“more than a zoo”

Lake Superior Zoo & Zoological Society
Ranked #25 of 95 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located 10 minutes from Downtown Duluth, the zoo offers year-round recreational opportunities for animal lovers of all ages. This zoo features animals from around the world. You'll find Amur Tigers, Snow Leopards, African Lions, Kangaroos, Lemurs, Tamarins, plus a variety of birds, reptiles, primates and barnyard animals. The Lake Superior Zoo is situated on 16 acres of rocky hills, majestic pines and beautiful Kingsbury Creek. Visit our website for information on our educational camps and programs, upcoming events and how you can host an event at the zoo. Open Daily All Year Long. June - September 9am - 5pm and October - May 10am - 4pm
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I practically grew up here! Now I volunteer.
Now that the city is not in control,the animals are very well cared for (and I'm an animal advocate) Many are here due to their health issues, have been surrendered or are here as part of breeding programs. The flood of 2012 took a huge toll on the habitats and they are working hard to upgrade the spaces. Nester the snapping turtle has a new home, the barnyard has been re-done to allow interaction with the goats & sheep and the volunteers have been adding beautiful new flower gardens! Great place for small children with many activities and chances to interact. Plus the property is nice for a stroll.

5  Thank Janis S
"great attraction"
"walk around"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Yes, this is a small zoo and there aren't a lot of animals. However, we always make it a point to visit on every trip. They have animals here that aren't at the MN Zoo or Como and you can usually get an up close view of them. I personally love the nocturnal path, I love watching the animals that are normally sleeping in other zoos, walking around. I am so happy to see this zoo still up and running after the flood (although I miss the Polar Bears). We love this zoo!

3  Thank Kari M
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I stopped here while on our weekend getaway to Duluth. It didnt look like much from the outside but it was a lot bigger than it looked and we ended up having a really great time. Nester the turtle was our favorite part. It was a warm day out and so all of the animals were out walking around. We also went right when they opened and so it was very quiet and animals were active because it was feeding time.

2  Thank OnThePlane1
Reviewed October 20, 2013

There was virtually no animals, it was filthy, and they seriously have a crow in a cage. If you want to see animals that are found in a normal back yard then go for it but I was very disappointed. I doubt I will ever get the terrible smell of the lizard area out of my nose and to top it off it costs$8. Never again!

2  Thank josh s
See more reviews
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Attended Boo at the Zoo with our two grand daughters, ages 21/2 and 7 months. What a great event for kids! At first the older one did not understand putting on a costume, but seeing all of the other people, including adults in costume, she was more than happy to wear hers. This was the first time also that she could comprehend the concept of trick or treating and all of the tables set up with prizes and treats made it very fun and nonthreatening for her. She greatly enjoyed seeing all of the animals and they seemed to be enjoying the attention as well. Lots of fun activities from face painting, hayride, ring toss, pumpkin patch, and of course the animals and trick or treating. She even enjoyed the 'haunted house". Great halloween event for children and us adults had a great time as well!