“Amazing soup, great pastry, but very slow service”

Amazing Grace Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 16 Coffee & Tea in Duluth
Cuisines: Soups, American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: For over 20 years, the Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe has been serving great food to our community in a friendly, welcoming environment. Our customers appreciate our partnerships with local vendors and our use of earth-friendly products. We are proud to say that our breakfast, lunch, and bakery items are prepared from scratch in our kitchen and bakery. The Grace also serves as a coffee shop, where folks can get their caffeine fix from organic coffee products provided by local vendors. Finally, we are heavily involved in our community and local philanthropy. The Grace is a gathering place and performance venue for local musicians, artists, and community groups. We are a warm and welcoming place for all.
minneapolis, MN
“Amazing soup, great pastry, but very slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

We went to Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe in the basement of the DeWitt/Seitz building in Duluth, MN today for a late breakfast/early lunch. I had the rosemary whitebean soup, my husband had the breakfast burrito, one of our friends had a sandwich, and the other had an egg and sausage breakfast combo. To get a soup or sandwich, one orders from the soup/sandwich counter, they make your order right there, and you pay and either go, or eat it there. To get the items off the menu, you sit down and order.

So, two of us (me with soup, and my friend the sandwich guy) got our food at the counter and brought it back to the table. My husband and the other friend ordered from a server.

First, the good stuff--the rosemary/white bean soup was outstanding and the portion was enormous. This is the best white bean soup I have ever had, and I enjoyed every spoonful Second, the gluten-free bread was good, and my friend's sandwich was excellent. And their baked goods are Heaven.

Now the not-so-good. Service was excruciatingly slow. It took forever for the other two of our party to get their food, and the quality of their food was mediocre. Also, the person ringing me up for my order at the counter mistakenly over-charged me by $3, which mistake I caught and she re-did and apologized for. Still...

Our final impression/recommendation: drop the sit-down menu and service, and stick to what you do best--pastries and other baked goodies, as well as made-to-order sandwiches and to-die-for soups.

Owatonna, Minnesota
“Great food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

The bakery items were yummy. There wasn't a crumb left of the raspberry-rhubarb muffin or cinnamon twist. Or the blondie, for that matter. The sandwiches are made on fresh baked bread (your choice) and feature fresh ingredients. I had turkey with lettuce, tomato, cheese, sprouts, cucumber and cranberry mayo. Will definitely return whenever we're in Duluth!

Visited September 2012
Fairmont, Minnesota
“nice ambiance yet a little spendy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had breakfast with our 2 kids. Busy place and staff is great. Nothing extraordinary about the food yet eating at the patio is awesome :) staff is attentive deserving of a good tip. Spend for a breakfast tho.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Best espresso in town, fantastic baked goods, but don't overlook their tasty soups, salads and entrées. In the generous northern Minnesota tradition, portions are large, so you might want to share that lasagna with a friend! Between the coffee and the great folks running the place, we went back again and again.

Visited September 2012
Solomon, Kansas
“great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

The food was very good . We had vegetable soup, voyager sandwich, lasagna and salad. The bread was fantastic and the soup and lasagna very good taste. My husband had chai expresso which was delicious. I had a mocha which had good flavor but was not hot enough. The decor is fun, like an eclectic coffee shop. There is also outdoor seating.