South Pier Inn on the Canal
Comfort Inn West(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$102
Great 4.5/5
The Suites Hotel in Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$112
Very Good 4/5
Comfort Suites Canal Park(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$124
ComfortSuites
Great 4.5/5
The Inn on Lake Superior(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$140
$163
$111
Sheraton.com
Very Good 4/5
Park Point Marina Inn(Duluth)(Great Value!)
$114
Good 3.5/5
Canal Park Lodge(Duluth)
$139
Great 4.5/5
All reviewslift bridgepanoramic suiteacross the bridgehot tub and fireplacecontinental breakfastships passinghuge shipsshort walkdvd playerplace to stayview of the waterliving roomdonutsprivate balconyyogurtfantastic locationparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Very nice facility. Furniture is a tad bit outdated but it doesn't really take away from the room. The panoramic corner suite was great with the balcony was great and they also provided a small telescope in the room. The king bed wasn't super comfortable, and basically the only thing i was disappointed in. South Pier also has a continental breakfast and a very helpful staff!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed at South Pier Inn. The first time we stayed on the parking lot side which didn't have a view but was very clean, and had a balcony. This time we came down for the Tall Ships and booked a room with a canal/harbor view. What a perfect spot for watching all the boats go by.
The location is perfect for walking around Canal Park (we didn't move the car once) and biking to the end of Park Point to walk on the sand by the lake.

Reviewed July 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed for the first time at the South Pier six years ago and have been coming back every year since to celebrate my husbands birthday. We look forward to this trip all year long and know that when we drive in we will be greeted by friendly faces and beautiful landscaped exterior. The rooms are clean and fresh, the canal view can't be beat and the breakfast rolls and coffee top notch.Kudos to Jamie at the front desk and the owners Betty and Dale who are always super friendly and helpful in planning a day in Duluth.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

We made our resevations at this hotel for July 4th almost a year prior to ensure we got a good room with a view of the fireworks show. The clerk said this room had a view of the fireworks. We were also told that there was a two night minium stay for the 4th, also. I called a few weeks prior to arrving to confirm everything and they told me that our room was facing the canal and you are not able to see the fireworks show from there. I was very unpset especially because I gave up my resevation at the Comfort Suites, which didn't have a minium stay and was half the price. So I spoke with the manager who said, "I'm really sorry about the confusion, I will make a note on the account and I will put you at the top of the list if we get a cancellation in one of the harbor rooms." When I arrived to check in I asked the man about cancellations and he knew nothing about my situation, because there was no note on my account. If they really cared at all, he would have at least made a simple note on my account explaining the sitiutation. This made me very angry because I would have just canceled if I knew they weren't even going to try and get us another room. He also informed me that they changed to the two night minimum because of several cancellations. So now I'm staying two nights at $290.00 in a room I could careless to be in. I could have got a room facing the parking lot for half the price when I made my reservation cause those rooms were open at that time. If I would have know my room wasn't going to be facing the harbor I wouldn't have taken the one we got. This made me even more angry and the man said "don't worry they will take care of the first night for you, just talk to the lady when you check out." Our solo reason for vistiing was to stay in room that I could see the fireworks in. We only live 25 minutes from the hotel so if I knew at the time of my reservation that I wasn't going to be in the room I wanted, I would have never made this reservation.
So the day I checked out I spoke with the lady, the manager, and the owner. Not one person really cared that we were unstatifiied. They just kept having me explain my story but really weren't gonna do anything about it. No one could back up anything the other said Each had there own story. Needless to say we didn't get the first night free, we didn't get anything for all the confusion except a $590.00 bill. This sitituaion was very disappointing because we were looking so forward to this weekend and to be able to come back year after year, but unforutaly we will never be coming back.
Staff says one thing and maganement doesn't follow through with the promises. The owner could careless if we wre unhappy, They got there money from us and that was that. The room was very small for the amount of money we spent. I've never stayed in a room that was a suite that was so small. DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!
Stay at the Inn on Lake Superior, where the rooms are nice and the staff is wonderful. If there is ever an issue they will take care of you. You will get way more for your money.
Matt & Kari

6  Thank lewis1208
SouthPierInn, General Manager at South Pier Inn on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

South Pier Inn is uniquely situated at the foot of the Aerial Lift Bridge on Park Point, which provides our guests a front row seat to the Duluth fireworks display. Very often, guests rebook their rooms for the following year and make a tradition of spending their Independence Day with us. While our harbor view suites offer a great view of the fireworks, our canal view One Room Waterfront Suites are among our most popular rooms. We have a large, private harbor-side lawn from which guests staying in canal side suites and balcony guest rooms can enjoy the fireworks.

Both the General Manager and Guest Services Supervisor review and update reservations on a daily basis, and were mindful of the requests of this guest. Very infrequently do cancellations occur for harbor side suites on the Fourth of July. There is a two night minimum stay requirement over the Fourth of July holiday - we only have a minimum stay requirement on certain holidays and special events. Most days throughout the year do not carry this requirement.

We always make every attempt to honor guests' room change requests, but because we are a smaller property, we unfortunately cannot meet every request. We honor any cancellations and do not charge a cancellation fee as long as we receive the cancellation before 6pm the day prior to check in. This is always an option for our guests if we have not been able to meet a reservation change request.

We welcome and encourage our guests to contact us if they ever have any questions or need clarification about the room they have booked. Our staff is available 24 hours a day at 800-430-7437, and a full description of each of our rooms and suites is available on our website.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

I didn't believe in a perfect hotel until I stayed at the South Pier Inn in Duluth. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, and the location is amazing. My husband and I stayed in a deluxe waterfront king room overlooking the harbor. The room had all of the amenties we expected and then some. We loved the whirlpool tub, which was spotless. Our room had three large windows and a balcony with a window in the door to allow a lot of natural light, and also allowed us to enjoy the great view. The room also had a fireplace which we were able to use because of the rainy, cold weather. The bathroom is spacious and the shower is very large with good water pressure and an adjustable shower head. The bathroom also had a magnified mirror and hair dryer. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great (my husband and I are very fickle about pillows, so this is a big complement). There was also a fridge, microwave, kitchen sink, and iron, which is always a plus. The balcony was very nice and my husband and I were able to sit and enjoy the cool summer evening together. South Pier Inn also provides a cd player/radio and binoculars in the rooms. My husband liked using the binoculars to look on the boats as they passed by. The location is GREAT; a short walk from the shops and restaurants of the canal zone. The horns from the ship weren't horribly loud in the room with the door shut, but if you're staying this close to the canal, you can't expect a silent stay.
The only disappointment (it's kind of a stretch to call it a disappointment) is that there wasn't a screen door, or screens on the window. I would have like to have left the window or door open for the night, but was scared to have birds fly in.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple