“Unique”

Ranked #2 of 17 Coffee & Tea in Duluth
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: For over 20 years, the Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe has been serving great food to our community in a friendly, welcoming environment. Our customers appreciate our partnerships with local vendors and our use of earth-friendly products. We are proud to say that our breakfast, lunch, and bakery items are prepared from scratch in our kitchen and bakery. The Grace also serves as a coffee shop, where folks can get their caffeine fix from organic coffee products provided by local vendors. Finally, we are heavily involved in our community and local philanthropy. The Grace is a gathering place and performance venue for local musicians, artists, and community groups. We are a warm and welcoming place for all.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This little eatery is a step back in time. Homemade breads, great sandwiches and speciality coffees. Breakfast is also a great experience. Daily menu specials. A must for breakfast or lunch.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We shared a pastrami sandwich. The bread was very good but we find the Artisan bread crusts a bit too tough and chewy to be easily eaten as sandwich bread. (Unfortunately, we ended up tearing off the crust but the meat and other fillings were good.)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I were with another couple who have eaten at Amazing Grace Bakery many times before so they explained how everything works, although the staff is very friendly and helpful, as were other customers. The restaurant is on the garden-level, so you descend the stairs and find yourself facing the food prep area with a bakery case on your right and dining tables on your left. Their menu includes homemade soups, several salads, substantial sandwiches, and fresh baked goods. You step up to give your order where you can choose your own combination of bread, fillings, and condiments, or you can choose one of the special sandwiches that they have. Unless you have a large appetite, I strongly suggest you order a half sandwich. I opted to have the pastrami sandwich because I was curious about the pepper aoli. I loved it. I also ordered the creamy pumpkin soup, but I actually don't know if I got it because what I got--though it was delicious--didn't taste at all like pumpkin. It was hard to tell exactly what all was in it, but I did identify some potatoes, it seemed like there may have been some wild rice, and the base was definitely creamy and wonderful. My companions ordered a half tuna sandwich and coffee, a turkey sandwich and root beer, and some kind of vegetable soup and a muffin. We were all more than satisfied with our choices.
If you dine in, you get real plates, real coffee mugs, and real flatware! The atmosphere is cozy and has a college coffeehouse vibe with local musicians' autographed posters everywhere, tables with quirky news clippings epoxied on the top, and a piano in the corner. You bus your own dishes.
The prices are reasonable, the food is excellent, and the staff is young, friendly, and eager to please.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Tip: There are two portions to Amazing Grace - the outside patio and the restaurant in the basement. We chose the basement portion as there was immediate seating. However, we found out that the service is faster to the patio (which is very busy). The bakery is in the basement restaurant area.

The food was very good. Had a spinach and feta cheese omelette.

For Gluten Free travelers: They do have GF cookies and toast (which they happily substitute for the wheat bread).

You do have to pay for parking anywhere on Canal street, unless you are staying at a hotel. We parked in the lot east of the restaurant. $2 for up to 2 hours.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We ate at Amazing Grace on a Saturday morning in June-- lovely and sunny, and ended up waiting quite awhile for an outside table. We were okay with that, and the staff made the wait pretty enjoyable-- we were served coffee, we got a muffin from the bakery to tide us over, and servers kept us updated on when a table might open.

The breakfast food was great-- offbeat options with a healthy twist, vegetarian and meat. Loved the patio. We'd definitely go back when we visit Duluth!

1  Thank tjalberti

Been to Amazing Grace Bakery & Cafe? Share your experiences!