New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lake Superior Zoo & Zoological Society

Lake Superior Zoo & Zoological Society
Ranked #29 of 93 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: Located 10 minutes from Downtown Duluth, the zoo offers year-round recreational opportunities for animal lovers of all ages. This zoo features animals from around the world. You'll find Amur Tigers, Snow Leopards, African Lions, Brown Bears, Kangaroos, Gray Wolves, plus a variety of birds, reptiles, primates and barnyard animals. The Lake Superior Zoo is situated on 16 acres of rocky hills, majestic pines and beautiful Kingsbury Creek. Visit our website for information on our educational camps and programs, upcoming events and how you can host an event at the zoo. Open Daily All Year Long. June - September 9am - 5pm and October - May 10am - 4pm
Superior
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Boo at the Zoo, great event!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Attended Boo at the Zoo with our two grand daughters, ages 21/2 and 7 months. What a great event for kids! At first the older one did not understand putting on a costume, but seeing all of the other people, including adults in costume, she was more than happy to wear hers. This was the first time also that she could comprehend the concept of trick or treating and all of the tables set up with prizes and treats made it very fun and nonthreatening for her. She greatly enjoyed seeing all of the animals and they seemed to be enjoying the attention as well. Lots of fun activities from face painting, hayride, ring toss, pumpkin patch, and of course the animals and trick or treating. She even enjoyed the 'haunted house". Great halloween event for children and us adults had a great time as well!

Visited October 2013

Rochester
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Very nice small city zoo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I work in my hometown zoo, I am aware of the challenges of making repairs and major changes. With that in mind, my husband and I were very impressed with this zoo. It should not be compared to any large-city zoos. It is clear that some exhibits are newer or have been improved and others are still in need of upgrading. This is typical of most small and medium zoos, I would imagine. For the most part, we felt like we were on a nice woodland walk. The layout was great and not too confusing. It was a cloudy, almost drizzly day, but we enjoyed it. We knew they had suffered a flood more than a year ago. The exhibit that was damaged is still under repair, but given that funds are needed for repairs, as is decent weather (for the most part), this was not a surprise to us. I loved that we were able to see the bears up close, and the primates. While the lions were also close, this was the exhibit that needs the most attention. It had a nice glass window, but was small. I am spoiled by my own zoo, which just opened a beautiful lion exhibit (very costly). Another zoo near my hometown has a lion exhibit that was not as nice as the Lake Superior Zoo's. Again, it needs to be in perspective and remember that time and money are necessary for improvements. I'm sure they know exactly what needs to be done and it's likely in their long-term plans already.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Seahorse825
Savage, Minnesota, United States
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Zoo needs a lift”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went to the zoo today. Since the big floor in 2012, it seems the zoo has not recovered. The zoo is located on a beautiful setting but does not have a large number of animals. Had a great walk in the fresh air but was not impressed. (Guess I am spoiled by the Zoo in Apple Valley, MN). I noted, though, that the small children were enthralled. Thus, a great family spot.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lynn S
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This zoo has major positives and negatives. It is a smaller zoo, not a major zoo like the Minnesota Zoo, San Diego Zoo, or anything else. So if that's what you are expecting, don't waste your time. We walked through the whole zoo in under two hours. The biggest plus for me was that nearly every animal that was on exhibit, was more active then at other zoos and you got to see them better. I agree with other reviewers that you would think that by now more progress would have been made with repairing things from the flood. I also think it is overpriced. $10 for this tiny zoo is too much.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank ashleydg13
Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Very sad to see it so run down and cruddy. I am a huge animal lover and it bothered me to stroll around but I did just to see if”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I do not like writing poor reviews, but when it comes to animals I am a huge lover and advocate. This zoo is one of the poorest ones I have ever visited in my life.. Dirty conditions and the animals were alive, yes, but not in quality habitat. I have been to zoos all over the United States and always felt happy to see the animals in such good care. Not this one. Also, there were danger zones I could see everywhere on the walks if you had little children, construction messes, and the animals had water to drink, but the conditions did not look good at all. It really bothered me. What is up with allowing this?I know the flood of 2012 devastated alot of the zoo and animals perished, but why are things not cleaned up and sanitary in 2013? The lawns were bad, and benches all cruddy looking. I did not dare use the restrooom because I didn't want to get even more irritated. The grounds were so dry and sad and unkept...Nothing that some landscaping and physical labor and paint couldn't spruce up. How about watering the grass at least once a day to keep it green? Come on! Start and finish a project...don't leave all your tool and mess out like it's abandoned...there are little toddles walking around this zoo! Hire some workers....find a grant to help pay for funds, get some money to back your zoo to make it a gorgeous place. The location of the rolling hillside is perfect but not when its not tended to. I was highly disappointed and really wish I had not seen it. Poor animals.....looks like a dullsville life. Smelly everywhere, and not just the ordinary smells you expect at a zoo. Ick. Very few zoo employees even around. Grounds were not good. Skip this zoo and take your kids for a walk in the woods somewhere else. Lions, tigers, and bears....yes, I saw them. But they don't look happy one bit. Very sad. Who manages this? No good! The movie "We bought a zoo" had rules...why doesn't this one? These animals deserve a wonderful clean life! Wow, this was a long review but it's on my mind after our trip today to this place.

Visited August 2013