“Elk & Bison On Menu”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Rockford, IL
“Elk & Bison On Menu”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Different , menu, food was good, not great. Wine is expensive, limited beer selection, waitress looked like she was going thru the motions. Wanted to be somewhere else? My local guests love this place but I would rather go to Fitger's.

• Visited March 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Enjoyed every bite!!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

While on a weekend getaway with friends in Duluth, my husband chose this restaurant for us to check out and try for dinner. WOW, we could not have found a better place! We were blown away by the variety on the menu and the unique pairings of ingredients for each dish. The majority of our conversation was discussing how flavorful the food. Each item we ordered was phenomenal and fresh. The service was friendly and laid back. The restaurant was quaint and cozy. It was my birthday that night, so they even allowed me to pick off the dessert menu...on the house! The prices were VERY reasonable for the quality and quantity of food we received. This place is truly a gem and worth the visit. We all live in Minneapolis and talked about driving back next month just to enjoy another meal! I highly recommend Lake Avenue Cafe. You will not be disappointed! Did I also mention that the cocktails are amazing?

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KBTravels07
Zürich
“Our favorite restaurant in the world, literally.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We eat at the Lake Avenue Cafe every time we go to Duluth. Actually, we go to Duluth just to eat at the Lake Avenue Cafe. We recently moved overseas and we're planning a trip to the LAC when we come back to the States next time.

Food is imaginative without being pretentious, and we have never, ever had anything less than phenomenal. The owner is really cool, and very appreciative of loyalty. Awesome cocktail/beer selection, too. And for being right in the middle of Canal Park, it's neither touristy nor too let's-see-how-hip-and-local-and-organic-we-can-be. Highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend!

• Visited May 2012
“Going back today!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were just there 4 days ago and we are going back tonight! We went for lunch and there was zero wait, the waitress was helpful and took good care of us.

I ordered the L.A. Grilled cheese- caramelized onions, telegio cheese, apple butter and bacon! It ws very good! Love the combination of sweet and salty! My husband got the brisket ravioli, he also said it was amazing! I had a bite and would have to agree- especially the sweet sauce drizzled under the raviolis! Wow!

It was a little spendy- $40 including tip, but it is sooo worth not having to eat at another boring dirty restaurant! We are so sick of all the typical northern bar/greasy 'food' that is everywhere else.

This probably isn't 'the best food of my life' but OH MY GOSH it is sooooo much better than any of the other restaurants in Canal Park!

Gulf Breeze, Florida
“Eclectic and good- slow service.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have eaten here 4 times (for lunch) and found the quality of food decent (for the price). The wait service can vary- depending on which knuckle-headed college student you get as a waitress. ( Realize- ALL restaurants in Canal Park have bone-head college waiters/waitresses.) Food consistency is good. Service is slow- but food makes up for it.

Decor is intriguing; acoustics are loud (during busy periods) due to the ceiling configuration and tile flooring. The menu isn't esp child friendly- which doesn't bother me. Menu IS vegetarian friendly- a rarity in Canal Park.

Compared to the other Canal Park restaurants- Bellisio's, Little Angies, Grandma's, Red Lobster, Green Mill, ETC- Lake Av Cafe is a culinary gem! Would be a great place to have a romantic dinner with someone who appreciates quality over quantity.

Suggestions?? Whitefish Sandwich, Coq Au Vin, ALL SALADS, Soups, Etc.

• Visited November 2012

Been to Lake Avenue Cafe? Share your experiences!