“Are You Kidding Me?”

Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Oregon
“Are You Kidding Me?”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Stayed at this place a while back. I grew up in Duluth and visit alot now. This place is a ghetto motel. One review said there were murders here, there right. In fact a couple. Everyone in Duluth knows the Voyager is for hookers and drug dealers. I cant believe the reviews, maybe they just got lucky on the nights they were there. I wouldnt even go here for a night unless I had a gun on me

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank thegoatman44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My husband and I stay at the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn everytime we have to come for medical purposes and we have never had a problem. The rooms are average, but they offer discounts for people who have to come for medical treatment or appointments. We have certainly stayed in worse places. We rather enjoy our stay; it is quiet, which is a must for me! and the price is right. I love the old archetecture of the downtown area of Duluth and at night we like to go out on the balcony (and have never been attacked or propositioned!!!) and the view is breathtaking! Plus who can resist the opportunity to experience some of Duluth's rich history of the downtown area!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 2, 2009

So I read the reviews before we even booked the place but because of our budget and last minute planning, we decided what the hell, how bad could it be. Well, we were in for a big suprise. When we pulled up to the place, there were bags of trash (we hope it was trash) on the ledge in front of three parking stalls. There was also an old gas can. Preface for what we were about to see. The lady at the front was really nice and friendly, can't complain. We got to our room and it smelt like someone had been smoking even though it was a no smoking room. Right before bed, I got under the covers and immediately noticed that there were two cigarettee burn holes in my comfortor blanket......Nasty!!! I threw it off and decided to sleep with just the sheet. Right after that, my friend accidently knocked the picture above his bed and a home made WEED PIPE fell out from behind it. Seems like someone was saving it for later. It had residue like someone had used it not to long ago. Needing to get some sleep, we tried our best to pretend what just happened.....didn't happen. It did. This is your forewarning!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
9 Thank sirc808

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

St. Paul, MN
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I've been to Duluth more times than I can count and always stayed in the Holiday or the Suites or the Radisson, but I was travelling solo this time and didn't want to shell out $100+ since I was arriving at midnight. I was a little nervous about it but I didn't think it was bad, and the price was half of what I would have paid anywhere else in downtown (except the Best Western, which was 50% more than what I paid at the Lakewalk). Service was friendly and the old-style kitsch was a plus. The tub/shower looked like it was made for a midget, but then I realized that the bottom of the tub was about a foot lower than the floor... Strange but interesting. Worst thing I saw was that there were what looked like a few burn holes in the bed cover even though it was a non-smoking room. It didn't smell like smoke though. Mildew is the first thing I look for but the bathroom was clean. It said it allowed pets but I couldn't smell any traces of any, and I'm picky about that. This place definitely isn't the Radisson, but I wouldn't say that it's any worse of a value. It looked like there were a couple of neat rooms, one that overlooks the lake in particular with a deck. Location is great and the price was surprisingly low. I'm a single guy, so take this for what it's worth, but I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bigfitz79
Twin Cities
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I have stayed at the Voyageur several times this year and will be going back for the Labor Day weekend. I have always had a clean room with clean towels and a decent bed to sleep in. The location is phenomenal. You can walk anywhere you want to downtown. It is nextdoor to the Sheraton, so it's in pretty ritzy company. The views from the outdoor deck can't be beat and
the office personnel has always been pleasant. The rates are very reasonable. When I go to Duluth, I spend my time around town, not in my motel room. I want to be able to walk around and enjoy myself, not having to look for parking spaces for every place I want to go. The Voyageur more than meets this requirement. It's not a luxury motel, but you're not paying luxury prices either. Other people must feel the same way I do, because this place is sure packed on the weekends!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TwinCitiesTambourine
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 10, 2008

The Voyageur Lakewalk Inn has received some nasty reviews. But, I like an adventure and booked their jacuzzi/fireplace room. IT WAS AWESOME! Plus, it had an amazing view of Lake Superior. It was decorated like a cabin, with a soft, high king-sized bed. The whirlpool bath was so much fun, we could soak and watch the fire. It was just great, and the same price as a boring room at the Hilton right next door. Don't get the bad neighborhood comments at all, again, the Hilton is RIGHT NEXT DOOR. Duluth is not a gated community, just FYI.

So, anyway, I hesitated to post this because I want this place to be my little secret!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TorchyRedhead
Mille Lacs Lake, MN
Reviewed December 10, 2007

This place was horrible. To start out, the first sign was the front desk lady telling us to stay out of the coutyard at night, be safe and dont de loud! There was no working heat, and the extra space heater they brought us did not work also. There was no battery in the smoke alarm, and a giant water puddle in the bathroom. Screaming and people running up and down the stairs was all I heard. It was scary enough for me to pack my things and go stay at the sheraton!$78 for that dump compared to $119 at the shearton was 100% better, I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. So spend the extra $40 and stay in luxury and be safe.

• Liked — nothing at all
  • Disliked — everything about the place
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jlynn2007