WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Historic and Elegant B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cotton Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Cotton Mansion
Ranked #4 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Historic and Elegant B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

In June 2005, my husband and I spent a wonderful weekend in the Terrace Suite at The Cotton Mansion to celebrate our fifth anniversary. The bed and breakfast is a beautifully restored mansion from the early 1900s located near Lake Superior in Duluth. The owners of The Cotton Mansion were extremely gracious and thoughtful, they even got me non-alcoholic champagne since I was newly pregnant! The elegant decor of the mansion reflects the impeccable taste of the owners, and their hospitality included a wine and cheese tasting in the evening in the grand dining room. The whole atmosphere of the mansion was relaxing and welcoming, making me feel both awe-struck by its beauty, and comfortable at the same time. Our suite was the Terrace Suite which included a private terrace, double whirlpool in a private bathroom, firplace, and luxurious queen bed. The suite, and especially the whirlpool, was a relaxing haven after a day of sightseeing around Duluth.
Perhaps the best part of The Cotton Mansion was the breakfasts. Having stayed at bed and breakfasts before, I thought I knew what to expect. I was truly amazed by the beautiful gourmet breakfasts which were served to us in our room! It was a wonderful way to start off the day. On the second morning, we ate our breakfast on our private terrace overlooking a neighborhood of gorgeous old houses with Lake Superior glistening in the distance. It was extremely romantic, and a wonderful departure from our daily lives! The Cotton Mansion is a must!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2005

We have stayed at a couple of different B&Bs in Duluth and the Cotton Mansion was the best! We stayed at the Cotton Mansion for our honeymoon. It completely exceeded our expectations. The house iteself is amazing, the staff is very welcoming, and just when you think your stay couldn't possibly get any better, they serve you wonderful gourmet food! We would recommend the Cotton Mansion to anyone. It is definitely worth the trip and we guarantee that you won't want to leave at the end of your stay! We will be back there for our one year anniversary!

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2005

The previous reviews are totally untrue. The mansion was gorgeous and classical music playing in the background was uplifting. Our room had a jacuzzi in it where we were able to light candles - very romantic. The staff was very nice and the breakfast was great. I wasnt all that thrilled about eating my breakfast with the other guests at the dining room table but that wasnt a big deal. I would definitely come here again.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2005

The house is stunning, there's no doubt about it, and with the blockade of my best friend to shield me (and pinch me under the table when we had to laugh) the trip was great. The place, however, is somewhere between laughably and unbearably snotty. I'd rather not have a lesson in pretense over breakfast (coming to that, I'd side with Julia Child that I'd rather not be able to tell just how much someone had handled my food before it was handed to me, beautifully sculpted.)

To their credit, the owners were helpful and friendly, but I just couldn't get over how seriously the inn took itself.

The room (rose room) was definately romantic and I adored the bed. The common rooms are beautiful, and it is well worth imagining that they are your own.

It's good fun for a stay, just bring someone that you can laugh with.

• Stayed June 2003
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2005

What a beautiful place. My partner & I came from Missouri to visit the Twin Cities & decided to go north to Duluth for a few days. We found the Cotton Mansion website & knew this was the place we wanted to stay. Needless to say we were right. What a beautiful home.
The Owners/Innkeepers Kimberly & Ken were so welcoming, gracious & very personable. Ken was very informative of the history of the home & very willing to answer any questions we had & so interesting to list to.
Soft elegant music played while we sat & enjoyed the lovely wine & cheese that was offered. Breakfast was the most wonderful tasting stuffed french toast & nothing like I had ever tasted. Such an elegant atmosphere; it was like you were royality. Breakfast was served on china w/ crystal & candle lighting.
When evening came it was so nice to relax in the hot tub w/ the fire place lite & a soft CD playing. (Stereo & CD's were provided) Nice.
We will return & have already booked for a later date; no need to look any further for a better B&B. THIS IS THE PLACE !!

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2005

My husband and I gave ourselves a midweek treat and what a treat it was! The Cotton Mansion is like a fairytale. Not only that, but our host - Ken - was sweet and very knowlegable about the history of this beautiful site. The balcony, the dome, and the immense size of everything is awesome! AWSOME! Because we were the only people there that night Ken even offered us a free upgrade. With wine, cheese, and fresh fruit as a part of the evening package our night started out as romantically as we had hoped. We snacked and sipped in the sunroom before heading out for dinner. When we came back we slipped into the 2 person kohler whirlpool bathtub, lit the sweet smelling candles that were there for our convenience, added the lavender bathsalts, and enjoyed a glass of sparkling wine. We had a fireplace in our room. Of course, logs and matches were provided. The evening was perfect! And the morning breakfast was exactly to our specifications. The first course was a huge portion of fresh fruit and tea, followed by Eggs Benedict. The hollendaise sauce was scrumptious! Ken also arranged for us to receive our breakfast an hour later than they normally serve, as well as serving us in our room. Wow! I would recommend this B&B to anyone and everyone!

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2004

Unwelcoming house and people better suited for a halloween party than a warn place to stay. Owners seemed burned out and tired of the B&B process. Be careful where you park or you will get yelled at to move the car. Antique dust under bed not in keeping with stated quality. Breakfast tasted good but I would have preferred my local Perkins waitress, she is friendler. Was taken there for my birthday but would never go again or recommend B&B.

12 Thank jerryfmd