“beautiful estate”

Glensheen, The Historic Congdon Estate
Ranked #7 of 95 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Finished in 1908, this Lake Superior 39-room mansion enjoys a rare, intact collection of original furnishings and art. Because of that, it closely resembles the days when the Congdon family first occupied it. Truly, it is Duluth's answer to Downton Abbey. Situated on a wooded lot, the home boasts spectacular views of Lake Superior, as well as, multiple gardens including formal, flower and vegetable. Guests are also encouraged to explore the carriage house, boat house, stone bridge and pier. Children enjoy the pebbled beach for hours of rock skipping while parents take in a sit on one of Adirondack chairs. Be sure to check out Glensheen as part of your must-do Duluth bucket list.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We love visiting Glensheen and have taken our kids as well, and they highly enjoyed it (ages 8, 10, 12). We gave them some background history on the family and murder prior to going, and that really kept them curious as we toured. The home and grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept up. I feel that the entry prices are a bit high, and wish that more of the home was included in the general tour. THe views of lake superior are amazing!

Glensheen, Manager at Glensheen, The Historic Congdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

We love it when children come to the estate and enjoy the tour. They often enjoy looking for the hundreds of carved pineapples in the woodwork and get caught up in the story of the Congdons. I want to acknowledge your comment that the tickets are on the expensive side. We hear you. We wish we could open the house for free, but rest assured the admission fee allows us to keep the doors open. In the summer, we provide employment for 50+ university students and always maintaining this 100-year-old treasure.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Beautiful house; beautiful grounds. A must-see, especially if you love architecture! Take the time for photos outside with the beautiful Lake Superior view.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We took the Flashlight tour and it was scary and amazing! I had never seen the mansion in total darkness before. Def adds to the experience!

2  Thank George W

How wonderful that the darkness of our Flashlight Tour added to your experience in this magnificent mansion! So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your positive review.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Firstly, the ticket prices are ridiculously high AND there are boxes all over the house begging for donations. Between the tour prices and what they must charge for weddings/events, why do they need donations on top of that? While the entryway and a few of the rooms were very cool, some of it was almost tacky. $45 for a family to see the main floor, the "women's floor" and the basement is not a good deal. I love touring historical buildings and this house just fell short for me. Perhaps I was spoiled by my experiences touring a few of the Louisiana plantations (I went pre-Katrina, if that matters). This house just didn't have much to offer past the grand entryway. The young girl (college-age) giving the tour was sweet and did a good job as far as I can tell, but the house wasn't that well cared for, considering the amount of money they pull in.
While I am glad I was able to finally see the house, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know unless they have a lot of money to throw away. Oh, and use the toilet before you even drive to the location, all we could find was a port-a-potty outside the ticket building (in 1 degree weather in March) until you get to the very end of the tour.

Glensheen, Manager at Glensheen, The Historic Congdon Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

I'm sorry you weren't delighted with your Glensheen tour. Most of our guests truly enjoy themselves here at the lakeside estate and marvel in our rare, intact 1908 collection of items. Our ticket price, along with the funds collected in our donation jars, go to the upkeep of the 39-room mansion and 7 acres. Our working garden supplies 2.5 tons of fresh produce to our local food shelf. We hope you can come back in the summer and take in the grounds. Perhaps you could email me directly at lamundse@d.umn.edu and we can see how we can make your next visit more enjoyable.
Best,
Lucie Amundsen
marketing director

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I chose the extended tour and it was well worth it. The time flew by, but I didn't feel like the tour guide was rushing at all. Live, interested tour guides really made the difference for me. I hate it that many places have moved to the recordings - I'll happily pay for the person who will answer specific questions and our guide knew her stuff. The house itself is beautifully preserved - you feel as if one of the Congdon's could step out of the next room at any time.
Tip: visit the restroom before your visit because the only ones available are at the end of the tour.

We're so glad you enjoyed the extended tour! The third floor is beloved for its rare and intact Arts & Crafts furnishings from the early 1900s. Thank you for sharing your good experience.