection. The food is cooked over charcoal and has wonderful flavour.
The only draw back to this restaurant is the slight odor of "old building".
We recommend this restaurant for its service and food.

1  Thank dansyla

Been to Pickwick Restaurant? Share your experiences!