“Conveniently located, but a little disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Voyageur Lakewalk Inn

Voyageur Lakewalk Inn
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Bozeman, Montana
“Conveniently located, but a little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place was nicely located in downtown Duluth, but the room wasn't what was expected. It seemed like it was a bit ancient and hadn't been updated since the 80's. The room smelled weird, and the shower was in definite need of upgrade. As my friends and I were there for a wedding, the only time we spent there was to sleep so it was fine. The hotel had great views of Lake Superior, with a deck overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: choosing a higher end room might be best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank mtndi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I prefer to shop local when we travel so were looking for somewhere to stay without a chain name. Our TripAdvisor search brought us to the Voyageur for a one-day stop in Duluth and we loved it. Smaller, old-fashioned motel was very clean and comfortable. While located right on Superior Street, the rooms were quiet and the glimpses of Lake Superior through the room window were an added bonus. We haven't been given an actual room key for years and loved the retro experience. Grabbed a cup of coffee from the office and headed up to the sundeck in the morning to watch the freighters thread their way into the harbor. It was an excellent stay and the staff was tremendous - extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Heard the suites are tremendous...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank WaukeshaWalkAbouts
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a clean less expensive alternative to the >$200 hotels in Canal Park. You will be within walking distance of Canal Park, the lakewalk, Fitzgers, and the Pickwick. We parked out truck and walked everywhere. No, it is not a 5 star hotel but it is a decent alternative. I did not feel like it was dirty or that I had to sleep in my clothes as another reviewer stated. We stayed two nights and had no trouble sleeping even with the road noise. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a south side, third floor room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gnash01
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed in a standard 2 full bed room. It was clean and quiet.
Nothing fancy, but a good place for a restful night.
Room did include a refrigerator.
Breakfast was a Danish and tea or coffee.

There are a few decks on the property with good views of Lake Superior. Our room had a partial view of the lake.

We had to climb a few flights of stairs to get the room from the office. I did not see an elevator.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluelightning
Shorewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I would return to the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn any time that I visit Duluth, but I would have to been in the same room I had this first visit. It was one of the pine rooms with a lake view, fireplace, hot tub, refrigerator and microwave. It was clean and cozy. Although some visitors might not like it, I enjoyed the glow of their neon sign, which served as a nightlight for me.

Room Tip: You must stay in one of their top rooms! Other customers complained of the noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Doglady1027
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I needed just one night passing through Duluth to see my son at UMD and then camping in the North Shore. I was familiar with the location and generally knew what to expect - which was not much. I slept on top of the blankets in my clothes. The place needed paint and scrubbing in the bathroom. By the looks of other people coming and going from this hotel they may rent by the hour - if you get my drift.

Never again - I will sleep in my car before I book again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dominic L

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had rather spontaneously decided to go up north to Lake Superior and Duluth for the Three-Day-Easter-Weekend of 2012 and some of the inns and motels that I had called were fully booked by then. Luckily - I have to say in retrospect - the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn still had rooms available, so I stayed there while in Duluth. Location-wise the motel is awesome. It's easy to get to, has free on-site parking, it's within reasonable walking distance of Canal Park and in absolutely no time you're on Highway 61 driving along Lake Superior's north shore to a plethora of small to ample sized state parks.
I found the Voyageur Lakewalk Inn to be a nice, clean, classic motel with pretty decent sized rooms and accordingly sized, equally clean en suite bathrooms. Why would I not give it an 'excellent' rating then? Because calling a stack of paper cups, a large thermos with coffee and a box of donuts opposite the reception desk a 'continental breakfast' is preposterous. For a proper breakfast walk down three blocks on Superior Street to the Coney Island Diner.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo