“Mediocre Greasy Food”

Ranked #14 of 258 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Since 1976 Grandma’s Saloon & Grill has been a casual but lively adventure to the past where value and customer service are at the center of everything we do. You’re surrounded by authentic antiques, collectibles, and an eager staff ready and willing to please. The award winning food includes overstuffed sandwiches and burgers; USDA choice steaks; house specialty pasta and wild rice dishes; appetizers include nationally recognized homemade onion rings, chicken wings, and stuffed mushrooms. It’s an eyeful as well as a mouthful. The legacy of customer satisfaction has been handed down by the Italian immigrant who started it all, “Grandma” Rosa Brochi. Everything she did in her early boarding house business included “100% customer satisfaction,” words that we still live by today. Grandma’s Saloon & Grill is real history, real antiques, real service, and really good food! A dining experience of legendary indulgence. The original Grandma’s Saloon & Grill is located at the foot of the historic Aerial Lift Bridge, at the tip of Lake Superior. Seasonal deck dining and the new rooftop lounge includes this spectacular view.
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Mediocre Greasy Food”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was extremely disappointed with the caliber of food served at Grandma's, I was expecting something much better. We ordered a starter "wings and rings" and out of the kitchen came this extremely greasy plate of what were supposed to be "dry rubbed" wings however they were deep fried battered wings dripping with grease and the same for the onion rings. The grease was an odd colour and was pooled on the plate. I then asked if they could substitute the swiss cheese on the Monte Christo sandwich and I was told that they were already put together, so that means they certainly aren't made "fresh". I decided not to order it however my husband did and out of the kitchen came this blackened looking deep fried sandwich again dripping in grease. I personally would have sent it back, it was so gross looking. Luckily I ordered the shaved beef on a bun with fried green pepper, mushroom and onions and actually it wasn't half bad except it too was a little greasy. I must admit the service was good, however I honestly will not go back.

• Visited March 2013

Chipley, Florida
“fun place”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

food was great,service was great.there was nothing about this place i didnt like it sits right on lake sup and what a great place get ready to freeze your buns off though....

Visited March 2012
Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States
“Monte Cristo”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the best place I have ever had this amazing meal. I see monte cristo on other menus and it has something to do with friench toast... this triple decker deliciousness is nothing like that. It's breaded and deep fried and too good to share.The fruit dip is excellent to dip your fries into. Not a healthy meal, no, but a wonderful one.

• Visited July 2012
“Good for a group”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went with our hockey team. Food is not overly healthy, but with 25 people there was plenty of room.

Visited January 2013
Rochester, New York
“Very very good Walleye.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had the walleye sandwich and my wife had the pan-fried walleye. Hers was pan fried and mine deep fried. Very large portions served piping hot and stayed hot through the entire dinner. Wonder how they do that? Instead of the potatoes I had onion rings and they were super sized and super good. Waiter was college student and he worked hard to be sure we were happy. i go to Duluth a lot and have always avoided Grandma's because I thought it was a typical greasy sports bar kind of place, but on the way up to Duluth they had a billboard with the walleye sandwich featured and it made my mouth water. So, I thought, let's give it a try. Glad we did. They are remodeling but open throughout the project. Go if you want fun and good bar food.. Prices were right too.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Grandma's Saloon & Grill? Share your experiences!