“Fascinating place”

Glensheen, The Historic Congdon Estate
Ranked #7 of 94 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Finished in 1908, this Lake Superior 39-room mansion enjoys a rare, intact collection of original furnishings and art. Because of that, it closely resembles the days when the Congdon family first occupied it. Truly, it is Duluth's answer to Downton Abbey. Situated on a wooded lot, the home boasts spectacular views of Lake Superior, as well as, multiple gardens including formal, flower and vegetable. Guests are also encouraged to explore the carriage house, boat house, stone bridge and pier. Children enjoy the pebbled beach for hours of rock skipping while parents take in a sit on one of Adirondack chairs. Be sure to check out Glensheen as part of your must-do Duluth bucket list.
Twin Cities, MN
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fascinating place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Loads to see as wandering thru the mansion and grounds = stepping back in time to another era. I became so enthralled with the entire site and story that I even purchased a book to read more about this place which it very unusual for me.

Visited November 2011

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worth the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

the mansion is so fasinating , it is so unreal to see how rich people were even back then. and the way they lived. its worth the money i think it was like $13 for the shorter tour id like to go on the longer but didnt want to take the time- but my curiosity thinks whats on the upper level anything as neat as the rest? oh well maybe next time. my favorite is still the garden room with the built in water source (ive been on the tour twice now)

Visited September 2012
South Saint Paul, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“very informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

we went on this tour for the first time, the girls really enjoyed everything, they said; "people don't really live like this do they?" but the gardens were I think the high point.... Beautiful!!

Visited September 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Must see for History & Architecture Geeks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Went here as a kid and was really looking forward to seeing it again. Expectations were high and they were met. The parking lot is a disaster. The gift shop was great. I picked up some really affordable prints. We picked the extended tour and I would never take the basic one again. For me, some of the most interesting architectural designs were on the 3rd floor. The arts and crafts style up there is great. The extended tour is limited to 10 people I believe, so get tickets early. This also gives you a more personal tour on the other floors. The grounds outside are also very nice, although I wish they'd consider restoring the boathouse. And I'd love to see the deceased gardener's house, it looks really cozy from the outside. I would love to bring people to Glensheen Estate when they visit me in Duluth.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Garner M
Chaska, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The standard tour was very good but I am curious about the expanded tour. We saw the first and 2nd floor but not the third. Lots of neat facts given by the tour guide.

Visited October 2012