“Absolutely loved our stay here”

South Pier Inn on the Canal
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Duluth
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This was a great choice for us, because I was absolutely fascinated by the Aerial Lift Bridge. The room was very comfortable, we stayed in a Queen Bed Waterfront Suite (which wasn't really a suite, but as comfortable as one) and it was good size. We loved the tub in the room, and the balcony, and the windows overlooking the harbor. Oh, and it was nice having the mini-fridge, and the coffee (in-room and with continental breakfast) was great!

We stayed three nights. The hotel was easy walking distance to restaurants in Canal Park, and walking to the places we ate downtown was feasible, but we chose to drive (a little chilly). I really rate this as one of the best places I've stayed in terms of suiting our tastes and being wonderfully relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jrf25

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights and were very lucky.
I selected it based on price and location to the beach.
The rooms were large, spotless and had very comfortable beds & pillows.
The front desk staff is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.
They asked each day what our plans were and made recommendations that added to seeing the area.

(THIS IS WHERE IT GETS LONG)
The highlight for me, being a garden lover, was 2 houses that faced the bay. One of the home owners was sitting on her deck with her husband. I went closer to tell her how beautiful her garden was. She immediately came over and started telling me about the garden she and her neighbor shared across from the bay. They hauled in some tremendous rocks and lots of hand picked smaller rocks. Together they planted fruit trees, perennials and annuals timed perfectly for staggered blooming.
The last night of my stay I went to say good bye, but she was not out.
The next morning when I went into the breakfast area there she was sitting at a table talking to someone. I sat at the next table. I heard a few things that made me curious. I had to ask, if she owned the Inn to which she replied yes.
She had no idea when we met, I was a guest at the inn. She was so lovely and proud of her gardens. That is how her staff is trained and that is how her inn is kept.
I would recommend to anyone going to Deluth to stay here.

Room Tip: Any room with a balcony facing the water.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle0498
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had the panoramic suite for our first two nights in Duluth and it was heavenly! Hot tub, fireplace, balcony facing the canal to watch the big ships go in and out. Room was very nice, bed comfortable and staff fantastic. Only drawback there isn't much for a breakfast-just coffee and a donut-but it is within walking distance of restaurants. And the view more than makes up for anything!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sdgal311
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed in the "Grand Panoramic Corner Suite – Upper" (corner unit). Fortunately we had good weather, and were able to take full advantage of the balcony. Unit is very nice and spacious, with great views. In addition to binoculars, we had a telescope in our room, as well as books about the area, ships, birds, etc. We liked that the hotel is off of Canal Park, though just a short walk across the lift bridge. It is surprisingly quiet, despite being so close to the bridge. The ships' horns in the middle of the night did wake us up a couple of times, but that's to be expected, I guess. The only thing missing was stemware and a plate or two to enjoy our in-room picnic that we brought with us.
We don't typically spend this kind of money on hotels, but this splurge was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Room 602 is the upper corner unit.
1  Thank 7oaks_traveler
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very nice , clean, friendly staff, rooms are large very nice layout separate bedroom from rest of room, great view of bay, the only negative is the side windows, not sure what architect was thinking when they designed, it takes a little privacy away, but you know close your door shade and you' ll be fine. A bit pricey booking last minute on a Saturday but I guess that's to be expected.

Room Tip: We had 801 and it was very nice
2  Thank Steve W
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We celebrated our 25th anniversary here. The room was very clean which is important to me.
We had a 2nd floor room by the lift bridge. I was surprised to see binoculars by the window which my husband liked. Including robes is a nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and the 2 person jacuzzi was great. Having a balcony was nice also to see the lift bridge operate and all the boats that were out on Sunday. The only thing I could think of to improve on would be the breakfast. Most hotels now offer a hot breakfast. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor with a harbor view or canal view. The view is great!!
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our stay at the South Pier Inn was just too short. We had a canal view room close to the bridge. We wanted to stay "right in the action" as we were only there for one night. And we were. A very nice room. Large with a fireplace and seperate bedroom. Very comfortable for our family. The view was incredible. It was nice to be able to walk to Canal Park and the lighthouse. Just wish we could have stayed longer. What a great place!!!

Room Tip: The canal view rooms are very nice with views of the ships coming and going.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family