“some of the most beautiful scenery EVER”

Ranked #1 of 94 things to do in Duluth
Northern Minnesota
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“some of the most beautiful scenery EVER”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I can't say enough about how beautiful our North Shore drive was last year. We drove from Duluth up to Split Rock Light House. There are tons of scenic stops on the way. THe fall colors were AMAZING and the lake was beautiful! We stopped at Goosberry falls, which is free to do - the waterfalls are really neat. I've traveled in Europe and the scenery on this road rivals that of some of the best I've ever seen! I would recommend going in the fall to take advantage of the changing leaves - but I'm sure any time of year would be beautiful. you won't be disappointed.

Visited October 2010
3 Thank mngirl81

Saint Paul, Minnesota
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Slow down and take the scenic route...”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

In a world where everyone is in a rush to get to where they are going, it is nice to take a moment, breathe, and slow life down a bit.

There are some wonderful pull off spots along this drive. Be sure to pack a picnic lunch so you can pull off and really enjoy the lake. One of our favorite spots is Brighton Beach (on Brighton Beach Road), after lunch be sure to stick your feet in the water and relax.

5 Thank crzymallard
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“wonderful history AND scenary”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

trip up the scenic road from duluth to two harbors is awesome, and the ride further north to grand portage is equally breathtaking. I did it in august with a friend and we were on two genuine scooters. what a blast. lot's of "artisinal" type food en route and some decent basic places as well.

3 Thank scooterboy1
La Crosse, Wisconsin
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Beautfiul day trip”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Do yourself a favor, spend a day driving up the north shore on the scenic Hwy 61. There are TONS of look out points just off the hwy, several waterfalls within walking distance of the highway (if you know where to look!), and tons of shops along the way. Make sure to stop at Russ Kendall's smoked fish shop and the chocolate shop just north of there (seriously, best chocolate I've ever had!).

3 Thank nursetraveler87
Richfield, Minnesota, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Trip Made Even Better!”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My family and I make the trip from the Twin Cities and along the North Shore Scenic Drive every three years or so. We love it so much! This year we found something called an audio tour that follows our usual path from the Cities and along the Lake Superior shore. I have to say that it made our trip so much more interesting to be able to listen to the history of each area we passed through, and the kids loved it too. No DVD player needed! I would highly recommend the company called Open Road Adventures to anyone who is planning to make this trip.

Visited July 2011